Clapping banned at British University

Spin your yarns here.
Zandit75

Clapping banned at British University

Post by Zandit75 »

Ok, I get that performing can be stressful, but receiving an applause at the end of your performance should not be a trigger for anxiety.
Check out the article below and let me know your thoughts. Admittedly, the article is not aimed at just the performers, but also people in the audience who have issues with loud noises. Interesting issue, and there is precedent where some cultures don't clap for anything.

https://nypost.com/2018/10/03/universit ... s-instead/
AndrewMeronek

Re: Clapping banned at British University

Post by AndrewMeronek »

If clapping is an issue for some people sensitive to loud noises, what about the performances themselves?

There may be a difference, but I'm skeptical.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

Nope, it's not April 1.

I predict a short life for that initiative. How would they even enforce that?

On the other hand, string players have been air-tapping their bows instead of applauding for years.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
mrpillow

Post by mrpillow »

It is unclear if the initiative even affects any concerts or musical performances, as it seems to apply to student union meetings and mentions that
"Instead of clapping, students attending panels, debates and talks will need to express their appreciation with the sign language equivalent — a silent wave of the hand."
Organologique et plus!
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

It could also be fake news. But the more I think of it and how preposterous it sounds the more I believe it's real.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

This seems OK to me. We made buildings all handicapped accessible so that people who wanted to contribute to and participate in existing society but physically weren't able to could do so. This was a big deal, because most people just want to be normal and fit in, and I'm glad it's something we all take for granted today.

Changing widely held societal norms to accommodate people who could otherwise participate in society but are triggered by it seems perfectly acceptable. If you think of the cost of altering all the buildings in the past, just changing societal norms and society itself instead is a drop in the bucket!
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

I think what they are really trying to do is make a show of approval for one side in a debate less obvious.

If that's the goal they should just have a no-audience-response rule and take a vote at the end.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie

Return to “Tangents”