Introductions!

Spin your yarns here.
Tetraphosphate

Introductions!

Post by Tetraphosphate »

Hello :hi:
I thought that a thread where we can write a little about ourselves and get to know some other people would be a cool idea. Some things to say could be your favourite food, why you decided to learn trombone, sports you play, whether you think TTF will ever come back up, and just anything, really.

How about I start. My name is Janice, I'm from New Zealand and I love chickens. (chickens are great animals)
-----
Do look at the trombones!
RGVGeek

Re: Introductions!

Post by RGVGeek »

Hi,
I am usually a lurker, but I'll take part :).

My name is Kevin, I played trombone in high school, until I graduated in '82. Then in 2012 I decided to pick it up again. Luckily after a year or two of getting back in playing shape, I was able to join our local community band, which really was what help me keep playing. Last year I helped out a local community college by playing with their band and I was also able to sit in with the UT-RGV orchestra for a semester. So, now I have decided to take some music classes this coming semester to help improve my playing.

Over the course of these last 6 years after returning, I've collected a few horns. I have my blue P-Bone which I got first. A red alto P-Bone that I bought for my grandson to play with. My father-in-law is a retired band directory and he had a King beginner trombone (606?) sitting around, so he gave me that. After a few years I bought a new Getzen 725, and then I picked up an 1950's Getzen Super Deluxe on eBay. At the beginning of this summer I attended at Trombone Day at Texas A&M Kingsville and came home with a Bach 42BOF (Centennial). As for mouthpieces, I have way too many, but I've been playing Denis Wick pretty much exclusively (4BS/5BS) and recently got a good deal on a gold plated Wedge 5G that I am playing on the new Bach.

Kev
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

My name is Bruce. I was a serious trombone player through High School but decided to become an engineer since they eat better (at least I did until about 10 years ago). I restarted after a 20 year break when I moved to New Hampshire 35 years ago. I was able to win positions in two Community orchestras and decided to take some lessons. I have played with most groups in the northern Massachusetts and southern New Hampshire areas and am a regular player with 2 bands and one orchestra (where I am also President for this year). I also play in two Big Bands that play for Senior Center dances.

I started Moderating on TTF when they were still on the Online Trombone Journal and became an Administrator there a few years later. I agreed to Moderate this Forum because I was concerned about whether TTF would continue given Richard Byrd's poor health. I still hope TTF will come back, but clearly I'm hedging my bets.

And Janice, why the name Tetraphosphate?
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Tetraphosphate

Post by Tetraphosphate »

Well, this is probably really dumb but I used to (still do, actually) like the element phosphorus, so I decided on the name Tetraphosphate.

I've only actually been playing trombone for 2 years. I'm learning at school, and I play in my school's concert band. I really want to study trombone when I go to university (still a few years to go) so I'll have to work harder than I currently am (well I'm too lazy for my own good).

I found the link to this forum in someone's, I forgot who, someone's flair on the trombone subreddit, and I only found out TTF had gone down a few days ago... so yeah. Nice to meet you, Bruce and Kevin!
-----
Grah

Post by Grah »

I tend to get the rhythm section to play the last four bars of the tune.

Sorry, but I thought this was going to be a musical topic.
Grah

(Transcribing jazz solos is fraught with difficulties because exact rhythmic notation is well-nigh impossible. So listen carefully because it's the only way to learn how to play jazz trombone so that we can return to the Golden Age.) 8-)
sirisobhakya

Post by sirisobhakya »

Nice to meet you, Janice!

My name is Chaichan. I am from Thailand, but lived in Germany for one year as an exchange student during high school and 5.5 years in Japan. I start playing in grade 6, joined my school's concert band. I chose trombone because I saw the animation 101 Dalmatians, saw Roger Radcliffe played it, and thought it is cool. I played there until grade 9, after which time I changed school and played only occasionally through high school. I got serious again with university jazz big band, but transportation problem (my house is around 30km from the university, and if you know Bangkok's traffic, that is a really long distance) and the band's tiring schedule (they practice until 10 but sometimes even 2 in the morning) made me quit after the first concert. I then entered an 8-years hiatus until I worked in Japan and can afford my first horn. I then played in a community band of my city until I came back to Thailand 2 months ago. I now regularly visit my former school, actually to practice and play on my own, but my (former) band director always ask me to help teach the students.

I started my life as a 1st trombone and was proud of the fact, until I spiraled downward to the dark world of bass trombone around grade 10... And now I cannot go back.

Favourite food? Thai food obviously, to be more specific northeastern Thai food (papaya salad, if you have heard of it). But also sushi and any seafood. Favourite sports are badminton and cycling, but haven't had much chance to play them lately.

You are from New Zealand? I haven't been there (actually I have never crossed the equator once), but I would like to go there, if I have time (and lots and lots of money...)
Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Bangkok, Thailand
“Why did I buy so many horns when I only have one mouth…?”
Tetraphosphate

Post by Tetraphosphate »

Nice to meet you too, Chaichan!
Yes, I'm from New Zealand. It's a nice place... I have never been to Thailand, although I had a friend from there (but she moved back to Thailand). I like badminton and cycling too!
-----
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Hey, Phosphate. I've been to New Aealand. On a choral gour in 1990. Visited Auckland, Hamilton, Rotorua, Christchurch, Dunedin, and Milford Sound. Stayed on a sheep farm one night. Do you Brass Band? Maybe I saw you in the Brass Band championships last month?
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Tetraphosphate

Post by Tetraphosphate »

BGuttman wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:34 pm Hey, Phosphate. I've been to New Aealand. On a choral gour in 1990. Visited Auckland, Hamilton, Rotorua, Christchurch, Dunedin, and Milford Sound. Stayed on a sheep farm one night. Do you Brass Band? Maybe I saw you in the Brass Band championships last month?
I don't brass band, although I would love to join one one day, when I get better at trombone :mrgreen: And I would have loved to go to the championships, tho I had school so I couldnt. How about you? Do you brass band?
-----
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I don't play in a Brass Band, although I've substituted in one. I don't particularly care for the competition aspects of playing -- I watched the Championships for the musicianship.

I prefer to play orchestral tromone: hours of boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror. I also play in several concert bands and a few Big Bands.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
shider

Post by shider »

Hi Janice, nice to meet you!

My name is Jürgen (which will probably be difficult for you to read :biggrin: It's a variation of "George" if that makes things simpler...) and i am from Southern Germany.

I started trombone, because my uncle once played and my mother thought me and my brother should start learning an instrument. So it wasn't really a conscious descision for us, but i'm really glad my mother got us to start.
I'm now playing since about 14 years. Both me and my brother though somewhat diverted from where we started. He has almost completely switched to Bb Tuba and i have come to love the bass trombone :pant: I sometimes joke it's because we both have very deep voices and went for what felt more natural :idk:

As for favorite food: whatever i can cook by myself and tastes good.

As for sports: i like to play volleyball, but nothing organised, just a couple people getting together to play for fun.

About animals: not really my kind of thing.. i love cats, but in general i'm more the guy for mechanical stuff (i'm studying engineering right now)

New Zealand is great! I'm working for a company which does some field testing down there and hope i can go some time in the future!

Since brass band has been mentioned: there are not very much of these in Germany, but i will start playing bass trombone in one in September :biggrin:
Mostly i play in our community band, where i also conduct a youth orchestra and i occasionally play the traditional "german" music (polka, waltz, marches) with a small group of enthusiasts, most of them younger than 30. There is a trend at the moment in germany, where that kind of music becomes more popular, especially with young people like myself and i really appreciate that! :good:
Tetraphosphate

Post by Tetraphosphate »

shider wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:47 am Hi Janice, nice to meet you!

My name is Jürgen (which will probably be difficult for you to read :biggrin: It's a variation of "George" if that makes things simpler...) and i am from Southern Germany.

I started trombone, because my uncle once played and my mother thought me and my brother should start learning an instrument. So it wasn't really a conscious descision for us, but i'm really glad my mother got us to start.
I'm now playing since about 14 years. Both me and my brother though somewhat diverted from where we started. He has almost completely switched to Bb Tuba and i have come to love the bass trombone :pant: I sometimes joke it's because we both have very deep voices and went for what felt more natural :idk:

As for favorite food: whatever i can cook by myself and tastes good.

As for sports: i like to play volleyball, but nothing organised, just a couple people getting together to play for fun.

About animals: not really my kind of thing.. i love cats, but in general i'm more the guy for mechanical stuff (i'm studying engineering right now)

New Zealand is great! I'm working for a company which does some field testing down there and hope i can go some time in the future!

Since brass band has been mentioned: there are not very much of these in Germany, but i will start playing bass trombone in one in September :biggrin:
Mostly i play in our community band, where i also conduct a youth orchestra and i occasionally play the traditional "german" music (polka, waltz, marches) with a small group of enthusiasts, most of them younger than 30. There is a trend at the moment in germany, where that kind of music becomes more popular, especially with young people like myself and i really appreciate that! :good:
Nice to meet you too, Jürgen! I'd love to learn bass trombone one day, when I rack up the money to buy one :pant: Also your traditional music group sounds cool.
BGuttman wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:53 pm I don't play in a Brass Band, although I've substituted in one. I don't particularly care for the competition aspects of playing -- I watched the Championships for the musicianship.

I prefer to play orchestral tromone: hours of boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror. I also play in several concert bands and a few Big Bands.
I'm thinking I want to study trombone in university... and as I prefer classical over jazz, I'll probably end up playing orchestral trombone too :P
-----
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

Hi everyone! I'm primarily a trumpet player, but I do like playing trombone also, and I fill in from time to time on trombone, usually in a Big Band setting.
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Welcome!

You play a Shofar? Do you play on Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur?
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

Thank you!

I play occasionally. A number of fellow congregants play also, as do the rabbi and the cantor, who do most, and sometimes all, of the calls.
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Hi Tetra!

I started trombone in 6th grade. I was a few years later I was lucky enough to get as a teacher a new trombone player in Cleveland who had just joined the Cleveland Orchestra, James DeSano. While in high school a local Jr. college that just opened needed musicians so I ended up playing in a big band with John Fedchock. If you don't know of him, look him up.

Two quarters as a music major taught me I wasn't pro material. Graduating in a fiscal recession the only job I found was touring with a 3rd rate big band, low pay but a lot of adventure. Eventually i got real jobs. I used my trombone as a way to meet people wherever I was transferred at work, playing community bands, brass quintets, trombone choirs, and big bands. Actually owned and was music director for a good local big band last year until egos got in the way and I had to quit.

Other than playing small bore tenor, large bore tenor, and bass trombone, I have a pair of 1998 Ford Mustangs (one for me, one my wife's) I tinker with. We have an organic garden behind a garage covered with solar panels.

Never been on your side of the Pacific, but in 6th grade in 1968 I had an exchange teacher from the Auckland area. Learned to appreciate New Zealand from a native.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
HeavyLight

Post by HeavyLight »

Hello all!

My name is Doug and I work at a music store as a repair tech, teacher, and sometimes a manager. I went to college at Indiana University of Pennsylvania for music ed. Life takes strange turns but at the end of the day it's still great! My main instrument is my Conn 62H. I had a Getzen 747 for a little but sold it to one of my students because he liked it and I'm going to get a better tenor for myself. Other than that I have a bunch of instruments that aren't worth much but have just started collecting somehow. Go figure.
BeardedPicc

Post by BeardedPicc »

Hi all,

My name is Jace, and I'm a pretty new beginner. I just started practicing seriously on the 14th of this month, and I'm absolutely loving it! I actually look forward to practicing trombone almost evey day, which is a pretty new concept to me. You see, I am a classically trained flautist. I have my Bachelor's degree in flute performance, and I specialized on the piccolo! So I'm almost as far away from that as one can get right now. But you see, I got put on flute in beginning band but never really wanted to play it, but never put up much of a fight about it, I just stuck with it. When I fell in love with classical music and decided I wanted that to be my career I was told it was too late to switch instruments so I stuck with flute and ended up playing piccolo. As much as I loved the flute and picc, they never really meshed with me and I just never felt like I could say what I wanted to musically with them. Because of this I also never looked forward to practicing or working on my skills, because what was the point if it didn't fit? Stubborn me kept with it though, because I wasn't going to study anything other than music, it was the only thing that I wanted to pursue. I ended up taking time off from school after graduating, I got into a Masters program but couldn't find housing in the city, and decided to try some new instruments and see if there really was a better fit for me. Well three years later and I finally found it! I still want to pursue music professionally, although I have no idea what road that will take now that I'm basically starting over from scratch at 26. But I think I've finally found my musical voice in the trombone and I'm not letting that go!

As far as favorite food goes that would definitely be Mexican, I could eat Mexican food all day and not get tired of it.

For sports football(soccer), hockey, and baseball would definitely be my favorites, but I love a good lacrosse game as well! Big sports fan in general.

I've only been outside of the US once and that was on a cruise to the Bahamas, which was absolutely beautiful and really peaked my wanderlust. I can't wait to travel more and experience more cultures in person!

Thank you all for letting me become a member of this forum, which is a truly amazing resource!
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Welcome newcomers! Please let us know how we can assist you. Enjoy our community.
Russjones92

Post by Russjones92 »

Hello everyone I’m Russell and I’ve been playing since 05 (wow I feel like after 14 years I should be a lot better.) Anyways, I’m a band director, private lessons teacher, and church music director. Currently I just have one horn in the stable a small bore tenor, I really prefer bass though. Pleasure meeting everyone and I hope I can maybe help some people and continue to expand my own knowledge. God bless
trombonedemon

Post by trombonedemon »

Hi, my name is Dorey. I've playing trombone since 1992. Went to college at ECU majored in music. Left in 2003 to pursue other venues of employment to pay for college. Got married, had 2 kids. Switched to bass trombone cause of an injury while playing tenor. My Professor recently died of Pancreatic Cancer, just out of the blue. I cried like a baby. Still can't make sense of it all.
Conn 112 H w/bored out rotors w/heavyweight caps, Sterling Silver Edward's B3 and Shires B3 leadpipe w/62H slide. Long Island Brass Comp Dimensions 29.5 inner rim .323 backbore solid silver lefreque
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

trombonedemon wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:31 pm Hi, my name is Dorey. I've playing trombone since 1992. Went to college at ECU majored in music. Left in 2003 to pursue other venues of employment to pay for college. Got married, had 2 kids. Switched to bass trombone cause of an injury while playing tenor. My Professor recently died of Pancreatic Cancer, just out of the blue. I cried like a baby. Still can't make sense of it all.
Welcome! :hi:

We just lost a member of my brass quintet to pancreatic cancer. It's a brutal disease with a terrible survival rate. I think it was 9 months from discovery to death with a short period where it looked like she beat it.

I personally like bass trombone in orchestra since a lot of the composers of the mid-19th Century seemed to write it as the principal.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
trombonedemon

Post by trombonedemon »

BGuttman wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:37 pm
trombonedemon wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:31 pm Hi, my name is Dorey. I've playing trombone since 1992. Went to college at ECU majored in music. Left in 2003 to pursue other venues of employment to pay for college. Got married, had 2 kids. Switched to bass trombone cause of an injury while playing tenor. My Professor recently died of Pancreatic Cancer, just out of the blue. I cried like a baby. Still can't make sense of it all.
Welcome! :hi:

We just lost a member of my brass quintet to pancreatic cancer. It's a brutal disease with a terrible survival rate. I think it was 9 months from discovery to death with a short period where it looked like she beat it.

I personally like bass trombone in orchestra since a lot of the composers of the mid-19th Century seemed to write it as the principal.
Hi Bruce, its nothing like someone close to you like a private teacher leaving this Earth to have a person to question thy mortality.....etc. I'm sorry for your loss, I'm getting more blue as I get into my 40's, wanting to be more serious about life.
How did you cope with her passing?
Conn 112 H w/bored out rotors w/heavyweight caps, Sterling Silver Edward's B3 and Shires B3 leadpipe w/62H slide. Long Island Brass Comp Dimensions 29.5 inner rim .323 backbore solid silver lefreque
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

trombonedemon wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:05 pm ...
How did you cope with her passing?
We're still working on it. The Church where we rehearse and play 2 free concerts a year still wants us, so we're trying to find another player from the various subs we've used.

The gal who passed was the second youngest member of the quintet. She was all of 49 years old. :frown:
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Greetings fellow boneheads.

My name is Mike Miller and I live in Spartanburg, SC. I am a total trombone geek. I started in 7th grade way back in 1973 and did well enough in school to make 3rd chair all-state by by senior year. For some reason, I chose not to study music in college, which I sometimes regret, and other times am glad of. But I played in band and jazz band at Furman University, where one of my band mates was Kieth Lockhart, of Boston Pops fame. I went into ROTC and was in the Army for 3 years after school, during which I played my horn only sparingly. I got a job in Charlotte in 1985 and still didn't play much as I was more into cycling and whitewater kayaking at the time. Towards the end of my time in Charlotte, I met and became friends with a guy who happened to be a trombonist and he invited me to join a local community band. That was the start of my big comeback.

I moved back to Spartanburg at the end of 88 and re-connected with the local college wind ensemble and started playing there regularly. A few years later, some of us started a community band and a jazz band sprung out of that a year or two later. I have been active in both groups ever since. In 2003, I started a brass quintet and we have been playing regularly ever since. I also have become a regular in our local little theatre pit band and occasionally (very occasionally) get to sub with the local symphony.

I still enjoy cycling, with most of my riding on trails these days as cars scare the crap out of me. I have a wife, 2 dogs and 2 cats. I gave up kayaking a while back after a few scary moments on the river. For money, I run a small computer service business.

I try to play my horn almost every day for at least 30 minutes and sometimes up to an hour or more. I will never win any pro auditions or anything, but I feel like I play fairly well. I have been to the Southeast Trombone Symposium a couple of times in the last few years and most of those college whiz kids can play circles around me.

So that's my story and I am sticking to it.

Return to “Tangents”