Learned something about moving furniture this weekend

Spin your yarns here.
timothy42b

Learned something about moving furniture this weekend

Post by timothy42b »

I helped one of my kids move this weekend.

It's an unpleasant task - between lifting the heavy awkward stuff, and moving the light stuff endlessly, it gets old fast. One of the worst is the mattress. They're not heavy, but there's no handle, and they have to be manipulated around corners and stairs.

I bought a "Shoulder Dolly." It's a harness that two people wear, with a connecting strap. You squat, adjust, stand up, and walk away with it. Check youtube for examples. The mattress was effortless. The filing cabinet was moved with the drawers in place, no problem.

I wish I'd had one years ago. I highly recommend it. The Uhaul place where we rented the truck had several variations available at reasonable prices.
Matt K
Verified

Re: Learned something about moving furniture this weekend

Post by Matt K »

Yeah, between those and handtrucks, you can move just about anything. I just picked up a handtruck a few months ago and have no idea how I lived without it. They can even traverse stairs with heavy stuff without too much of a problem. I'm tempted to get a second one and modify it so that I can put all my gigging stuff on it and just pop it in the back of my car.
SteveFoote

Post by SteveFoote »

Add a four wheel dolly with a pull rope to your other equipment and you will be ready go in the moving business! Hopefully you will not have to move a piano. I've also used these under pieces of furniture that will not fit on a dolly and even under a couch turned up on one end to manipulate it through doorways and around various bends. Any device that allows you to roll rather than lift an object is a good friend!
King 3B Silver Sonic, Olds Opera, Conn 72H
SlidemanSailor

Post by SlidemanSailor »

Young, strong friends are priceless.
Intermediate 3rd trombone, always looking for people to play with in the lower-left-corner Montana wilderness.
Mostly: 2006 Conn 88HCL 525/547 bore, rose bell and 1958 Conn 6H
rarely: 1976 Yamaha YSL 354 and ex-middle-school Yamaha euphonium

Return to “Tangents”