Play louder

Spin your yarns here.
Kingfan

Play louder

Post by Kingfan »

play louder.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
harrisonreed

Re: Play louder

Post by harrisonreed »

I wish! I keep having the opposite experience. "Trombones, I just need more volume and edge in that section."

Like Dvorak's Finale from the New World symphony. Has anyone actually gotten the hand on that movement recently?
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

harrisonreed wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:37 pm "Trombones, I just need more volume and edge in that section."
I got that in one small part of Carmina Burana a few years ago. We complied. :biggrin:
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
JKno

Post by JKno »

I was asked to try out for our HS jazz band, I was to read off the 1st chair part. This was fall of "88. Afterburner was the tune... I was sight reading and doing well. After we got done the saxes (right in front of us) turned around and one said "We didn't know trombone had a part in this piece!" Lack of volume wasn't an issue... lol
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

About 15-17 years ago a local trumpet teacher and I played a high school graduation in Germany when the band had many seniors graduating and needed a little extra help. We'd both helped out occasionally and the band kids knew us (and our own kids.)

When we sat down, one of the band kids said, "OMG! It's the two loudest brass players in the entire world! I might as well not be here." Pretty sure that quote is verbatim.

Fast forward - the groups I play with are always waving for more, but that's all I've got.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I was playing on a recording for Roberts Wesleyan College chorale in the late 1990s, I think. There is some really incredible Bruckner stuff for chorus and 3 trombones and organ. They had hired two trombone players from Eastman, and me. I was living and working around Rochester at the time, and played in a lot of groups. We were standing out in the middle of the big catholic church while the 60 piece chorus was on the podium.

Music director "trombones, you're getting buried". You never hear that, especially when playing with voices.

:shock:

It was a rare opportunity, but we cut loose, and tried to keep the intonation in bounds. I've had this huge affinity for Bruckner ever since. Best musical experience of my life.

https://www.albanyrecords.com/mm5/merch ... ange_high=

I also played in Navy fleet bands for 4 years. The philosophy at the Armed Forces School of Music was to make 15 people sound like 60. Intonation rules only applied if you cared to do it, or if it was bad enough the director noticed, and some didn't.

Fast forward to now when I'm trying to get a quintet off the ground, and the horn player for some reason can't keep up volume wise. I keep trying to coax him into playing louder mainly so I don't have to back off myself or ask the trumpet players to back off, which of course is a waste of breath.

Return to “Tangents”