Olds Guys Sticking Together

Spin your yarns here.
officermayo

Olds Guys Sticking Together

Post by officermayo »

Made my first rehearsal with a community wind band at the local Jr College last night. As I didn't know what part I'd be playing (ended up on 1st) I took my '47 Recording along using a Olds #3 mp. Turns out the guy on 2nd sitting next to me was playing a '47 Super. Needless to say we had fun shooting the breeze about our shared love for Olds trombones.
"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
hyperbolica

Re: Olds Guys Sticking Together

Post by hyperbolica »

officermayo wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:54 am Made my first rehearsal with a community wind band at the local Jr College last night. As I didn't know what part I'd be playing (ended up on 1st) I took my '47 Recording along using a Olds #3 mp. Turns out the guy on 2nd sitting next to me was playing a '47 Super. Needless to say we had fun shooting the breeze about our shared love for Olds trombones.
"Old guys stick together"?!?!? That's the first I've heard that. It's been my experience that we are more often falling apart.

Seriously, though, love my '54 Recording.
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

I guess maybe I'm an Olds guy? I use an s24 bell on my horn, love it!
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass
BrassSection

Post by BrassSection »

Used to play in church with a fellow about my age that played sax. Playing contemporary Christian music without music. Had a music only service that lasted well over an hour, with me bouncing back and forth trumpet and trombone and Eddy on his sax. At the end of the service he had two observations: Chicago doesn’t have anything on us, and can you imagine the guys our age that played football still playing as hard as we did! Enjoyed playing with him, he has since passed on. Did have a college bone player with me for about a year, which relegated me to primarily trumpet. Enjoyed playing with him too, as a player who is basically self taught since leaving high school I enjoy playing with people who have more “professional” training than I do, usually manage to learn something from them. Nice to play with the older fellows, but like early 50s cars, there’s not a whole lot of them in daily use!
BrassSection

Post by BrassSection »

Oh wait, that was Olds guys, not old guys. At least my euph is an Olds!

Return to “Tangents”