Trombones turns out to be a good investment for me

Spin your yarns here.
imsevimse

Trombones turns out to be a good investment for me

Post by imsevimse »

Hello

I never expected my trombones to be a good investment in money.
When I bought them I had as a plan not to bid more than my total cost to be a maximum of 2000 SKR above the price I think it would sell for in a shop over here. I understood this what was I had to do to win the ones that I wanted. Many trombones were bought a lot cheaper than that of course. The odd thing now is the SKR is so weak my trombones start to be a very good investment. Now 1$ is 10,63 SKR and when I bought my last trombone off eBay many years ago I think the dollar was around 7 SKR. Thats a win if I sell of at least 30% :good:

Very unexpected.

/Tom
Crazy4Tbone86

Re: Trombones turns out to be a good investment for me

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Yep, exchange rates can do some interesting things to your finances. Back in 1995 (prior to the Euro) I was very concerned about sticking to a budget while traveling in Switzerland. A small breakfast was costing me $35+ US dollars. Two weeks later I was traveling in Hungary, Slovakia and the Czech Republic……all places that had very favorable exchange rates at the time. I specifically remember sitting in a restaurant in Pilsen for about three hours and ordering enough food for three or four people……the tab was only about $6 US dollars!

I suppose if one follows the world markets and exchange rates, there are strategic ways to make money buying/selling musical instruments based on favorable exchange rates. Of course, it will be a lot more competitive these days because the Internet allows menu more people to be savvy with such things.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

As you can imagine, I too found trombones are a good investment. I count in Swiss francs wich is historically a very strong currency. Especially now.

So right now it's a good time for me to buy. But bad to sell. It's always a gamble...

Also I frequently sell in Euros and prefer holding the Euros rather than change to Swiss Francs immediately. Usually that was a good strategy. But with the low Euro, I lost 20% of value within some days.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

The $6 lamb rack, full course dinner in the fanciest hotel in Ulanbataar, Mongolia, comes to mind.

In Japan too. The exchange SHOULD be 100 yen to the dollar, as that is how things are priced here (a decent lunch is 1000 yen). But I get 140 yen to the dollar on a good day. An insane discount.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

harrisonreed wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:16 pm The $6 lamb rack, full course dinner in the fanciest hotel in Ulanbataar, Mongolia, comes to mind.

In Japan too. The exchange SHOULD be 100 yen to the dollar, as that is how things are priced here (a decent lunch is 1000 yen). But I get 140 yen to the dollar on a good day. An insane discount.
Yes, I have done some shopping at Japanese shops lately. The USD buys a lot of Yen right now!
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns

Return to “Tangents”