Hello

Spin your yarns here.
RedpBone

Hello

Post by RedpBone »

Hi Everyone,

My name is Paul and I am new to the trombone and this forum. I used to play guitar quite well but hand problems put an end to that. I've been looking for something else and a red pBone spoke to me from my local music store's walls. I am looking forward to the journey and to learning from you all.

All the best,

Paul
Kingfan

Re: Hello

Post by Kingfan »

Welcome! The trombone is a fun and versatile instrument. Let us know how we can help you on your journey. Bon voyage!
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
RedpBone

Post by RedpBone »

Thanks Kingfan.
jorymil

Post by jorymil »

Welcome to the trombone community, Paul. You chose the right color, too!
RedpBone

Post by RedpBone »

jorymil wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:53 pm Welcome to the trombone community, Paul. You chose the right color, too!
Thanks Jorymil. I thought the red was pretty sharp.
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

Welcome. That's great. Let us know how the PBone is working for you. When you get ready for a metal trombone (or Carbon Fiber :D ) I'm sure this forum can help you out with that.

Have fun. That's what it's all about.
Steve
RedpBone

Post by RedpBone »

sacfxdx wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:45 am Welcome. That's great. Let us know how the PBone is working for you. When you get ready for a metal trombone (or Carbon Fiber :D ) I'm sure this forum can help you out with that.

Have fun. That's what it's all about.
Hi Steve, thank you. I am having a lot of fun. My first lesson is Thursday. Looking forward to it.

Cheers,

Paul
Ozzlefinch

Post by Ozzlefinch »

Welcome!

I purchased a Pbone this last December. Overall it's a decent horn, but it does not mix will with other brass. I would use it for practice, solo work, or with other plastic horns. Also, it's not exactly a beginner's instrument. I find that it takes more breath control and the slide is harder to work. It's much easier to play a brass horn. But it does have advantages. It's super light weight, it doesn't dent, and it comes in fun colors (I got the electric blue because why not?). Definitely worth having, but not as an only horn, or even a primary instrument.

You can get really good second hand brass trombones all day long for under $200. After a while you might want to consider getting one.
RedpBone

Post by RedpBone »

Ozzlefinch wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:51 am Welcome!

I purchased a Pbone this last December. Overall it's a decent horn, but it does not mix will with other brass. I would use it for practice, solo work, or with other plastic horns. Also, it's not exactly a beginner's instrument. I find that it takes more breath control and the slide is harder to work. It's much easier to play a brass horn. But it does have advantages. It's super light weight, it doesn't dent, and it comes in fun colors (I got the electric blue because why not?). Definitely worth having, but not as an only horn, or even a primary instrument.

You can get really good second hand brass trombones all day long for under $200. After a while you might want to consider getting one.
Hi Ozzlefinch,

Thanks for your reply. I am considering a brass horn. However, I do like the weight of the pBone. I'm sure I won't find a brass horn as light.

Cheers,

Paul
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

No you won't, but you could find a carbon fiber horn that light. Not going to be cheap, though.

I found my plastic trombone (Cool Winds, with the F-attachment) played better when I had a brass mouthpiece so that may be an early upgrade. Still not good to play in a group, but for home practice it's fine. I never had a chance to take it out Christmas Caroling, but that would be a good use as well.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
RedpBone

Post by RedpBone »

BGuttman wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:56 am No you won't, but you could find a carbon fiber horn that light. Not going to be cheap, though.

I found my plastic trombone (Cool Winds, with the F-attachment) played better when I had a brass mouthpiece so that may be an early upgrade. Still not good to play in a group, but for home practice it's fine. I never had a chance to take it out Christmas Caroling, but that would be a good use as well.
Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the tip. I am planning on mouthpiece shopping this weekend. Now to figure out which one to get.

All the best,

Paul

Return to “Tangents”