Looking for a universal carry case

Spin your yarns here.
Ozzlefinch

Looking for a universal carry case

Post by Ozzlefinch »

I have a valve trombone sans case and I am wondering if anyone in the community has an idea for a replacement? There's zero chance of getting a factory case. Have you built or bought any? Repurpose something else?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CalgaryTbone

Re: Looking for a universal carry case

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I would think that there is a gig bag that would work - probably something big enough for a large bore horn to give you a little extra room. You can always add a little foam inside to add protection. It looks like that valve section would fit in a Reunion Blues or Cronkite slide holder. It is shorter than a slide, and the valves stick out a little, so something that isn't too form fitting would be best. If you are hoping for a hard case, I think you would have to modify a case - maybe a square "coffin-style" case would be the best starting point for that.

Jim Scott
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Check with Superfine Cases: https://superfinecases.com/trombone-cases/

Tom Rice (greenbean here on TC) is the owner. Nice guy to deal with, great product.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

If you are thinking a hard case, look at a Pelican case and just carve some foam out to fit. If forget the models, but there is a 1630 or 1730 or something that should be plenty large enough. Might even be able to get away with one of their smaller luggage sized boxes.

Cheers,
Andy
Ozzlefinch

Post by Ozzlefinch »

Thanks for the suggestions. The Pelican 1740 case looks like it would work just fine. So would a Superfine gig bag. I have to think about the best course of action, probably leaning towards the Pelican or similar military grade case for the better protection in traveling and less chance of storage damage.

Return to “Tangents”