How to part ways from a teacher?

Spin your yarns here.
JCBone

How to part ways from a teacher?

Post by JCBone »

What is the proper etiquette for parting ways from a teacher?
CalgaryTbone

Re: How to part ways from a teacher?

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I'm not sure if there's an actual proper etiquette, but I think that giving some notice would be a good thing if they are a private teacher who maintains a private studio. Give them a chance to fill the time slot. A couple of weeks or maybe telling them at the beginning of the month that it will be the last month would be good in my mind.

If you're unsatisfied with how things have been going, I don't think you need to go into full details, unless you want to. I would be honest, though, and say that you're looking for a change. I made up an excuse to my first high school teacher when I changed to a new teacher - said something like I was stopping lessons. Then he found out that I was studying with another teacher. I was only a kid, but I still regret not having the courage to tell him the truth, because I was afraid to deliver bad news - he deserved that courtesy of an honest response.

Jim Scott
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I would think students come and go all the time. No big deal.
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

In the year 2000...

You can tell your wife you're leaving her in a "text message" but... the trombone teacher... hmmm, this will require dinner and some crying.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

It's a business relationship. If you ever wanted to do business with them again, you should complete all the lessons you had scheduled, or give them a reasonable time out to stop and cancel future lessons.

If you hate them and never will see them again, then just tell them you're not taking lessons any longer, and need to cancel future lessons.
ArbanRubank

Post by ArbanRubank »

The best teacher will teach you how to teach yourself and release you as a student when you are ready.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

ArbanRubank wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:31 am The best teacher will teach you how to teach yourself and release you as a student when you are ready.
But check out this opinion:

https://www.betterup.com/blog/what-happ ... ed-a-coach
ArbanRubank

Post by ArbanRubank »

timothy42b wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:30 am
ArbanRubank wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:31 am The best teacher will teach you how to teach yourself and release you as a student when you are ready.
But check out this opinion:

https://www.betterup.com/blog/what-happ ... ed-a-coach
Oh, right! I neglected to mention that there will be periodic reviews! :wink:
PosauneCat

Post by PosauneCat »

robcat2075 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:08 pm In the year 2000...

You can tell your wife you're leaving her in a "text message" but... the trombone teacher... hmmm, this will require dinner and some crying.
:-)

Return to “Tangents”