Slide/bell angles

Spin your yarns here.

Your slide is mated to your bell at what angle?

A right angle
47%
Slightly more than a right angle
7%
Slightly less than a right angle
36%
Significantly more than a right angle
No votes
Significantly less than a right angle
10%

Total votes: 70
skeletal

Slide/bell angles

Post by skeletal »

Posted in the tangent section because it's irrelevant, but I'm curious nonetheless.
BGuttman

Re: Slide/bell angles

Post by BGuttman »

The angle can vary some.

Most of my attachment horns go at slightly less than a right angle (would be called "acute").

Some small bores with really narrow slides may go at more than a right angle (would be called "obtuse").
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

For no good reason other than aesthetics, I use a 90 degree angle on all trombones.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Elow

Post by Elow »

I used a right angle on my old bass but that was because i put a ring on the slide to hold it easier, now it a little less than a 90 degree. On my 3B i use a little wider than 90 and i still have to put all three fingers on the cork barrel to be comfortable
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

Right angle on every trombone I use, regardless of size.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Years ago, I remember reading part of someone's dissertation on the impacts (perceived by performers and listeners in blind audition format) of several variables in trombone equipment set-up. A couple of the variables were things like adding a doughnut weight to the mouthpiece and altering the angle of the slide versus the bell section.

It was about 25 years ago, so I cannot remember much of the article. I think that the listeners were all trombone graduate students and the performers ranged from high school students to professionals. I also cannot remember the 3 or 4 other things that were altered on the instruments....possibly weight added to the bell was one of them?!?

If I recall correctly, a small portion of the performers felt that opening up the angle on their slide made their sound more open and broad. However, the listeners behind the wall observed no change in tone color. Thus, it was concluded that any perceived correlation between slide angle and tone quality was likely a placebo effect.

I found the document entertaining because of the many discussions I had with my peers in college about how and why that set up their equipment certain ways. I think it really comes down to....if it feels good and works for you, do it!
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

On modern trombone it was a right angle or very slightly more acute (maybe 80-85°). Since I've started playing historical trombones, I use I think a 60-70° angle. First of all because my grip is different (and doesn't involve the bell stay at all), and with the grip I use, the neckpipe goes closer to my neck and so the bell is slightly rotated away from my face. The more acute angle compensates for that and brings the bell back up a little bit. And also because my instruments are all friction fit. The bigger the angle, the further away from the tenon the centre of gravity moves, and the more tork is put on it from the weight of the bell, and the more the bell wants to slip off the slide. Having your bell get loose and droop down to your shoulder while you're in the middle of playing extended runs of fast notes (it's always when it happens), especially during a concert, is really, really annoying! I find that the shallower angle almost completely solved that.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

It varies.

During a piece we played yesterday, it started at 90 degrees, was close to 110 by measure 16, and was chasing 135 by the trio. But for six measures of rest, it would have reached 180!
Oslide

Post by Oslide »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:19 am --- snippet ---
If I recall correctly, a small portion of the performers felt that opening up the angle on their slide made their sound more open and broad. However, the listeners behind the wall observed no change in tone color. Thus, it was concluded that any perceived correlation between slide angle and tone quality was likely a placebo effect.
Changing the angle between bell and slide will also slightly change the angle by which the sound from the bell hits your ears. There will be a difference. Whether you care to hear it is up to you, but I don't think it's just "placebo".
Ceterum censeo to fetch All of TTF
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

Oslide wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:04 pm
Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:19 am --- snippet ---
Changing the angle between bell and slide will also slightly change the angle by which the sound from the bell hits your ears. There will be a difference. Whether you care to hear it is up to you, but I don't think it's just "placebo".
Might change how it hits the player's ear, but won't make a difference to the audience.
Kevbach33

Post by Kevbach33 »

I've been toying with the angle on my small bore. It does feel somewhat comfortable at a slightly obtuse angle, though i typically use a right angle. However, would the bell stay at that slight angle or end up going wider on the gig...?

Bass is right angle only; it does not work with my hand and the 2nd valve lever any other way.

The large tenor with F attachment is likely to stay at a right angle, at least for now. With the trigger behind the bell brace, any other angle is awkward, though better than the bass.
Kevin Afflerbach
'57 Conn 6H, Warburton 9M/9D/T3★
'62 Holton 168, Bach 5GL
Getzen 1052FD Eterna, Pickett 1.5S
F. Schmidt 2103 BBb Tuba, Laskey 30G
Wessex Tubas TE360P Bombino
John Packer JP274MKII Euphonium, Robert Tucci RT-7C
Cotboneman

Post by Cotboneman »

My head is too big for anything less than a 90 degree angle LOL
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I use a gauge every time I put my trombone together, to ensure it is exactly 83.74⁰ every time.

Serious answer, though - I have started reducing the angle because I noticed that the weight distribution changed a bit, and it let the mouthpiece angle onto my face better.
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

harrisonreed wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:07 pm I use a gauge every time I put my trombone together, to ensure it is exactly 83.74⁰ every time.

Serious answer, though - I have started reducing the angle because I noticed that the weight distribution changed a bit, and it let the mouthpiece angle onto my face better.
That would be 83° 44' 24". I'll have to try it myself. I will be trying different angles to see if they produce changes in comfort and/or ease/efficiency of playing.
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
ronnies

Post by ronnies »

I try to stick to 90 degrees or very slightly more acute.

Ronnie
Shires Tru-Bore (Bb/F/Gb/D)
Bach Stradivarius 42 (unlacquered bell)
Excel Bb/F/Gb/D (Chinese made Yamaha YBL-613G clone)
thecoast

Post by thecoast »

Very interesting and useful discussion. Very helpful. Thanks for the answer to questions I didn’t need to ask.
---Lu Acosta
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

No worries: Question of the year has already been taken.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
calcbone

Post by calcbone »

No votes for “significantly more than a right angle.”

I’m a “slightly acute” guy, but there was one person I marched with in college who did use a very obtuse angle. He played a Benge 165F, and the bell almost rested on his shoulder!
=Tommy=
Trombone, stats, & precalculus

Bach 8 NY
King 3B Silversonic
Bach 36 MV
Shires dual bore/Thayer/1G
Bach 50A3/Edwards slide
PhilE

Post by PhilE »

As someone here (may have been the old forum) said in response to this difficult issue - the right angle is the right angle.

The uniform of the band I play with includes a hat with a wide brim.

It's great when playing outdoors in summer however the bell section bumps the back of the hat up which sends the front down and impairs one's forward vision. Not so good when marching.

We get around that by flattening the angle out so the bell section is more or less parallel with the shoulder.
tylerdold

Post by tylerdold »

Any time I hold anyone else's horn, I just have to adjust the angle to be about 75-80°, the valves are just so uncomfortable to me otherwise
nicboneman

Post by nicboneman »

On tenor, a bit less than 90°; on my bass that has a 10 1/2 in bell, there is about a half inch between the top slide tube and the bell, so quite a bit of an acute angle. I find the weight of the bell is more centered so it’s easier for the wrist.

Return to “Tangents”