Which finger for fourth valve on a euphonium

Spin your yarns here.

What finger do you use for your 4th valve on a compensating euphonium?

Index
70%
Middle
23%
Other
8%

Total votes: 40
Elow

Which finger for fourth valve on a euphonium

Post by Elow »

Just curious what everyone uses to press down their fourth valve on the side, i use my middle, but apparently that’s uncommon. I think it’s because i double bass trombone, so i’m used to using that finger
robcat2075

Re: Which finger for fourth valve on a euphonium

Post by robcat2075 »

I played a Euphonium in college that had the fourth valve on the side. It was not a "compensating" valve design, it had a slide intended for that compensating that I rarely did.

But the way one held that horn it seemed to be wanting the first finger on that fourth valve rather than some other.

Edit: now that i think about it, this is impossible. You can't have a slide and fourth valve operated by the left hand. I must be thinking of two different Euphoniums!
Last edited by robcat2075 on Sun May 02, 2021 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

My 4 valve Euph is 4 up, so I use the pinkie for that. I have an Eb tuba that is 3 up and 1 over and I use the index finger on that.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

My first 4v euph was a right-leaning British traditional 3+1 where the 3 are on the top using the right hand and the 1 is lower, using a finger of the left (I guess the index finger) , which I guess what you are asking about.

My second euphonium has 4v inline in front , pinky drives the 4th valve, left-leaning horn. This is the Wessex Festivo, one of only 2 compensating 4v in front horns in existence.

My 3rd euphonium is the right-leaning, King 2280, 4v on top, non compensating. Pinky on 4.

And I'm trying to get a 4 In front, left-leaning non-compensating (pinky on 4) 24i.

And I have a 4v in front non-comp BBb tuba.

I think "real" euph players use 3+1, and have a hard time adjusting to the pinky. But I don't know what I'm doing, so I'm not opposed to throwing a little pinky in here and there. It's a little awkward, but less awkward than the overall body position for 3+1.

Euphonium for me is an escape from the ergonomic nightmare of bass trombone,. 4 in the front is like holding a baby. 4 on top or 3+1 is like scratching your right side as you throw a baseball.
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

The few times I played a 4 up euph, I found it rather easy to use my left index on the 4th, as my right pinky is the weaker of my fingers.
And definitely left index on the 3+1
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Bonearzt wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:14 am The few times I played a 4 up euph, I found it rather easy to use my left index on the 4th, as my right pinky is the weaker of my fingers.
This is the way I've seen a lot of trumpet players handle a 4 valve trumpet.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
BHolleyBrass

Post by BHolleyBrass »

The tuning trigger on most 3+1 euphoniums is typically operated with the left thumb and the fourth valve is typically operated by the left index finger. Either finger works without a trigger, but the tuning trigger adds: 1. more weight to the left hand and 2. a very awkward hand position if you're trying to use the thumb trigger for the slide and the middle finger on the fourth valve. Using the index finger on the fourth valve puts all of that weight on the bottom three fingers together. Endurance(and speed)-wise, it makes more sense to use the left index finger, so that's what I do and what I teach.

Some folks (myself included) use the left forefinger to operate the fourth valve on 4-inline-style euphoniums (like the YEP-321). Like hyperbolica said, the four front action valves are much more pinky-activating-friendly than the four on top horns (at least on the 5J-style tubas).
S.E. Shires Ralph Sauer Tenor
AR Resonance ML GR1 72
bbocaner

Post by bbocaner »

I use the index finger but I have seen a few of the top professionals using their middle finger so I wouldn't say it's wrong.
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

N/A - 3 valves is enough
Cotboneman

Post by Cotboneman »

I use my index finger on my compensating Euphonium.
Pezza

Post by Pezza »

I use my index & middle together. I used to just use my index, but when I routered off the tip I had to use the middle finger. After it healed I used both, now for over 25 years!
Am I a trombone player who plays euphonium, or a euphonium player who plays trombone? :idk:
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Funny just finding this topic! I use my middle finger. I have smaller hand and use the index finger to help grip the instrument. Easier to hold that way and I eventually got used to using my middle finger.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
mbtrombone

Post by mbtrombone »

Just saw this post/poll. I use my middle because my index can only just reach the fourth valve in a 3+1 configuration. This goes for one euphonium with a tuning trigger activated by the thumb and one euphonium that doesn’t have a tuning trigger. I am also primarily a bass trombone player so my middle finger is more nimble than my index on my left hand.

Return to “Tangents”