TMJ and trombone

Spin your yarns here.
lightorange

TMJ and trombone

Post by lightorange »

I don't know where to ask this so I guess I'll just put it here.

I have TMJ, which basically means my jaw joints are messed up. This causes me some pain in general, but recently it's starting to become a bigger issue in the way of my playing. I'm losing a lot of motivation to practice because whenever I do, my jaw starts hurting just within the first few minutes of warming up. (I'm currently working on an alto trombone piece, if that's helpful info)

Does anyone else on here have similar jaw pain issues/have TMJ and know of ways to deal with it?

:alto:
Doug Elliott

Re: TMJ and trombone

Post by Doug Elliott »

I had it through my 20's at a time when I was doing a lot of playing. Mine wasn't painful but it did lock up and pop. Eventually it went away.

I suggest doing the standard things a good dentist would recommend, although I know there are a lot of opinions. Look at all the potential causes and fix them as possible. Also my usual recommendation to make sure your playing is mechanically correct for your anatomy.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
biggiesmalls

Post by biggiesmalls »

Basic application of Alexander Technique might be helpful:
Tbonedaddy1973

Post by Tbonedaddy1973 »

I know I'm a little late to the party, but there are a few things to consider. Your TMJ issues could possibly from compacted wisdom teeth (Growing sideways). I had this problem when I was in university (over 20 years ago). I was getting jaw and tooth pain when I played. Much better after getting my wisdom teeth removed.
Something else to consider, if there is no damage to the joints or cartilage, is tight muscles or a restriction of your fascia or the sutures between your skull bones.

A lot of times, I've worked on many people who have jaw issues. (I'm a massage therapist and manual osteopath). Many times their jaw tension and pain comes from tight neck muscles. Other times, there is a "jamming" of skull bones together that causes some restriction or imbalance resulting in pain and discomfort.
I would recommend getting a dentist to check if your wisdom teeth are a potential and/or seeing a massage therapist or manual osteopath who does Cranial Sacral Therapy.

Return to “Tangents”