Morendi? Too many!

Spin your yarns here.
robcat2075

Morendi? Too many!

Post by robcat2075 »

Even the audience gets a bad review in this NY Times notice...
Wolf&Hollman.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
harrisonreed

Re: Morendi? Too many!

Post by harrisonreed »

The fake intellectualism that pushes so many away from classical music, to the point that it is now cliche (nobody listens to classical music, especially new classical music), was very much at work even in 1892...

The reviewer sounds like a blast to hang out with. Said no one ever.
MagnumH

Post by MagnumH »

Reads to me like an early David Sedaris, though unfortunately not as tongue-in-cheek.

Going forward I intend to review all of my audiences poorly every time they don't love me. ;)
Matt Hawke
Trombonist/Arranger/Bandleader
White Hot Brass Band // The Sideways // The Brass Machine
Stable: BAC Paseo W6 w/ DE MTN102 B+3; King 3B/F w/ Bach 4C; King 2B w/ King 12C
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

MagnumH wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:23 pm Reads to me like an early David Sedaris
I've been reading it in the voice of Glenn Gould and Margaret Dumont.
>>Robert Holmén<<

See my Spacepod movie
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

That's classic.

He's lucky he could play the piano reasonably well. He'd be insufferable otherwise.
>>Robert Holmén<<

See my Spacepod movie
boneagain

Post by boneagain »

robcat2075 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:28 pm I've been reading it in the voice of Glenn Gould and Margaret Dumont.
Ah! THERE we go!

Reading material that is VERY much a product of a VERY different time as if it were the product of OUR time can give, shall we say, misleading results?

This is a good case in point. I tried to read this in the context of a writer vying with other "eyespace" in THE medium of the time. In that context, I found the "fake intellectualism" not in the writer, but the players.

The writer was selling newspapers. His use of what would now be too many adjectives was quite typical of the time. In fact, his language was ramped back from some not-too-much earlier text by famous vocal teachers, ALSO decrying the same exagerations.

So, can anyone else see intellectualism in the players? A modern reviewer might have written, "the duo played well but were overthinking and excessive in their use of expressive tricks."

I find my self leaning more and more toward trying to search such articles for what I can use to help myself and friends grow. Along the same lines, I lean away from casting negative criticism that only serves to increase my displeasure with the world.

Oh, hey, this reads like some fake intellectualism. I'd better stop before it gets COMPLETELY out of control :D
ArbanRubank

Post by ArbanRubank »

Every generation thinks they are the coolest & hippest generation ever.

Return to “Tangents”