Safety Razor Question

Spin your yarns here.
Driswood

Safety Razor Question

Post by Driswood »

I got tired of crappy shaves and spending too much money, so I ditched my cartridge razor about six months ago. I picked up a Oneblade razor. It's a single edge razor. I got some Sir Shave shave soap, a quality brush, and Proraso preshave lube. I'm getting great shaves with NO CUTS OR NICKS!

Now, I'm looking to add a double edge razor. Anyone have any suggestions? I just ordered a 1963 Gillette Speed Razor - the fantail. It's listed as medium aggressive. Anyone have experience with this one? If it doesn't work, I'm only out $18.00.

Also, do you have a favorite shave soap?

I use Feather blades. Super sharp, and I get a great shave!

Thanks in advance for any info.
Jerry Walker

Happily Retired :good:

1957 Conn 6H
Schilke 47B
1989 Yamaha YSL-684G
Bach 6 3/4C
RoscoTrombone

Re: Safety Razor Question

Post by RoscoTrombone »

I don't know much about cut throat razors per say but since I started using Brickell Face Scrub pre shave it's virtually eliminated any cuts.

I would always get nicks between the bottom of my chin and Adam's apple but using this has really helped. A little goes a long way and the pot is lasting well but then I only shave twice a week.

Ross
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I gave up shaving in mid-March. Why shave when you're sitting isolated at home? :idk:

(Actually, I still shave my neck, using a Gillette Fusion cartridge and a small amount of high-quality shave cream in a tube. Takes about 30 seconds. No nicks. :wink: )
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

I have used a Muhle R41 razor with Feather blades for years. Its pretty aggressive, but does a great job. My favorite shaving soap is Maggard Razor Orange Menthol. I have a tendency to let things go so I often start off with a Philips OneBlade to trim off the whiskers before shaving.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

To my wife’s chagrin, I’m well into the 7th month of my lockdown beard. It’s starkly white with not even a hint of grey left. Very unfashionable. I quite like it.

I still use my Philips One Blade for a bit of touch up. I need to trim the moustache back a bit for my mouthpiece. I never could get a proper electric shaver to work for me. For years I used Gillette (the best a man can get) blades and cartridges.
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

Schick Extreme 2 Sensitive. It's an affordable disposable that doesn't get disposed of often because it lasts, and its shape enables me to get to every contour of my face. I use a toothbrush after every shave to keep it clean, and it has a built-in bar that enables you to push out accumulation between the two blades.

Some of you may cringe at this, but I don't use shaving cream; I get a closer shave using just hot water. I don't get razor burn, either. YMMV.
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
SimmonsTrombone

Post by SimmonsTrombone »

I pulled out a 1957 Gillette double edged razor, cleaned it up, bought a good brush on eBay, and some feather blades. Wonderful shaves. I think the weight of the razor helps.

BTW, professional cheapskate Clark Howard says to put the razor head and blade into a container of mineral oil after drying. The oil keeps the blade edge from oxidizing, thus the blade lasts for months. I’m trying that theory.
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

I used vintage injector razors for years with Cremora. I got more shaves out of an injector blade than a double edge blade. I also found it to be a more comfortable shave. But I did get the occasional nick.

Because of the nicks I switched to a Oneblade when my Doctor put me on blood thinners. I actually like the Oneblade better! No "ritual", can shave dry with no prep, and get a decent shave.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Nicks on what is essentially part of our instrument are a reality, so we can either reduce them as far as possible with the best blades, or go electric. I went electric over this years ago and haven't regretted it.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

I use Gillette Fusion Proglide instead of shaving cream. Best product I've found so far.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
TheBoneRanger

Post by TheBoneRanger »

When my electric razor of many years died, I purchased a Merkur 34c, and haven’t looked back.

Astra blades seem to be the best fit for my skin, and Barrister’s reserve soaps work well with the water in my neighbourhood.

Biggest thing that improved my shave was the brush. I used a cheap synthetic for about a year, before purchasing a really lush, synthetic Tacomic brush. Lather is much better, and shaved smoother as a result.

I really enjoy shaving in this methodical manner and working on my technique each day. It’s like my own little meditation.

Andrew
Mandorob316

Post by Mandorob316 »

I switched to an old Gillet safety razor years ago. I usually use the blades you can buy these days at Wal-Mart, there is only one choice. I use a boar brush and mainly face lather with Proraso red or Arko for the quick just get it done shave. Sometimes I'll whip up my own lather in a bowl with some cream (Bigelow or Speik). There are so many options for soaps and creams out there, just try a few and have fun! The new formulation of Williams that you can still find everywhere is junk, don't waste your time trying to get decent lather out of it. Some vintage Williams on the other hand is some nice stuff!
bbocaner

Post by bbocaner »

I use a Merkur 20C with a badger brush and a fancy but unscented shaving soap at the sink, and more often I use a Feather ASD2 with canned shaving cream in the shower - depending on whether or not I have time for a "spa experience" or just need to shave. I used Astra blades for years, and they are excellent, but the Feather blades are sharper and I mostly use those now. The Feather ASD2 is light years beyond everything else I've tried in terms of the precision of how it holds the blades, which makes a big difference in nicks. I get a much closer shave with the double-edge safety razor than I can get with any other method, but I still do have an electric for touch-ups.
Retrobone

Post by Retrobone »

Love the Muhle R89 and the Merkur Slant 37c. Both great razors, the merkur is more aggressive and Muhle smoother. I use Astra blades and have tried so may soaps and cremes it's ridiculous. But I like Cella Bio and Tabac soap at the moment. I'm going for local EU products only though...
Tim Dowling
Principal trombonist, Residentie Orchestra, The Hague
ParLawGod

Post by ParLawGod »

Dollar Shave Club! Smoothest shave I've ever gotten - high quality blades and they last longer than they advertise.
vetsurginc

Post by vetsurginc »

If you want real retro try a Gillette double edge. With brush and bar soap for lube. As the blade dulls, sharpen by honing on the inside of a ceramic coffee cup (navy style is nice and sturdy). No nicks and one blade for 17 days. Horseback ride up the C&O canal to Cumberland gap 1965. Not the best shave I’ve ever had :lol:

Doug MacCoy

Return to “Tangents”