aluminum storm window how to fix

Spin your yarns here.
timothy42b

aluminum storm window how to fix

Post by timothy42b »

I've typed this post once already. My sweatshirt sleeve brushed the touchpad and it disappeared. Ctrl-Z doesn't work. Argh.

Anyway a bird flew into my bathroom window. I've removed the broken glass and bought a replacement. Now if only I could get the frame apart. Last time I took it to a glass shop but he's out of business and nobody else does windows.

The frame is flimsy aluminum channel press fit over plastic L shaped pieces at each corner. They are retained with staked in depressions, the shape of a screwdriver blade. I've tried prying, hammering, and watching youtube but nothing so far. I guess next step is try drilling.

Any ideas?
Doug Elliott

Re: aluminum storm window how to fix

Post by Doug Elliott »

I think they sell that window frame material at Home Depot. Maybe if you look at how it goes together you can figure out how to take it apart. Or buy the pieces that you're going to break.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
jpwell

Post by jpwell »

The storm windows I have changed glass on the aluminum stays together. Rubber gets pushed in to hold glass in frame.
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

I'd take it to Home Depot and order a new one.
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

jpwell wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:38 pm The storm windows I have changed glass on the aluminum stays together. Rubber gets pushed in to hold glass in frame.
Yes, I wish I had that kind. I've done screens where you push the rubber in with a special spline roller. It's a bit of a pain but with patience and care I've made it work.

But with the glass, the rubber gaskets is U shaped and goes on the edge, then the glass and gasket goes into a U shaped channel on the window. It is impossible to get it in without disassembling. Youtube says take apart two diagonal corners. Not so easy with the mass produced, never intended to be repaired ones I have.

Google says my Home Depot has the replacement corner pieces, but they didn't. Fortunately when these broke they broke in such a way the window stays secure. (far better to be lucky than skilled) So the window is fixed and back in place, waiting for the next bird. However instead of a $3 piece of glass I used an $18 piece of plastic, which Lowes kindly cut to size free. I did that not because I wanted it bullet proof, but because I was pretty sure I would somehow break the glass too while assembling this again.

Return to “Tangents”