Poll: Where is first position Bb?

Spin your yarns here.

Where is first position Bb?

At the bumper (in contact)
19%
Off the bumper and a maximum of 5 mm off the bumper.
25%
More than 5 mm and a maximum of 10 mm off the bumper.
29%
More than 10 mm and a maximum of 15 mm off the bumper.
12%
More than 15 mm and a maximum of 20 mm off the bumper.
4%
More than 20 mm off the bumper.
10%

Total votes: 68
imsevimse

Poll: Where is first position Bb?

Post by imsevimse »

I would be grateful if you measure where you're Bb :bassclef: :space5: is at, when in first position
Last edited by imsevimse on Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
Oslide

Re: A poll to know where first position Bb is

Post by Oslide »

Why did you stop at 200 mm? That's only 20 cm off the bumper.
Ceterum censeo to fetch All of TTF
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

+/- 10mm off the bumper for Bb in first position. F is farther, D is closer. F on the valve is almost against the bumper.
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Are you sure about these increments? 200mm is almost 8 inches. Who's tuning 8 inches off the bumpers?

(I wouldn't necessarily pin it down to one partial either, because then you're discussing intonation differences almost as much as habit.)

Answer: depends on the horn, unless it doesn't. Tuning slide is shut. If 'average 1st position' isn't a safe 1.5" out, I'd consider trimming. If it's more than 2.5" out, I pull the TS enough to bring 1st back around 2" out.
'Ab at the bell', as Harrison likes to advocate, ends up being truish on King/Conn length bells, but not on set back bells, and I don't like using the bell as a reference for anything, so I don't think of it that way.

tl;dr: 2"/51mm
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Yeah the poll numbers aren't quite right. Around 50mm
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

Oslide wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:08 pm Why did you stop at 200 mm? That's only 20 cm off the bumper.
Sorry, I will change the numbers. I got that wrong.

The option 200 mm covers the ones who play with "very long" positions :good: I've changed it now, should have been 20 mm.

I measure the distance I have to move the slide from the bumper to reach my first position, when I play a Bb. If you think MORE than 20 mm isn't enough then you can write how much.

/Tom
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

GabrielRice wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:12 pm +/- 10mm off the bumper for Bb in first position. F is farther, D is closer. F on the valve is almost against the bumper.
That's about where I am too. It's not just accomodating the 5th partial; in musical context, in-tune notes can be even sharper.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

It is located where it is in tune, off the bumpers. 10 mm is in the ball park. If it isn’t I will move the tuning slide.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Find the flattest partial on the instrument. Adjust the tuning slide so that note is at or just off the bumpers. That is first position. Most partials have to be adjusted somewhat.

Play the notes where you get the best sound and they are in tune. Learn to play in tune with yourself using muscle memory.

My goal with tuning is to move all of the positions as far up the slide as possible, and to do it consistently so it's repeatable. . That makes everything easier. I used to believe that I could tune the instrument at any point on the slide, but at some point you mess with 7th position and the bell reference if you use that.
soseggnchips

Post by soseggnchips »

20mm plus... I've been experimenting with having the tuning slide fully in for the last six months or so.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

FWIW, the numbers changed without changing your selection, so you need to go back and revote. Otherwise the numbers won't be accurate for Tom.

I had picked 50+mm, which became 5-10mm.

For me it's easily 5cm off, especially on my 3B.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

harrisonreed wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:37 am FWIW, the numbers changed without changing your selection, so you need to go back and revote. Otherwise the numbers won't be accurate for Tom.

I had picked 50+mm, which became 5-10mm.

For me it's easily 5cm off, especially on my 3B.
Yes, but only seven people had voted when I changed and since one was at the bumper and one probably was you it is only 5 that maybe still are in need of a revote. These five might also have understood what I was after because 10 cm or more which they had voted ofcourse is insane. Sorry I messed it up. Could be interesting statistics.

/Tom
HermanGerman

Post by HermanGerman »

I prefer to play in tune
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

HermanGerman wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:37 am I prefer to play in tune
Do you don't consciously do anything? Come on man.

Everyone here prefers to play in tune
patrickosmith

Post by patrickosmith »

The D on my horn is quite flat so I end up moving the Bb out (by about 1/2 inch) so that the D is good.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

patrickosmith wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:01 am The D on my horn is quite flat so I end up moving the Bb out (by about 1/2 inch) so that the D is good.
Which D? I think it depends on the horn. I've read that this d on first :tenorclef: :space4: is flat on some horns, but I find it to be rather opposite, on the other hand this d :trebleclef: :line4: on first is very flat on my horns when I play them. When I studied I learned I should play that on very flat second position. It was first when I heard about Urbie Green who played with "long positions" and after I started to experiment with that I discovered I could make that high d note my "base" for my first position. So yes I'm one of those who voted more than 20 mm. I have barely a 7th position. It is right where the slide falls off so on a single I am rather limited if a passage down there need me to play a B at 7th pos. I can of course retune and play higher on the slide as I did before when my 1st pos was between 5-10 mm from the bumper. It is not that difficult to retune and play a little higher if I need to do that. If I have a valve this is of course no issue. The high d on 1st is the big gain for me and that note is more common in my parts, since I often play the 1st or 2nd and to have that d in tune I have to push the tuningslide in all the way, and then my "tuning Bb" is off the bumper more than 20 mm. Besides this a vibrato on first position becomes possible as well as beeing able to follow intonation in an orchestra when it raises.

/Tom
BrianJohnston

Re: Poll: Where is first position Bb?

Post by BrianJohnston »

Not sure if i'm gaging millimeters correctly, but my high Bb is about a thumb length away from the felt pads if i'm in 440.
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
HermanGerman

Post by HermanGerman »

Trumpet players do not discuss this, do you know why?
I have played with many good trumpet players which played in tune...just wondering
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

HermanGerman wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:39 am Trumpet players do not discuss this, do you know why?
I have played with many good trumpet players which played in tune...just wondering
Some trumpet players worry about the depth of their mouthpiece down to increments of 1/64" s I'm not sure I would accept judgement from a trumpet player :lol:
HermanGerman

Post by HermanGerman »

They are at the top of brass pyramid...I do
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

HermanGerman wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:37 am I prefer to play in tune
HermanGerman wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:39 am Trumpet players do not discuss this, do you know why?
I get it. You have never thought about this subject. Fine, I think we understand that by now. :good:

/Tom
Kevbach33

Post by Kevbach33 »

I've been playing with my tuning slide all the way in on all my trombones (until it's too darn hot...). For me, that puts the hand slide about an inch/25.4mm or so away from the bumpers for :bassclef: :space5: flat, from small tenor to bass. This still gives me a useable 7th position, which is my criterion for tuning.

:tenorclef: :space4: (I think this is the note people refer to as their "D") is still ~12mm off the bumpers, maybe a little closer, while :trebleclef: :space2: flat is maybe a touch flat at the bumpers. But I prefer using 3rd for that note anyway.
Kevin Afflerbach
'57 Conn 6H, Warburton 9M/9D/T3★
'62 Holton 168, Bach 5GL
Getzen 1052FD Eterna, Pickett 1.5S
F. Schmidt 2103 BBb Tuba, Laskey 30G
Wessex Tubas TE360P Bombino, Perantucci PT-84-S
John Packer JP274MKII Euphonium, Robert Tucci RT-7C
BrianJohnston

Post by BrianJohnston »

HermanGerman wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:18 pm They are at the top of brass pyramid...I do
Only the principal trumpet is the top of the brass pyramid, followed by the other brass principals
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
Reedman1

Post by Reedman1 »

Somewhere between the bumper and the edge of the bell.
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

Where ever the lead trumpet decides it should be.
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

Where ever the lead trumpet decides it should be.
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

Thrawn22 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:00 pm Where ever the lead trumpet decides it should be.
What about when he is not around?

/Tom

Return to “Tangents”