What's on your stand?

Spin your yarns here.
BGuttman

Re: What's on your stand?

Post by BGuttman »

Don't be embarrassed to skip some of the extreme range parts even of exercise 1 at the beginning. I found it to be very daunting to see notes in exercise 1 that were beyond my dream range (let alone practical range). Sorta brought me up short when I first tried the book.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I'm playing through some Bach Chorales for tbone quartet, solidifying sound and intonation.
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

BGuttman wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:49 pm Don't be embarrassed to skip some of the extreme range parts even of exercise 1 at the beginning. I found it to be very daunting to see notes in exercise 1 that were beyond my dream range (let alone practical range). Sorta brought me up short when I first tried the book.
Thanks. My aim is to improve flexibiltiy and I'm planning to work on that in my comfortable range to start with. My general plan will be to work though methodically and slowly and only play in the range which I consider comfortable. It'll just be a short slot in my practice routuine, say 5-10 mins max.
Cotboneman

Post by Cotboneman »

I've added the Voxman Selected Studies, which I have pledged myself to play through by the end of the month of June. I haven't played from it in a long time. Then I'll go back and play it again on Euphonium.
Grah

Post by Grah »

"Tuck Me To Sleep In My Old Tucky Home" from "The Real Dixieland Book". It's really strange but I do not ever remember hearing a band play this previously. Recently one of the guys in our Dixieland Band, 'The Swing Time Stompers', requested we play it, and I went searching around YouTube to find some examples, of which there are many. Now I have prepared the Play Sheets so that we can do it at the next rehearsal. I want to make sure I can play it fluently, which is not going to be difficult. I really like the tune and I imagine it must be quite well know in the USA.
Grah

(Transcribing jazz solos is fraught with difficulties because exact rhythmic notation is well-nigh impossible. So listen carefully because it's the only way to learn how to play jazz trombone so that we can return to the Golden Age.) 8-)
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

- Doing a lot of basics (not really any sheetmusic required for this)
- Preparing some ensemble stuff to play the pieces individually, but also to get used to play all that stuff in one concert (Crespo/Bruckner etude, Andresen 3 Swedish tunes, Fly me to the moon...)
- Returned to playing 1-3 Bordognis per day
Also I want to do a little more recording of myself again. The last time I did this (to provide my great overseas teacher with some good playing examples) I again noticed how this is a totally different demand to myself when things are being taped.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 3x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, modern 88HT, Greenhoe Conn 88HT, Kruspe, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h, Greenhoe, Conn 60h
Ellefson

Post by Ellefson »

Cichowicz Flow Studies

PE
bassclef

Post by bassclef »

Vining Bass Trombone Flow Studies and Edwards Lip Slur Melodies as I simultaneously work on rebuilding stability & endurance and getting acclimated to a new Greg Black mouthpiece (lightweight 1 3/8g .295 with a #1 shank).

I'm always on the lookout for "jazz" or "commercial" stuff to read so last night I lied to the TMEA website and said I attend Elkhart HS so it would take my $5 in exchange for the 2022 all state audition bass trombone jazz etudes. There's one by Chris Glassman which I particularly like.
LeoInFL

Post by LeoInFL »

Tenor: Melodious Etudes Book 3
Bass: Studies in Legato
French Horn: Advanced Method Vol 1, Star Wars excerpts, Short Call, Bolero solo, Firebird solo, Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I bounce between these and others as the mood strikes. Mostly practicing horn stuff these days.
LeoInFL
Getzen 4047DS :
~Bousfield S
~Conn 5G | Edwards .525"
Olds P-24G : G&W Mark-1 | Wessex .555"
Melton 41 F Cimbasso : DE CB S118_L*_L16Am
Holton 77 Fr Horn : Laskey 825G

CFCA Symphony Orch
(2016-present)
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Bordogni (Encore tuba edition) and McChesney’s Harmonic Dexterity.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Been getting back to basics, both with old familiar material, and with a few new purchases:

1. Old standards:
Arban - Trumpet book (in Tenor, Alto and Bass clefs, plus adjacent keys - B flat/B natural, etc.)
Bordogni/Rochut - Book 1 (using clef changes as well)
Blazhevitch - Clef Studies

2. New finds:
Scale & Arpeggio Routines - Milt Stevens (great organized way to practice scales)
Arban/Groves - Alto Trombone Method (great way to get more "solid" on the alto)
Trombone Unlimited - Megumi Kanda (highly recommended - mix of exercises and etudes with some good advice mixed in)

Jim Scott
afugate

Post by afugate »

harrisonreed wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:05 pm This big band chart called "ya gotta try" that is kicking my butt. If it weren't for the tempo it'd be OK, but we take it at warp speed! :weep:
I love this tune... and feel your pain! :lol:
I definitely prefer it at the Basie band tempo versus the Buddy Rich band tempo.

Are you familiar with Nestico's 'Ya Gotta Try... Harder'?

--Andy in OKC
Grah

Post by Grah »

Still 'The Real Dixieland Book' from Hal Leonard, mainly for copyright reasons with our community band, and a ruling which I do not quite understand. However, it is a great publication and does contain just about every Dixieland standard you can think of. The one I am working on at present is "Ace In The Hole", and I even do the vocal for this tune. I am a bit envious of "those guys, who think they're might wise". Nice lifestyle.
Grah

(Transcribing jazz solos is fraught with difficulties because exact rhythmic notation is well-nigh impossible. So listen carefully because it's the only way to learn how to play jazz trombone so that we can return to the Golden Age.) 8-)
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Blume 36 studies (tenor trombones, euph)

Blazevich Clef Studies (tenor trombones, euph)

Aharoni bass trombone book

Fink Studies in Legato (mostly for contra... sad that these are more Concone vocalises :evil: )
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher

Return to “Tangents”