Looking for small case with a music pocket

ttf_Willy de Woofer

Post by ttf_Willy de Woofer »

It's for a jazz trombone without F-attachement. It must have a (little)music pocket.

ttf_conn88plyr

Post by ttf_conn88plyr »

Without getting too pricey I would check out the Protec Platinum series gig bag as this has a dedicated music pocket.  The Fusion bags also have pockets large enough for music.  If you're looking for high-end cases Marcus Bonna also has a nice setup with a removable music bag...
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

If I really, really wanted a small music pouch on a small case, I'd honestly just get some gorilla glue and glue one to an eastman or one of the SKB 360s. I'm not aware of any compact case that has such an option by default. Fusion cases (bags) kind of have that as an option.  But they aren't particularly compact.

Someone here awhile ago posted a modification they made to an Eastman case where they drilled two holes in it and put some broom mounting brackets so they could attach a hamilton trombone stand. I'm tempted to do that myself.  But I've always found music easier carried in a backpack or similar because its light and actually fits in a bag... trombone stands not so much!!
ttf_Willy de Woofer

Thanks for your help friends.

I think I found him: BAM 4031 SPN

For years I had a BAM case (without pocket) and they are great. Here in the Netherlands they are not that expensive.
Maybe because they are made in France.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

How big is that pocket? It looks like you may be able to fit music folded in half or music meant for lyres but not much larger unless you left the pouch unzipped.
ttf_jmtheob

Post by ttf_jmtheob »

Quote from: Matt K on Apr 27, 2017, 08:08AMHow big is that pocket? It looks like you may be able to fit music folded in half or music meant for lyres but not much larger unless you left the pouch unzipped.

I can tell you that my BAM bass case had a pocket way to small for sheet music.  Image
ttf_Willy de Woofer

Thanks for your warnings. Here is the text from the website of BAM.
They are talking about sheet music? Are they lying?

SOFTPACK JAZZ TROMBONE CASE WITH POCKET - BLACK

REFERENCE : 4031SPN
Attractive, light and compact: the city case
Molded on a King Jazz Trombone.
DETAILS MATERIALS WARRANTY
WEIGHT : 3,3 kg
INSIDE DIMENSIONS :
Bell: 21 cm
Slide: 80,5 cm
Length (body+bell): 70 cm
INSIDE FEATURES :
Inside cradle made of injected high density polyurethane foam, protecting the instrument against thermal shocks
Accessory compartment
The slide is snapped in the lid, made of a single block of injected foam
OUTSIDE FEATURES :
Top shell is made of a sleek metallic colored ABS, the bottom part is made of a black softouch antislip elastomer
2 comfortable neoprene antislip backpack straps with security screw hooks
Side handle
Zipper
External pocket for sheet music with reflective fabric
COLOR : Black
AUTRES COULEURS

ttf_Willy de Woofer

Quote from: jmtheob on Apr 27, 2017, 08:10AMI can tell you that my BAM bass case had a pocket way to small for sheet music.  Image

What case do you have exactly?
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I don't think they're lying, it may be intended for music. But that doesn't speak to how effective it is as a pouch as it doesn't say how big the pouch is. From the pictures of it (unless the pictures are of a different case, which is entirely possible), it looks like the pouch is part of the body of the case and no larger.  The bell is 21cm, so the pouch must be slightly smaller than that, perhaps by a few CM in that case.  Most sheet music I play is at least 21.59CM (8.5" for us imperial folk). So it wouldn't work at all for me.

If, however, you only need to carry photocopies of a few charts around, or even one of those mini realbooks, it might work swimmingly.

Before you order, I'd definitely ask them to measure it for you and see if its wide enough to put what you wish to put in it.
ttf_Willy de Woofer

Quote from: Matt K on Apr 27, 2017, 09:04AMI don't think they're lying, it may be intended for music. But that doesn't speak to how effective it is as a pouch as it doesn't say how big the pouch is. From the pictures of it (unless the pictures are of a different case, which is entirely possible), it looks like the pouch is part of the body of the case and no larger.  The bell is 21cm, so the pouch must be slightly smaller than that, perhaps by a few CM in that case.  Most sheet music I play is at least 21.59CM (8.5" for us imperial folk). So it wouldn't work at all for me.

If, however, you only need to carry photocopies of a few charts around, or even one of those mini realbooks, it might work swimmingly.

Before you order, I'd definitely ask them to measure it for you and see if its wide enough to put what you wish to put in it.

That's a good idea. I'll send them an email.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

One of my section mates has a similar case (don't know the exact model) and he keeps his sheet music in a folder and that sticks out from the case.  Might be a problem if you are carrying it on a bicycle, but not so much if it is in a car.
ttf_Willy de Woofer

Quote from: BGuttman on Apr 27, 2017, 10:10AMOne of my section mates has a similar case (don't know the exact model) and he keeps his sheet music in a folder and that sticks out from the case.  Might be a problem if you are carrying it on a bicycle, but not so much if it is in a car.

My former BAM case had no pocket at all. By then I putt my small map between the two parts of the case. It also sticked out. I closed the zippers as far as possible. I am always by car and don't have to take books with me. Only a few pages.
ttf_jmtheob

Post by ttf_jmtheob »

Quote from: Willy de Woofer on Apr 27, 2017, 08:55AMWhat case do you have exactly?

I don't have it any more but it was the BAM "Classic" bass case.
ttf_Willy de Woofer

Maybe they mean "shitpaper"  Image
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Yeah.  It looks like it could accommodate that.
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

I fit sheet music and even method books in my BAM bass case. It was a tighter fit than the MB case, but they still fit.
ttf_Willy de Woofer

Quote from: Burgerbob on Apr 28, 2017, 01:11AMI fit sheet music and even method books in my BAM bass case. It was a tighter fit than the MB case, but they still fit.

There different types of cases.
But for a jazz bone I begin to doubt. Let's weight for the amswer from BAM.
ttf_Willy de Woofer

Quote from: Burgerbob on Apr 28, 2017, 01:11AMI fit sheet music and even method books in my BAM bass case. It was a tighter fit than the MB case, but they still fit.

There different types of cases.
But for a jazz bone I begin to doubt. Let's weight for the amswer from BAM.

Return to “Accessories”