Vincent Clarke

ttf_anonymous

Vincent Clarke

Post by ttf_anonymous »

A five year old thread under "mouthpieces" brought the name of this wonderful musician back to me.  First of all, full disclosure: I am 68 years old and have not played the trombone since December 1965.  So, it has been a while.  When I was playing bass trombone in my Montreal high school band (Olds Ambassador, if I remember correctly) my dad called Mr. Clarke about trombone lessons for his son (me).  This was in 1963.  I took lessons from Mr. Clarke from 1963 until 1965.  And, needless to say, he slowly - oh, so slowly - transformed me from a terrible and nervous trombone student to a not half bad player.  In my last year of high school, I wanted to continue playing in the McGill University symphonic band so, that year (1965)my dad and I went to Mr. Clarke's apartment and I bought one of his trombones (a conn trombone, I think).  These were fun days.  I was reminded of Mr. Clarke this afternoon when I was listening to a CD of Rossini's overtures, particularly La Gazza Ladra or The Thieving Magpie.  I say this because this was the first piece that I ever heard the Montreal Symphony play and it featured a wonderful part for the bass trombone.  It was a concert under the stars on Mount Royal and I can still see Mr. Clarke seated by himself on the right of the orchestra and playing that wonderful part.  Good times.  I can still hear Mr. Clarke play a few bars from Tommy Dorsey's theme song for my dad in our home.  Yup, the sixties were good times.  Hope this is of interest to any of you out there.  Thanks for you time.
ttf_JohnL

Vincent Clarke

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Please contact me by email through my website (www.itsabear.com). I have been seeking information regarding Vincent Clarke (in particular, his use of one of the early Olds double-rotor bass trombones) for quite some time.
ttf_anonymous

Vincent Clarke

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: JohnL on Apr 20, 2017, 05:33PMPlease contact me by email through my website (www.itsabear.com). I have been seeking information regarding Vincent Clarke (in particular, his use of one of the early Olds double-rotor bass trombones) for quite some time.

John, I wish I could help but you must understand that we are talking about events that occurred some 50+ years ago.  I don't even know if Mr. Clarke owned an Olds bass trombone.  I know he was impressed with the brand new Olds Ambassador bass trombone that my high school supplied me with because he once expressed an interest in borrowing it to try out in a Montreal Symphony concert.  I would love to be able to help you out but I am kinda doubtful on that score, what with the lapse of half a century or so.  Pleasant memories though.

<Edit: Fixed quote>
ttf_anonymous

Vincent Clarke

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: JohnL on Apr 20, 2017, 05:33PMPlease contact me by email through my website (www.itsabear.com). I have been seeking information regarding Vincent Clarke (in particular, his use of one of the early Olds double-rotor bass trombones) for quite some time.

John, email answered.

ttf_anonymous

Vincent Clarke

Post by ttf_anonymous »

John, email answered.

Return to “Trombonists”