Camcorder with good audio AND video

ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

I got a Zoom Q4 a while back to record my big band and quintet concerts. It does great audion, but the video leaves a lot to be desired and the lens is fixed. Is there a video recorder in the under $500 range that would give me audio similar to this with a much better picture and the option to have a zoom lens?
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

I'm going to say you want something that optionally allows an external mic to be plugged in because the camera is rarely a good place for the mic even if it has a great mic on it.

Other idea... get an ordinary good camera and record with both it and your Zoom and marry the better audio with the better video in post.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

VIXIA Canon HF R21

has an audio in port that allows me to plug in my Sony PCM M10 audio recorder.

ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

A lot of SLR cameras have external mic inputs, and of course you can use arbitrarily good lenses with most of them.  Check out what Pentax, Nikon and Canon have to offer.  You will have the added ability to take great stills too.

I use a Pentax K3, which might go well within your price range used, but then you'd need a lens.  I think with proper selection, you could get camera, lens and mic for $500 and have a more versatile and expandable system.  Nikon and Canon have similar systems.

Might be worth giving some thought to.
ttf_MaestroHound

Post by ttf_MaestroHound »

Quote from: RolandJBarber on Mar 04, 2017, 11:50AMVIXIA Canon HF R21

Off topic, but I LOVE Sony PCM-M10. Easy to use, sounds great, and survived a few drops and still going strong more than 7 years. Pretty heavy use, too.
ttf_MaestroHound

Post by ttf_MaestroHound »

Quote from: RolandJBarber on Mar 04, 2017, 11:50AMVIXIA Canon HF R21

Off topic, but I LOVE Sony PCM-M10. Easy to use, sounds great, and survived a few drops and still going strong more than 7 years. Pretty heavy use, too.

Return to “Technology”