SpamalotI

ttf_slide advantage

SpamalotI

Post by ttf_slide advantage »

I just completed a short run playing in the pit orchestra for a production of Spamalot.

I have done shows in the past but I am not really in that loop. I enjoy playing them so I agreed.

This book was not easy but it was a blast playing. Nearly all of my playing is done on my 6H so when I went to rehearsal I wasn't sure what to expect. Turned out there were a number of trigger register notes (a handful of notes down to low C).

For the next two rehearsals I brought a second trombone...a Conn Standard 6 (which I had just bought a few days prior). At first I was using a Bach 6 1/2A, but it quickly became apparent that a larger piece was called for. I went with a Megatone 5G.

And in the long run I ended up foregoing the 6H, playing the entire show on the .547.

Fun book. Looking back on it though, an even deeper cup would have been better for the low parts.

I was intending to flip that Conn trigger horn, but after playing it for the run, I may just keep it. I had forgotten how fun it was playing in 'that' register.  Image
ttf_MikeBMiller

SpamalotI

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

I just got called to play that show in May with my local Little Theatre. Also doing Shrek in March so I will be one of the men in black for lots of nights this Spring.

I saw the touring show a few years back. I remember the first half being really funny and the second half getting just a bit too silly as they might say on the TV show.
ttf_MikeBMiller

SpamalotI

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

I just got called to play that show in May with my local Little Theatre. Also doing Shrek in March so I will be one of the men in black for lots of nights this Spring.

I saw the touring show a few years back. I remember the first half being really funny and the second half getting just a bit too silly as they might say on the TV show.

Return to “Performance”