headphone suggestions

ttf_sleepy_trb

headphone suggestions

Post by ttf_sleepy_trb »

I am looking for a suggestion on headphones for my kid.  They are a belated holiday gift, and he will be using them primarily to listen to recordings of his own playing for self evaluation, but I imagine he might want to use them for other music on occasion.  I am open to spending about $200, but would stretch, if it made a huge difference in quality.  Thanks for your help!
ttf_Bimmerman

headphone suggestions

Post by ttf_Bimmerman »

I can't recommend the Sony MDR-7506 (~$100ish) highly enough -- these were the de facto #1 studio monitor headphones for a very long time, but are also quite affordable (and crazy durable!)

My first pair lasted from 9th grade until my second year working after graduate school. They live in my backpack and have survived 13+ years of daily use and beatings. Once the original pair died (from a torn cable), I replaced them with the same model. Fantastic headphones, very neutral in sound coloring, no need to use an amp to drive them, super durable, and also they do a decent job of isolating whatever you're listening to from your coworkers. They fold up nicely for transport, as an added perk.

If you want to spend more money, the Beyerdynamic DT770/880/990 are solid choices, as are the Sennheiser 600/650s, but these really benefit from an amp and are $250-400 range.
ttf_cmillar

headphone suggestions

Post by ttf_cmillar »

Check out the 'Monster DNA' series.

Less than $200, and great for all styles of music.

Over the ear style, so less chance of any hearing damage due to using ear-bud styles. They do a great job at blocking out a lot of ambient sound for their size.
ttf_Pre59

headphone suggestions

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

I would avoid Beyer DT100's. They are a classic headphone but not because of a pristine sound, more because they are bombproof even in the hands of drummers, and all of the component parts are field replaceable. They also come in different Ohm values which also affects the overall tone. I had 2 sets with different impedances and they had quite different responses.

I found the sound of them quite boxy, but had no problem moving them on though, strange..

ttf_tbathras

headphone suggestions

Post by ttf_tbathras »

I have a pair of Grado Labs Prestige series SR125e's.  They sound fantastic and they are made right in New York.  I hear the SR225e's also get rave reviews.

They have a huge selection so there is something for every price point.

They are "open back", meaning there is sound bleed, so they are not good for using to monitor something while recording, also, they sound best in a quiet environment as background noise is not dampened.  But, they are rich and true sounding, unlike some brands that pump up the bass response to make them seem beefier than they really are.

For me, Grado is the best value for the money and it also supports a family business that makes their stuff by hand right here in the US. Even if you don't end up with something from them, you should at least check them out.  They have some nice videos on their site as well.

http://www.gradolabs.com/headphones
ttf_mwpfoot

headphone suggestions

Post by ttf_mwpfoot »

I've never found a pair for less than $100 that is full and rich, but things may be different these days.

At work, I still use my Sony MDR-V900 that I treated myself to a decade ago. That line is crowded and confusing between cheap-o consumer and overpriced pro models, and has changed a lot since then, but I'm sure there are many great, comparable closed-back choices at Sony, Beyerdynamic, Audio-Tecnica, AKG, etc. when you start spending $150 and up.

At home, I use my Grado SR80e open-back but I would stress that these type of headphones are a bit delicate, may require some alternate foam cups for comfort, and they are audible in the room so they not appropriate for work, school, recording, and arguably public spaces. I really like them in my home office for music and gaming though.

ttf_Burgerbob

headphone suggestions

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

I'll second the Sony monitors. I have MDR-V6 (a little less hot in the treble than the 7506) that are great for that purpose. I picked mine up for a total of $3 in a thrift store.

Stay away from Beats and other "brand-centric" phones, IMO.
ttf_mwpfoot

headphone suggestions

Post by ttf_mwpfoot »

Quote from: Burgerbob on Jan 11, 2017, 12:17PMStay away from Beats and other "brand-centric" phones, IMO.
I tried a rack of Beats at a demo display with a fairly open mind - my MDR model was allegedly geared towards DJs and I favor bass-heavy mix - but they sounded like thin ~$20 headphones and they pressed hard on my ears.

Anything else at that price point was likely better.

ttf_stanzabone

headphone suggestions

Post by ttf_stanzabone »

Another vote for the Sony 7506. I had a problem with the cable on mine & was able to purchase & install an aftermarket replacement, straight instead of the stock coiled cable. The earpieces are getting a bit worn at this point, but I can also buy replacement extra-padded ones to replace them. Looking forward to hearing great sound on some big fuzzy earmuffs!
ttf_Malec Heermans

headphone suggestions

Post by ttf_Malec Heermans »

I use Sennheiser HD-600's for most of my headphone listening. They have been considered an industry standard for reference for a long time. Beyond sounding very natural, they are very comfortable for long listening sessions, and are modular so you can replace cords and ear pads when they wear out. They are out of your budget, but worth a look. They are open backed, so as mentioned above you'll want a quiet environment to use them in and they are not useful as studio cans.

For studio work I use the Sony MDR-7506's. As others have mentioned they are a great value and have long been a staple in the recording industry. They are low profile so playing with them is generally not a problem, and they fold up so you can tuck one ear cup on your head if you need even more clearance. A great value and tough as nails. Not as comfortable as the Sennheisers, though for a few dollars more you can replace the vinyl ear cups with velour cups: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=886945&gclid=Cj0KEQiAzNfDBRD2xKrO4pSnnOkBEiQAbzzeQbfbEBDP0rJafZl9bcWeEr_vWw24Rg74l7Qoe814IIAaAkE78P8HAQ&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C92051678402%2C&A=details&Q=.
ttf_Burgerbob

headphone suggestions

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

I use HD-600s for my everyday listening. I wouldn't recommend them for this purpose, since they need a little more power and are open back.
ttf_headoflife

headphone suggestions

Post by ttf_headoflife »

Thanks for all the suggestions!  It seems like the Sony gets a lot of votes, so I will start there.
ttf_headoflife

headphone suggestions

Post by ttf_headoflife »

Thanks for all the suggestions!  It seems like the Sony gets a lot of votes, so I will start there.

Return to “Technology”