Epic Low Brass - The Rains of Castamere

Pictures, video, etc.
Bart

Epic Low Brass - The Rains of Castamere

Post by Bart »

Again a great number of low and even lower brass heroes were gathered to play one of the themes from Game of Thrones. That must have been amazing to experience live!

Tremozl

Re: Epic Low Brass - The Rains of Castamere

Post by Tremozl »

Great stuff. These guys can really make their pedal D's bark. Also is that Tommy Johnson's custom CC Cimbasso or just something that looks very similar?
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

That visual of 7 people switching to contra at once was something to behold.
bbocaner

Post by bbocaner »

Fantastic playing, but am I the only one who is extremely underwhelmed by the composition?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

bbocaner wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:56 am Fantastic playing, but am I the only one who is extremely underwhelmed by the composition?
Same problem with the original (they did this 4 years ago I think). They played the main theme, which is transcribed incorrectly and is a horrible arrangement to boot.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Fafner

Post by Fafner »

Burgerbob wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:20 am
bbocaner wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:56 am Fantastic playing, but am I the only one who is extremely underwhelmed by the composition?
Same problem with the original (they did this 4 years ago I think). They played the main theme, which is transcribed incorrectly and is a horrible arrangement to boot.
I agree that the arranging is a little inelegant...

But what exactly do you mean about the transcription being wrong?

On a side note—I guess everyone is ok with “barking” in a low brass choir setting now. I’m sad to see the dynamics “mp” to “f” get ignored more and more on trombone.

Don’t get me wrong, I love to crush it as much as the next guy, but I feel that arranging for low brass is becoming more and more a grotesque caricature.

P.S. I’m a bit grumpy that I started looking at orchestra music for a new music concert and recording session and the low brass writing is absolutely vapid and unrewarding.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

There's a straight up wrong note in the main theme, a very obvious one.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

I'd be interested to hear the results of an established composer/arranger getting commissioned to write/arrange something for them. Hearing what different writers do with an ensemble of 9 tenor trombones, 21 bass trombones (7 doubling contra), 3 cimbassi, and 8 tubas is definitely something I'd be interested in.

On their latest 3rd video, they mentioned in the comments that it was the last Game of Thrones cover they would do and they asked for suggestions. Should be interesting to see where they go next, if they do keep cranking stuff out.
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

I hope Jim Nova is reading this!
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!

Return to “Media”