hi, im mal, im 17, and i just released my first trombone quartet. its scarborough fair! your thoughts?

Pictures, video, etc.
MalTheTrombonist

hi, im mal, im 17, and i just released my first trombone quartet. its scarborough fair! your thoughts?

Post by MalTheTrombonist »

Hey! I'm Malachy (but you can call me Mal!)
I am a bass trombonist living in Colorado.
I'm 17 years old!
I just released my first video of me playing! (Sorta Christopher Bill style, trombone quartet!)

I'd love some feedback on my playing and the video itself! Thank you so much~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoNhhjq ... e=youtu.be
Doubler

Re: hi, im mal, im 17, and i just released my first trombone quartet. its scarborough fair! your thoughts?

Post by Doubler »

I applaud you for putting yourself out there. :good: Harmony and rhythm are both pretty good.

I found something distracting, however, and that is your consistent tendency to crescendo almost every note and follow it with a slight decrescendo. It sounds as if you are huffing each note. Consistent, appropriate volume would sound better to my ear. It's as if you're making sure your legato attacks are soft, not harsh, but you can do a legato attack without starting at a lower volume than the rest of the note.

Keep up the good work!
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
jpwell

Re: hi, im mal, im 17, and i just released my first trombone quartet. its scarborough fair! your thoughts?

Post by jpwell »

Sounds good. Do you need to use ur thumb to locate slide positions tho?
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

I like it! Nice intonation, good basic technique. I do agree with the above posters regarding the swelling of the whole notes, sounds a bit "wah wah"-ish. I also would suggest you wean yourself from using your fingers and thumb to touch the bell to "check" your position. That said, I doubt if I could sound that good at any age, let alone high school.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

Nice job, echoing what the others have said. Your right hand position may hinder fast passages--more common to use thumb and first two fingers on the slide. Definitely hit the slide positions without feeling for the bell--it will still be there.
Dave

2014 Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4

Return to “Media”