New video – virtuosic baroque solo

Pictures, video, etc.
LeTromboniste

New video – virtuosic baroque solo

Post by LeTromboniste »

Please apologise if this seems like shameless self-promo. I guess it is, but it's also something I want to share for the lessons I learned from the process.

For the last two or three years, I've been challenging myself and exploring a repertoire that I had previously thought to be beyond my hopes of what I could achieve as a player, a repertoire which I associated in my mind with great musicians of other instruments who don't have to deal with a slide or move nearly as much air as we do, and can play so fluently that everything seems easy. It's not that the notes on the page were technically beyond my reach, but more that I felt that I could never do justice to the music between the notes the way some of my non-trombone colleagues could. The trombone can sound so clumsy compared to finger-holed instruments, and this music in particular is all about subtlety. But I decided to use this repertoire to explore ways of thinking about air and phrasing that were not intuitive to me as a trombone player, and to try to play in a way where one can't "hear the slide" (I don't mean glissandi, but just the quirks in the phrasing and articulation that come from dealing with the slide and can sometimes be a distraction from the music). At first it was just an exercise but in the process and during lessons I've had with non-trombonists on this material, I've had my mind blown on some aspects of my playing, in particular on how much intention and thought can go into every gesture and every note while still keeping a sense of the longer phrase or larger picture. I hadn't realised how superficial my musicality was. So it became more and more a project to improve my artistry in addition to my technique.

Eventually I committed to try to really bring this to a performable level and not just use it as an exercise. I'm definitely not all the way to where I want to be with this approach. Aside from occasional intonation quirks, there are also still moments here when I can "hear the slide", particularly with some of the dotted rhythms, and I think I could have even more extreme changes of dynamics and airflow between notes to control each gesture. But I'm pretty proud of where I'm at with this, and more importantly, of what I've learned for myself in the process. I want to emphasise the importance of challenging ourselves, whatever our level is, and not only try to improve technique but also confront our very musical ideas.

Last edited by LeTromboniste on Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
BGuttman

Re: New video – virtuosic baroque solo

Post by BGuttman »

Wow, what a nice performance! Question: are all those "notey" figures divisions (ornaments) or were they actually written into the piece?
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Maximilien,

This is magnificent. You are well on your way to making the slide "disappear" as an impediment to stylistic playing.
I can only imagine how much time you must have devoted to making this happen.

And your sackbut slide must be superb to enable you to play so rapidly and smoothly.

Congratulations -- and thanks! :good:
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

Lovely playing!!
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

BGuttman wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:21 pm Wow, what a nice performance! Question: are all those "notey" figures divisions (ornaments) or were they actually written into the piece?
So this is originally a 5-voice madrigal written by Palestrina (without ornaments). The divisions here are from Bovicelli's treatise (in the description), which is divided in two parts, first some written instructions on the art of improvising, writing and/or performing diminutions and graces, then tables of possible ways to ornament various melodic intervals, and finally a bunch of fully-ornamented soprano lines from actual repertoire pieces, to serve as examples, where he presents both the original part and his ornamented version. So here I played Bovicelli's version, although down into the tenor range, with a few added things of my own here and there.

For comparison, whenever I play, the top of the right hand of the organ is doubling the original, unadorned version (usually an octave higher).
Maximilien Brisson
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Thank you. I can see that it is possible to play some seriously "busy" parts on a trombone. I would hope that our ancestors were able to achieve this as well.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

For authentic performance one needs baroque Yamasnot.

I wonder, rendered pork fat rubbed in with a wool rag? Hmmm, best not to get ideas...
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

baileyman wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:52 pm For authentic performance one needs baroque Yamasnot.

I wonder, rendered pork fat rubbed in with a wool rag? Hmmm, best not to get ideas...
How about extra virgin olive oil? ;)
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Awesome work, my dude!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Outstanding! And all from memory... !?!
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Vegastokc

Post by Vegastokc »

Wow, stunning.
I expect sackbuts to sound more pinched off, but your amazing playing sounds more like its a euphonium.
Thank you for sharing.
Cheers
Michael Saffier
I ate twice as much lasagna as I should have...
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

baileyman wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:52 pm For authentic performance one needs baroque Yamasnot.

Well my slide is chrome-plated (totally not authentic) so I just use regular Yamasnot :P
Doug Elliott wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:29 am Outstanding! And all from memory... !?!
Thank you! Yes, although I never set out to memorise it, it's just one of those cases of woodshedding something so much that at some point you just notice that you forget to turn pages and aren't looking at the music anymore...I did go back to the score when practicing ahead of this recording, though, because I realised I had the notes and my own phrasing ideas memorised, but not the exact underlay of the lyrics.
Vegastokc wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:37 am I expect sackbuts to sound more pinched off
It's true that some sackbut players have a rather pinched sound, but I don't think it is inherent to the instrument itself. There are a few reasons why that can happen; in my experience the most common one is overblowing – it is very easy to overpower a sackbut if you don't adapt your technique and airflow to it. Some of the worse sackbut sounds I've heard come from actual world-class, amazing trombone players, who just won't change their way of playing (and in some cases, their mouthpieces) or their approach to the music, and so they end up sounding like a blasty, pinchy version of themselves.
Maximilien Brisson
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Beautifully played! Thanks for posting.

Jim Scott
Bigbasst

Post by Bigbasst »

Nice performance, Love it !!!
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

Oh, that was wonderful. I enjoyed every second of your performance.

/Tom

Return to “Media”