This is fun!!

Pictures, video, etc.
PosauneCat

This is fun!!

Post by PosauneCat »

I love Anime and the trombone so I found this really fun. It’s interesting to me that the horn most often depicted is modeled after the Yamaha 882UGII (the Asian and European market model number for the 882G). I had been looking for one everywhere and a guy on the forum turned me on to Doug Bert at The Brass Exchange who had just gotten one from Europe. I really like traditional wrap f attachments. I like the extra resistance I feel. I was talking to a fellow at a big music store out East who says that traditional wrap horns are becoming more popular again. I can’t vouch for that, but I found it an interesting observation.

I particularly like the trombone sniper at around 2:58.

robcat2075

Re: This is fun!!

Post by robcat2075 »

I've seen clips from that show before but not the whole show.

I presume the intended audience is people who have been in Japanese school bands. Or maybe it's a back door recruitment effort.

I used to play in a quartet and our 1st trombone was from Japan. One day he played us a tape of a band doing the Tchaikovsky 4 finale at a contest. It was the most blazingly fast and virtuosic rendition I have ever heard.

It was a Japanese band but it wasn't a college band, it wasn't a high school band... it was a junior high band. Every note and articulation was perfectly in place, it was in tune, every section sounded full and mature, it was totally astonishing to hear. And that band was just a runner-up at the contest.

He told us he had been in such a band. Not one that good but a similar program. It's a very high pressure thing. He said the parents sign a form giving the band directors permission to beat their kids if they don't play right or for just about any other reason.

And he did get beaten. He said parents would complain if their kids weren't getting beaten!

He was a strong player, though.

If your current comeback efforts do not bear fruit soon, try the Japanese method and get someone to beat you for several years.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
PosauneCat

Re: This is fun!!

Post by PosauneCat »

robcat2075 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:06 am

He told us he had been in such a band. Not one that good but a similar program. It's a very high pressure thing. He said the parents sign a form giving the band directors permission to beat their kids if they don't play right or for just about any other reason.

And he did get beaten. He said parents would complain if their kids weren't getting beaten!

He was a strong player, though.
I’ve spent time in Japan and other Asian countries with similar cultural attitudes about discipline. It’s remarkable and difficult for us to understand.
robcat2075 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:06 am
If your current comeback efforts do not bear fruit soon, try the Japanese method and get someone to beat you for several years.
You’re a funny man, SeñorCat.

I’ve been doing that to myself for decades! However, perhaps it’s time to turn that responsibility over to someone else now. :-)

Return to “Media”