Jazz gigs coming back, outdoors

Pictures, video, etc.
Doug Elliott

Jazz gigs coming back, outdoors

Post by Doug Elliott »

This is from a gig I played last Thursday.

"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
ithinknot

Re: Jazz gigs coming back, outdoors

Post by ithinknot »

Nice!
Fidbone

Post by Fidbone »

Nice one Doug, hope you got paid with money?
We've been offered hampers, beer or great exposure here in the UK.
Lot's of bookers/venues trying it on with us "desperate to play" musicians :frown:
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

Very nice playing indeed....big sound...
Too risky to play open air gigs in Scotland at the moment.... still snow showers, strong winds etc between the sun...changes rapidly....a whole new meaning to playing the changes ! We are supposed to be doing open air perfs of Verdi Falstaff in Glasgow and Edinburgh festival in June- July.....could be interesting.

Chris
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I am always impressed by how far north Scotland is. And that’s coming from a Canadian.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Nice work!
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

Applause!
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
Trombo

Post by Trombo »

Bravo maestro!
Wilktone

Post by Wilktone »

Well, shoot. I had meant to record myself playing this before Doug posted it here and then accuse him of plagiarism.

http://wilktone.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... ombone.pdf

Didya mean to play that?!
--
David Wilken
https://wilktone.com
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

:cool:

Do I get extra credit for the camera work?
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Redthunder

Post by Redthunder »

Wilktone wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:58 am Well, shoot. I had meant to record myself playing this before Doug posted it here and then accuse him of plagiarism.

http://wilktone.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... ombone.pdf

Didya mean to play that?!
Doug Elliott Omnibook when?
Wilktone

Post by Wilktone »

Doug Elliott wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:08 am :cool:

Do I get extra credit for the camera work?
Yeah, you're a natural photographer.

--
David Wilken
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

:good: Nice playing. Seems like you had a lot of fun

Here in Sweden we still have some snow in parts of the country. Where I live in the south it can still be below freezing point at night. Outdoor concerts will be a bit cold in daytime and Corona is still behind each corner so still no concerts over here.

I will have my first vaccine shot the 15th of May. My guess is life will return somewhere in late June or early July. I might find someone starved in music that want to rehearse in summer. I will accept, I want to play. I don't need an audience, I just want to meet with friends and play.

/Tom
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

My big band has our first concert tomorrow. We have been rehearsing for 3 weeks will an all vaccinated band. I’m psyched!
Wilktone

Post by Wilktone »

Outdoor jazz gigs are coming back for me too. Last weekend I played a porch concert with a early jazz/swing band. I threw my phone on my music stand and recorded a couple of tunes. Unfortunately you can't really hear much of the other instruments, but since the trombone is right by the mic you can at least hear the most important one.

Yes, I still have my pandemic hair.
--
David Wilken
afugate

Post by afugate »

Wilktone wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:13 am Outdoor jazz gigs are coming back for me too. Last weekend I played a porch concert with a early jazz/swing band. I threw my phone on my music stand and recorded a couple of tunes. Unfortunately you can't really hear much of the other instruments, but since the trombone is right by the mic you can at least hear the most important one.

Yes, I still have my pandemic hair.
Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed that!
--Andy in OKC
ArbanRubank

Post by ArbanRubank »

That sounded like an easy and fun piece to play. I like how you grooved your part into an old-timey feel.
Wilktone

Post by Wilktone »

Thanks! It's a fun group. Our clarinet player (actually a bassist playing a secondary instrument) writes all the arrangements. His charts are fun with a nice blend of pre-arrange passages with collective improvisation. Everyone in the group is committed to playing as stylistic as possible.
--
David Wilken
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Finally got to listen to Wilktone's group. Nice! I like that he doesn't have to blast to be heard, the others listen and get out of his way, that would be a fun group to play with. I wish some in my area could get that concept.
ArbanRubank

Post by ArbanRubank »

Amen to the above! It is precisely why I quit a group; everybody just had to blast and the director encouraged them to blast over solos.

I want to add that Wilktone proved a point I have been making for a long time, that one need not play terribly intricately to sound terrific! I got the sense that he kept his playing very well within his abilities and resisted the urge to junk it up - as so many others might try. And then there was his stylistic approach that blended in very well with the group. Just a great, clean and fun performance. Inspiring, actually.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

Finally! A first concert after Corona with the Johan Stengård Jazz Big Band tomorrow outdoor in Västerås, it will be our hundredth concert since the start 2015 and my first real Concert since the pandemic started. I did play two church gigs but nothing more. It will be a one and a half hours drive to get there.

In August we do two outdoor concerts/dances in Stockholm at "Skansen" which is a park with lots of old houses and nordic animals, restaurants and enjoyments. It's the place in Stockholm where tourists and families enjoy themself and is the best Disneyland we can do. Think much smaller and not as fast and not very expensive, lots of trees, grass and sun, just perfect.

I've also heard we are booked from September to Christmas every Monday at the theatre where we used to play before Corona. We will do about 10 concerts there.

Slowly the life returns. I've heard several of my fellow musicians have changed careers during Corona, they have quit playing and are now studying to become policemen and computer programmers instead. I'm lucky I did that change long time ago. I haven't had any economic troubles since.

I haven't played with the band for about one and a half years, but it is from the Count Basie repertoire we've done 99 times. This will be very exciting, I bet everyone's eager to play.

(Edit added a picture from the hundredth concert in Västerås - happy to se my trombone college is in heaven during my solo :wink: )

/Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Media”