Reminiscing about the good times pre-2020

Pictures, video, etc.
MrHCinDE

Reminiscing about the good times pre-2020

Post by MrHCinDE »

I just found a short video from the last large-scale concert I played in during the good old days of 2019:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTxlpMjmB5k

It's only one piece, the Norma Overture by Bellini but thought I'd share.

In the same concert we played Tchaikovsky's 4th Symphony, a new compositon for two pianos based on Bach preludes with orchestra and I got to listen to the rest of the gang playing the Mozart Concerto for two pianos. I'm going to order a copy of the whole concert on DVD for nostaligic purposes.

I'm looking forward to the next concert with the same orchestra, whenever that will be.

Anyone else got some videos or soundtracks to share from the good old days pre-2020?
robcat2075

Re: Reminiscing about the good times pre-2020

Post by robcat2075 »

So that is like a "community orchestra" as we call it in the US?

That sounds quite good. Most such ensembles in the US don't approach nearly that quality.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

Thanks, yes, I think you would call it a community orchestra in the US. It‘s mainly amateurs with one or two professional musicians. Off the top of my head, the leader is a full-time performer and there are several who are primarily teachers but may also have studied performance.

It‘s taken a while to really hit me but just recently I‘m really missing playing in groups, rehearsals and/or concerts, not to mention the social side also.
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

Yeah I have enjoyed practicing on my own until some weeks ago. Now I really miss playing in large groups and a the social going with it.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Nice, Richard. Is this an amateur ("community") ensemble, semi-professional group, or fully professional orchestra? Which trombone part were you playing?

Can't wait to join an orchestra again here in the U.S.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Literally my last 5 minutes of gig... spent 6 hours inside (hello intonation) waiting for the rain, went out for one set and got rained on again. It'll be a year next week-

Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

Posaunus wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:01 am Nice, Richard. Is this an amateur ("community") ensemble, semi-professional group, or fully professional orchestra? Which trombone part were you playing?

Can't wait to join an orchestra again here in the U.S.
Hi David, thanks, it‘s pretty much an amateur group in the financial sense as probably only the conductor and leader are paid. The ‚normal’ members actually pay a yearly membership fee and play just for fun.

In terms of the orchestra members, there are a handful of people who earn their living from music and/or have studied music, more so from teaching than playing I would think. The big majority, myself included, are amateurs.

We are lucky to have access to a nice 1000+ seater concert hall and a loyal following of supporters who are prepared to pay similar prices as for professional groups who come to the same venue. I‘m not claiming we‘re professional-level, only to say we appreciate that so many people are prepared to shell out for 30€-50€ ticket prices a couple of times a year to hear us. Many of them are friends and family so don‘t have much choice! Hopefully we will find a way to keep this going after COVID.

I played the 1st trombone part in that concert.

What made it particularly challenging for us amateurs was the limited rehearsal time. The previous concert was Beethoven‘s 9th at the end of October 2018 which was also pretty intense. That meant approx 18 x 2 hour rehearsals plus a top-up rehearsal weekend to work up the whole programme of:

Vincenzo Bellini – Norma Ouvertüre
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart – Konzert für zwei Klaviere
Sebastian Bartmann – minimalBACH (new composition based on Bach preludes, some tricky parts for orchestra)
Peter Iljitsch Tschaikowski – Sinfonie Nr. 4

Of course it wasn‘t perfect, but we really put our best effort in and were mostly happy with the performance. I think I‘m missing the sense of reward when things go reasonably well, as well as the Adrenalin that this is far from guaranteed.
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

Burgerbob wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:43 am Literally my last 5 minutes of gig... spent 6 hours inside (hello intonation) waiting for the rain, went out for one set and got rained on again. It'll be a year next week-

Nice! Who‘d have thought you‘d miss 6 hours of sitting around, followed by getting rained on!
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

We all did what we did, with all no idea it would come to a screeching halt a year ago.

My last public performance was a big band gig for a gala 80th birthday celebration on Valentine's Day (February 14) 2020. It was fun; the guests loved all the music from their past and danced up a storm; we played well; got paid, and went home happy. Then it all imploded! :weep:
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

MrHCinDE wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:36 am

Nice! Who‘d have thought you‘d miss 6 hours of sitting around, followed by getting rained on!
In normal times, this is quite choice. But we knew it was the last day of the park being open, and I was very keen to actually get some playing in... bad timing all around.
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

I don‘t mean to be insensitive but wow, talk about a tough gig. You have my full respect.

Let‘s hope we get back to some normality soon.
jthomas105

Post by jthomas105 »

Aiden,

Just saw that California is allowing MLB and Disneyland to reopen on April 1st. Do you have any news of if you will go back to work?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

jthomas105 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:10 pm Aiden,

Just saw that California is allowing MLB and Disneyland to reopen on April 1st. Do you have any news of if you will go back to work?
We've got the news as well... Nothing from the company yet. The band would need at least a month of lead time to come back (grace period and rehearsals for 3 weeks), so if somehow the park opens on April Fool's, the band will not.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Hey, I just got a J&J shot, so I'm on the road back to the "good Ole days*. Dialing up the old quartet and seeing what the plans for the orchestra and tbone choir are. We'll be back at it before you know it. I just felt better today than I've felt in a year. Honestly, a huge wave of ear-to-ear grin.
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

Well since its a Sunday and its not so far from Easter heres my trombone section on a Sunday morning when we could all meet without social distancing or anything else to worry about ... now wheres my horn I must find it again... Whats the position for Bb? :) - Doug

BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

DougHulme wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:25 am .... Whats the position for Bb? :) - Doug
F and Gb triggers, way out on the slide :)

We had our last concert on March 7, 2020. The next week it all hit the fan. If our concert gets listed somewhere I'll try to post a link.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

Darn... thats why I needed two triggers! :idea:
VJOFan

Post by VJOFan »

Burgerbob wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:43 am Literally my last 5 minutes of gig... spent 6 hours inside (hello intonation) waiting for the rain, went out for one set and got rained on again. It'll be a year next week-

When we head to WDW we always hunt down that park's version of your band. Probably the best part of any visit to the Magic Kingdom.

Answers the question of what players do after they age out of drum corps.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

VJOFan wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:36 am ]

When we head to WDW we always hunt down that park's version of your band. Probably the best part of any visit to the Magic Kingdom.

Actually, only a couple age-outs are in the band besides myself. The marching part of the job is much less difficult compared to the music part!
JCBone

Post by JCBone »

Must be quite a challenge for the trumpets to hit that entry.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

JCBone wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:47 pm
Must be quite a challenge for the trumpets to hit that entry.
You would think so, but usually it sounds like this-

https://youtu.be/IxlnlPXdFWI?t=161
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

hyperbolica wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:33 pm Hey, I just got a J&J shot, so I'm on the road back to the "good Ole days*. Dialing up the old quartet and seeing what the plans for the orchestra and tbone choir are. We'll be back at it before you know it. I just felt better today than I've felt in a year. Honestly, a huge wave of ear-to-ear grin.
Wait till tomorrow when you feel like total garbage from you shot!! Luckily it only lasts a day.

95% of my band is now vaccinated, so we have been having big band rehearsals and doing lots of video projects -- haven't had this much fun even before COVID. I would love to post a few videos we've done over the next few days. One that my friend arranged drops tomorrow, and I can't wait to share it because his group sounds so good.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

harrisonreed wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:58 pm
Wait till tomorrow when you feel like total garbage from you shot!! Luckily it only lasts a day.
Fortunately, the after-vaccine side effects are not always so strong. Apparently these consequences are likely to be much more severe in younger adults (say under 35) - like you and your mates, Harrison. (Apparently related to stronger immune system response in younger folks.) My wife and I, and several of our over-65 friends have had both vaccine doses (mostly Pfizer; a few Moderna) with essentially no after-effects except a slight sore arm for a day or two and a bit of tiredness. I guess there is some advantage to being old after all.

Like you, I'm feeling a new freedom, and that life for us is about to change. I can't wait until the others in my physically-distanced outdoor rehearsal groups (Dixieland combo and brass quartet) are also vaccinated - but they're mostly younger, and will have to wait their turn. Perhaps we can soon move back inside somewhere, stop worrying about the weather (we've recently been rained out a few times), and make better music because we'll be closer than 6 feet and can actually hear each other!

I'm afraid that it will be fall (September here in the northern hemisphere) before schools and other rehearsal spaces open for large groups such as orchestras. Can't wait!
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I didn't know that about the difference in immune responses. Glad you are all getting vaccinated!
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Actually, I don't feel bad at all. The worst part about it has been the guilt trip my wife tried to lay on me because I got the shot and she didn't.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

hyperbolica wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:36 pm
Actually, I don't feel bad at all. The worst part about it has been the guilt trip my wife tried to lay on me because I got the shot and she didn't.

Old guys rule!
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Good times are just around the corner.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Posaunus wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:13 pm
hyperbolica wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:36 pm

Old guys rule!
:idea: :lol: :lol:
dapfoo

Post by dapfoo »

This is my first response to a post here, though I was back on the old trombone forum "back in the day". In East Metro Atlanta We have been blessed to have a large enough rehearsal space for my 17+2 BB that we have returned to rehearsing for the last month, well spaced in a large circle. Thrilled to be back at it.
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

It's good to hear that some people are slowly developing a tiny bit of optimism that 2021 might not be a complete blowout.

The guys from the 10-piece ensemble I play must have been reading this thread. I hadn't heard anything from them for ages then yesterday got a mail that we hope to play a concert in July.

Here in Germany, you can buy the self-tests for 4€-5€ from a discount supermarket (or at least you could, the first batch has sold out already), I'm wondering whether this may be a useful tool for musicians? Subject to availabiltiy of tests I wouldn't personally object to each member testing themselves on the day of the weekly rehearsal for the price of a beer. The tests are not perfect in detecting all cases, but are reported to be pretty good at identifying when people are highly infectious if used properly. It wouldn't replace other precautions but could be a useful addition and give us more confidence in returning to ensemble playing?
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

Burgerbob wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:43 am Literally my last 5 minutes of gig...
That is a good-sounding ensemble, way better than I expect for something playing outdoors.

That has to be a treat for the Disneyland visitors, especially the ones whose only prior knowledge of a "band" is the sorry things they hear at high school football games. You fake them out by marching up in those old-style uniforms but then you start playing and BAM!
>>Robert Holmén<<

See my Spacepod movie
VJOFan

Post by VJOFan »

Burgerbob wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:43 pm
VJOFan wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:36 am ]

Actually, only a couple age-outs are in the band besides myself. The marching part of the job is much less difficult compared to the music part!
Totally agree that the music is on the challenging side. I'm a little sheepish to say we have been down to Florida enough to recognize all the members. There was a sub one day and I was impressed by the idea of coming in to a memorized, choreographed show like that and just fitting in. Do you have subs who learn the show and are on call?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

VJOFan wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:32 am
Burgerbob wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:43 pm

Totally agree that the music is on the challenging side. I'm a little sheepish to say we have been down to Florida enough to recognize all the members. There was a sub one day and I was impressed by the idea of coming in to a memorized, choreographed show like that and just fitting in. Do you have subs who learn the show and are on call?
I'm one of them! I sub on bass trombone and 3rd trombone. 80 minutes of music and choreo each. :)

robcat2075 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:39 am
Burgerbob wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:43 am Literally my last 5 minutes of gig...
That is a good-sounding ensemble, way better than I expect for something playing outdoors.

That has to be a treat for the Disneyland visitors, especially the ones whose only prior knowledge of a "band" is the sorry things they hear at high school football games. You fake them out by marching up in those old-style uniforms but then you start playing and BAM!
That's always the hope. You can tell when we surprise and we get :o faces at the first hit.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Burgerbob wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:36 pm ...

I'm one of them! I sub on bass trombone and 3rd trombone. 80 minutes of music and choreo each. :)

Ah. That would explain why I saw another Disneyland Band performance on YouTube and you weren't there.

Disney hires extremely competent musicians. Mostly younger players looking to gain experience. And your performance shows it. Nicely done.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I felt like it would be OK to share what my unit has been working on here, even though the are no trombones in this video. We have been getting more and more ability to rehearse on the same room and record together, and my friends have put together a really amazing recording in honor of MAR10 "Mario Day"

I am really proud to get to work with these guys every day!! Please share this if you like it! There will be one more video (of trombones!) that I'll post tomorrow!

We can make it out of this weird COVID world, guys, and be making music again!
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

Russian counterpart to BurgerBob's band at Disneyland...

>>Robert Holmén<<

See my Spacepod movie

Return to “Media”