feedback wanted

Pictures, video, etc.
Elow

feedback wanted

Post by Elow »

https://musescore.com/user/19075006/scores/6564246 how does it sound, musescore got an update and so i messed around with something and now i actually like it but something sounds a bit off to me
Burgerbob

Re: feedback wanted

Post by Burgerbob »

Nothing strikes me as super off, though the third-to-last chord is a bit strange in that context(second inversion Imaj7).

More to the point, write things you'd want to play. Looking at that bass or 3rd part, I'm not sure I'd want to play it.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
MagnumH

Post by MagnumH »

Sounds fine. As burgerbob says, that 3rd to last chord is a little strange at that point, but could be good if you’re going off in other directions.

The best point I can make regarding writing on musescore is...ignore how it sounds. Use playback to double check lines and harmonies, sure, but do NOT change your writing to make it sound better on the computer. All those bass trombone notes on the 1, for example...do you really want them 1.5 beats long? Or do you want them to be a full 1 beat, ie a quarter note with a tenuto? Musescore won’t play these back the same, but think about how you would play the part if it was presented to you. The dotted quarters look very odd in this context. I reiterate, never write to the software. You should be able to imagine the sound you want and write to that. The software won’t replay it perfectly, ever, but that’s fine.

Also, don’t forget that we all have to breathe. Bones 3 and 4 don’t get a lot of opportunity for that in the 2nd half. Either find a way to add rests (such as dovetailing entries) or, at the very least, write in breath marks (though be prepared for players to ignore these in reality).
Matt Hawke
Trombonist/Arranger/Bandleader
White Hot Brass Band // The Sideways // The Brass Machine
Stable: BAC Paseo W6 w/ DE MTN102 B+3; King 3B/F w/ Bach 4C; King 2B w/ King 12C
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

just put the mic closer to the speaker.
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
Elow

Post by Elow »

"fixed" it, i got a new mic and wanted to test it out so im gonna record it... my high range is not as good as i thought though
I originally had some really funky rhythm stuff going on going between 3/4 and 5/8 but i realized it would be pretty difficult for myself to do that and the dotted quarter was really to help solidify that feel and i just never changed it
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

The trick with the upper register is that you need to believe in it. Just will the high note into existence
PhilTrombone

Post by PhilTrombone »

Innovative use of the little-known 4-player trio. :-) You might want to re-title.
Nice compositional exercise. I concur with MagnumH re writing for the instruments, not the software.

You have some dynamics but no articulations (accents, staccatos, slurs). That would be a good next step.

Also try adding a bit to the bottom to help drive the music forward, like adding a note on the 3rd beat that drives to the next downbeat.

Thanks for sharing. :mrgreen:

Return to “Media”