ArbanRubank

Deep-Learning Model-Generated Music

Post by ArbanRubank »

Here we go. Buh-bye human composers. :weep: :weep: :weep: :weep:

https://openai.com/blog/musenet/
AndrewMeronek

Re: Deep-Learning Model-Generated Music

Post by AndrewMeronek »

I'm not too worried about tools like that making composition obsolete. Composers always grab the technology of their time to complement their skills, and I think ideas like this will be no exception.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Punk wasn’t about the music.
ExZacLee

Post by ExZacLee »

still not worried... so much of this generated music sounds "generated"
ArbanRubank

Post by ArbanRubank »

I used to speculate on why we still play old standards. When Willie Sutton was asked why he robbed banks, his reply was, "Because that's where the money is". We still play old standards b/c that's where the melodies (and beautiful chord changes) are!

The newer fare may have a certain youthful feel-good vibe to it, but as far as I am concerned, it is practically worthless for trombone instrumental play - in any balladeer musical way.

I suppose the trend will continue and even get worse. But I would like to see a new era in music, fashion and architectural/interior design where the best of all decades is fashionable, not just whatever the current fad might be.

I believe that technology should enable us, not drive us. I would like to see the new technology noted in my initial post to inspire me rather than hand something to me. Perhaps Band-in-a-Box and the like can benefit from it.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Doesn't this also only produce midi? It doesn't seem like it would be capable of producing something intelligently orchestrated, at least yet, let alone well engraved.

Return to “Technology”