Wireless mic system help

Jmac

Wireless mic system help

Post by Jmac »

Does anyone have experience with wireless mic systems? I’m thinking about getting one. I currently have a line 6 wireless for playing bass (guitar). Can I just add a mic to that? The connectors are the same? I see Shure makes systems that cost $400-$500. Is that where I need to be? Can I spend less? Thanks.
PaulT

Re: Wireless mic system help

Post by PaulT »

I have purchased several. Three or four for myself and a couple dozen over the years for the high school I direct the musical for and a small theater in town I work with. For the school, we have stuck with Shure systems. Shure is always a safe bet and their repair services, if needed, are reliable. But...

There are all kinds of good wireless outfits, Sennheiser might be the top dog and Audio Technica is always good...

And, from my experience, many of the cheap systems work just fine. I purchased a Samson system last year and it sounds great and it is built like a tank; metal housing and sturdy controls. And a fellow I know that runs sound in town for weddings, small theaters, and business conferences buys all kinds of inexpensive systems I have never heard of but are working out great for him, and he runs them like dogs.

If a couple hundred bucks here or there don't matter, get a Shure (or if you want the top dog, Sennheiser). But, I have no qualms about recommending a $300 Samson system (which will be the full equal of a $600 Shure system). And there are other brands that cost less and work fine, it's just hard to keep track of them

(and for school/institutional use they may not be the best bet because you don't know if they will have a repair shop in this country or even be in business a few years down the road. Samson, on the other hand has been around for 20 years or more and it is climbing up the quality ladder... some of their stuff now is really quite good... Samson is kind of like Behringer, another "used to be cheap but now is a legit bargain with stuff that works".

My advice, call up Sweetwater Sound. You will get good advice, some service, and a good price (Full Compass is also good, but I've come to prefer Sweetwater). Tell them what you want to do. If they say Sennheiser or Shure (and they likely will), ask them about Samson. Tell them dollars matter and you are only going so high (unless dollars don't matter, then get the Sennheiser ;) )
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

I would be remiss if I didn't mention Galaxy Audio, an audio company located in Wichita, Kansas. I have been using their headset mics with our high school's Shure wireless systems for 10 plus years. TWWcompany has be wonderful!!! And I have yet to find a set of ears that can differentiate between a $200 Galaxy headset mic and a $600 Countryman (and I have had two Countrymans).

With high school theater and the high school kids who are using them and swapping them back and forth depending on who is on stage, there will be breakdowns (with any brand). And Galaxy's repair shop is absolutely wonderful. They are quick, reasonable in price, and if they can't fix it (or judge the fix to not be economical) they will sell you a replacement mic or cord at cost.

(and Galaxy is the outfit that came up with the replaceable cord before anyone else, which was great because it is nearly always the relatively inexpensive cord that develops a short and goes down; the mics hardly ever go down).

(and don't worry, an adult who is half-assed careful will likely have no repair issues, ever. I have never had any trouble with my personal stuff. But high school theater with its multiple users and multiple costume changes is another ballgame entirely)

Anyhoo, I love Galaxy. There stuff works, is sturdy, and is affordable. And their repair shop, when needed, always leaves me feeling I gotten a good deal, which I have... always.
Last edited by PaulT on Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jmac

Post by Jmac »

Thanks for all the info. The guy at Sweetwater said I should be able to add a Shure mic to my existing wireless and I’ll be good. That’ll save on some $. We’ll see how it goes this weekend.
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

Good deal!

Return to “Technology”