Need advice on recording rehearsals using digital recorder

Kingfan

Need advice on recording rehearsals using digital recorder

Post by Kingfan »

I just got a nice used Tascam DR 40 for cheap to record our big band rehearsals and send out to our members for review. I was able to download a manual and will work through it, but was wondering if any forum members had any specific tips on recording a big band rehearsal and/or editing it after on the computer. Thanks!
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
timothy42b

Re: Need advice on recording rehearsals using digital recorder

Post by timothy42b »

I record the occasional rehearsal to listen to myself (intonation, balance) and most of our community band concerts.

I use an H2 but the process is probably similar. I record at a low level. Import into Audacity. Select all, Normalize. That brings the levels up to listenable. Then I delete the silence, chop it into tracks (select cursor to end, Split New), rename, export to MP3. Depending on the size and number I will email an MP3 or put them on boxnet and email a link.
Kingfan

Re: Need advice on recording rehearsals using digital recorder

Post by Kingfan »

Thanks! Our lead trumpet uses a Zoom H2 but has a full time job and sometimes has trouble getting them all uploaded, edited, and sent out in time for people to work on for the next rehearsal. I just heard myself on lead for the first time - I was afraid I was going to listen then put all my horns up for sale, but I surprised myself.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King

Return to “Technology”