Hands or Feet?

Geordie

Hands or Feet?

Post by Geordie »

In the next few weeks will start migrating my function band charts, then other stuff, onto an iPad I am yet to buy.
I understand that it possible to turn pages using a hand or foot operated device. My question is which of those alternatives have you found works best?
Are there any applications for scanning in/reading the charts you’d recommend. I’m particularly thinking about multi page jumps eg da capo, dal segno etc as well as some faded and/or handwritten stuff.
The hardware technology changes regularly. So, although we’ve discussed iPads many times in Chat, I was wondering what model you’d currently recommend for reading music and running iReal Pro.
Grateful for any guidance you might offer. Thanks.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not a rehearsal
Elow

Re: Hands or Feet?

Post by Elow »

I use forscore and using a foot turner completely changed the game for me. Now i prefer using an ipad over paper, much cheaper than paying 5 cent per page at my school. The foot operated page turner is really helpful, i was expecting some tiny kind of delay because it’s bluetooth, but it’s instant. My device has like 80 options to set up things like multiple page turns, and a bunch of other things that i haven’t messed with, pretty sure there’s a metronome on it that counts how many bars until it changes, it’s got a lot of options. The only problem is me, i sometimes forget to turn but i’ve just started drawing feet on my music when i need to change pages
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

I also use ForScore and an AirTurn foot controller. Setting ForScore to half page mode gives me extra time to remember to switch pages. This setup is especially nice when playing outside in the wind. No more chasing music. I just can't confuse my time keeping foot with my page turning foot. :-)

It's also much easier to carry around an iPad than a LARGE notebook full of charts.
Steve
rdalton

Post by rdalton »

Playing trombone, I prefer a foot pedal to turn pages. I use this:
https://www.pageflip.com/collections/pa ... ts/firefly
They sometimes offer discounts to first-time buyers.
The charts I have played have been mostly scanned in for previous players. If I had to scan them in myself with multi-page DS and DC, I might consider copying those pages twice and keeping the turns going to the right (something like Page 1 with a DC or DS and Coda sign, Page 3 with the sign and coda - scan in order 1, 2, 3, 1, and possibly 3 again).
When writing charts (usually big band charts), I try to have rests for a page turn at least once every 2 pages for print users. I mostly avoid DS and DC - often for fresh scoring of material - in any case I like to keep the roadmap simple since it saves rehearsal time. I also make pdf files of each part. I have had requests for the pdf part files for users who use a tablet. That is much easier than scanning later.

BTW - the last time I played a wedding gig from a large binder was about 4 or 5 years ago:
The music stand had trouble with the weight.
The lighting varied greatly (flashing lights). Very hard to read. With a tablet, you get a steady backlight making reading MUCH easier.
Elow

Post by Elow »

I use the pageflip dragonfly, works great after you learn all the stuff on it
afugate

Post by afugate »

rdalton wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:07 am The charts I have played have been mostly scanned in for previous players. If I had to scan them in myself with multi-page DS and DC, I might consider copying those pages twice and keeping the turns going to the right (something like Page 1 with a DC or DS and Coda sign, Page 3 with the sign and coda - scan in order 1, 2, 3, 1, and possibly 3 again).
Apologies if I'm adding something you already know, but ForScore links are one of my favorite things about the app, right behind cropping / deskewing.

With links, ForScore jumps you directly to the next location and flashes a colored highlight on the destination. This was a tremendous help in the last pit gig I did. It's also great for big band gigs, of course.

--Andy in OKC.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

I use MobileSheets on a Chromebook and an airturn foot pedal. I am far from being adept at it, but I love having all my music on one device.

I've tried different methods for scanning. What I'm doing now is scan with the iPhone. The Files app that comes with has a built in scan documents function that will do gray scale and save to Google Drive. My Chromebook will download from Google Drive and MobileSheets can access Google Drive directly.
hwlentz

Post by hwlentz »

I started with the foot pedal but switched to the flic hand button. There’s a guy that makes a clip that attaches to your hand brace. For me the flic can be a hair slower but I haven’t found it to be a problem using and I like it better than the foot pedal, although I still use the pedal for euphonium. I’ve also used the forscore ‘rearrange’ function to copy DS/DC and coda sections such that I never have to page back. I bought the Scanner Pro app when I started - I don’t think forscore had a scan function then or else I wasn’t aware of it. I like it better the the forscore option except for scanning on the fly in rehearsal. I’ve scanned in all 4 ‘bone books for our jazz band. It did take a while, mostly on the renaming of the chart end. I set up an assembly line where I would lay out 20-30 pages and walk down the row scanning. After sending the file to forscore I would use the rearrange function to split into the individual charts. Here’s the link to the flic button clip (you might want to get the flic button first and make sure you’re happy with it.)

https://www.etsy.com/shop/TEAIndustries
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Lots of info here, thanks everyone. I’ll start looking at your suggestions in depth and make some buying decisions. Thanks again.
Life is not a rehearsal
tbathras

Post by tbathras »

I have the PageFlip Firefly with my iPad and forscore; works great. The firefly is overkill for my use, the butterfly would have been fine for simple page tuning which is all I do.

I *like* that the PageFlip runs on AA batteries and does not recharge. It take so little the batteries last forever and you never have to remember to charge it; just keep a spare set in the gig bag and you're golden.
--
Bass Trombone
Casco Bay Wind Symphony
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Thus has been really helpful. I’ve identified the iPad based on your advice and a bit of research. As far as page turn pedals go I’m between an Airturn and a Pageflip. I’d like to turn pages, move through a set list and cue in my backing tracks using the pedal set. Is this even possible? Would I need a quad pedal set?
Life is not a rehearsal

Return to “Technology”