Mic recommendations for DJ sets

leafylief

Mic recommendations for DJ sets

Post by leafylief »

So I will be testing the 3 mics i already have. I have a clip on AT lav mic, an sm 58, and the silent brass system.

I'm a DJ and i've been playing "techno brass." Trombone riffs that mimic techno hooks, buildups, and drops. I had my first show doing this last week and the audience lost their shit when i busted out the horn.

On the sound test, I was (surprisingly) much louder than the massive club PA speakers (the club can hold about 100 people). But as much as the audience loved it, i didn't blend well with the compressed, synthetic techno beats, just played and outshined them.

Also, if I get a mic i can mix effects through my mixer (which i have) or pedals (which I don't own --yet).

There seems to be pros and cons for each.

The sm 58 isn't very portable or flexible. Often the stage I'm on is small. I'd like to move around, be performative. But it's a dynamic mic that plugs right into the mixer.

The clip on lav mic is nice and portable and flexible, but I'm worried about potential feedback issues. Not sure if yall are aware, but techno music is really really loud in a club setting. Also, DJ mixers don't provide phantom power so i'd have to get some kind of adapter for it.

The silent brass option could work. It'll muffle the sound of the horn to help it integrate better into the synthetic tracks, but it's not the highest quality sound. It'll also fully muffle the trombone, taking away the live feel.

I haven't had a chance to test these, but I'm going to try to go to my frien'd's DJ studio in the next week or so and see if any of these options just will or will not work, or if anything happens to shine.

Im not sure if any of you guys are DJs or play over club systems, but are there other options to consider? Maybe a clip on dynamic mic? A creative solution?
-Leafy O Lief
King 3B+ Sterling
Geordie

Re: Mic recommendations for DJ sets

Post by Geordie »

Clip on mic seems a good route. I use Shure - a version of this https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Li ... WQQAvD_BwE
But there are other makes that have the mic and transmitter in one unit that work well I’m told.
Search the threads on here too.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not a rehearsal

Return to “Technology”