Android opening stuff on its own

whitbey

Android opening stuff on its own

Post by whitbey »

I have a Kyocera Model E6810 Android phone. It is a military spec that I need. My problem is something wakes the phone up like a call, spam or fathom alert. Then apps start opening in my pocket and changing things and doing things. Other then turning the phone off when I am not using it, how can I stop this?
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
Elow

Re: Android opening stuff on its own

Post by Elow »

Is the phone off when you get a notification? If you have a password then nothing should be able to open without you unlocking it.
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

Is the phone off when you get a notification?
It is asleep

If you have a password then nothing should be able to open without you unlocking it.
I had a password, now I do not. It still will do its thing either way. But not every time.
Without the pw it was easier to stop the things.
Butt dials are the worst.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Could be your telephone supplier making updates (some of which are "updates"). If your phone is Chinese, it could be contacting the Beijing Government with your location.

If it's a US Gummint issue, have the IT folks look it over. If it's yours, maybe go to the phone supplier and see if it can be reset.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

Since I have been walkung much this Corona pendemic, about one and a half hour a day I have had my phone in the pocket a lot. I had some problems at first but could locate them to the buttons on the sides of the phone. If you press those a few times it could lead to some default action triggers automatically. I first noticed this because I phoned the same friend repeatedly from the picket. I found out that if I pushed once the phone app opened, if I pushed twice the address book opened, fourth push the first person in the address book was activated, fifth time it triggered a call to the active person. It could be something like that that causes your problem.

/Tom
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

FWIW, the US Government has banned the government purchase of devices designed by at least five Chinese companies (like Huawei) for the military, probably for all federal agencies. I can't tell if the ban is for everyone in the US, so please let me know if it's a flat out ban if anyone knows. I don't think they are issuing anything like that out, though the OP is taking about a phone from a US/Japanese company.

Every government issued phone I've seen has been an ancient Nokia phone, or if you're really fancy, a BlackBerry... But I'm sure many government agencies get way better phones than those examples.

No doubt the NSA buys Huaweis to tear apart, but that would just make sense, and they probably buy every phone as soon as it comes in the market.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Tom, what you describe we in the US refer to as "butt dialing" since a lot of folks keep the cell phone in the rear pocket of the pants and when they sit on it some odd buttons get pressed. I remember getting a butt dial call from somebody at a company that had fired me. Listened to a lot of idle noise in his office until I ended the call.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

The phone is not a gov issue, just a military spec bought off EBay.
The latest thing made the center button on the front not wiling to wake the phone.. Maybe a good thing. I found a setting on the extra programmable Key on the left side that said it would wake the device on a long press. Even thought the key is set to do nothing I turned it off.
I think the main issue is when the phone rings and I do not answer it, the thing wakes up after I hit the power button to sleep it. Then it starts doing things as the glass bounces in my pocket.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Is there a reason it has to meet government specs? If not, I'd try a hard reset. Then start ditching programs you don't know what they do.

Worst case you may need to delete EVERYTHING and build it anew.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

Yup. I did the hard reset back to factory 4 weeks ago. When the phone rings or an alarm goes off, somehow the phone wakes up and then in my pocket it starts up things. Forcing it to stay asleep is needed.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile

Return to “Technology”