Timing in Soundtrap?

PMPugs20

Timing in Soundtrap?

Post by PMPugs20 »

Hey all, I'm pretty new here and this is something I've needed to figure out.
Since band is virtual, "performances" and assignments have all been recorded. I have a good enough microphone and space that the sound quality is fine! My only issue is timing. I'll record one part with the metronome that's built into our online DAW, then record the next part the same way, etc. etc. The only problem is, it never comes out together, and moving the parts around doesn't fix it. I know for a fact I'm playing mostly in time with the metronome, and multiple re-records didn't help, even with the other tracks muted. If I was recording for YouTube or a serious performance, I'd use my DAW of choice (Reaper) and actually program a click and everything to make sure it came out correctly, but I don't want to have to do that for a simple assignment. Are there any quick and easy ways to make the recordings play together in time? Sorry for the novel of a post, I don't know how much info is needed.
Inaugural member of The Naperville Winds
Tenor trombone
Equipment
Bach 42BO w/ Hammond 12ML
Yamaha YSL-651 w/ Bach 6 1/2AL
Thomann SL-35 alto w/ Schilke 47B
Neo Bri

Re: Timing in Soundtrap?

Post by Neo Bri »

Are you a bot?
PMPugs20

Post by PMPugs20 »

Not a bot, just looking for help.
Tenor trombone
Equipment
PMPugs20

Post by PMPugs20 »

I know the question sounds really really stupid, but even my teacher, a professional player making his living off of playing in his jazz band, said that the timing issue isn't my fault, at least not fully. My only hunch is the fact that it's an online DAW, but since our school uses Chromebooks I can't use my normal set up (as much as I want to!).
Tenor trombone
Equipment
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

If you are looking to sync several tracks, a short sharp noise in tempo a known time before the start of each track can be used with something that has wave forms like Audacity (I'm not familiar with your app).

We used claps for the TromboneChat Christmas Carol (ask Mikebmiller for how he worked it). You could also use a rap from a Clave or rhythm sticks.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

Check that your project rates all match. Sometimes devices record at something other than 41000. When you drop files with different rates into the same project they can be compressed or stretched. A quick way to test for this is to see if the pitch is transposed up or down from what its supposed to be.
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Just for the heck of it, try recording a couple tracks of just a time click and see if you can get them to line up. I suspect you'll find that you can't.

You might also try running a latency test on your connection.
https://test.webrtc.org/?test_filter=Network%20latency
PMPugs20

Post by PMPugs20 »

Thank you all for the advice!! I checked the rates and they're all at 41000, so we're good there. As for recording just a click and/or syncing with claps, I'll try today and let you guys know!
Tenor trombone
Equipment
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Are you able to try Soundtrap on a different computer (i.e., a Mac or a Windows PC)?
Has your teacher mentioned whether other students are having the same issue?

I would look to the quality (as opposed to speed) of your connection first (thus my suggestion that you run a latency test) first.

Just out of curiosity - what sort of Chromebook do you have? They're definitely not all created equal, and a lot of districts have had to really scramble to come up with enough devices to cover everyone.
PMPugs20

Post by PMPugs20 »

1. Recording just the click had it in time. I also clapped on beat 1 of the metronome on 2 tracks and the claps were perfectly in sync. Proof that a) my timing is good enough that this shouldn't be an issue and b) this CAN be solved.
2. Yes! Every other student I've talked to has issues with this.
3. I don't have the results on hand, but the speedtest was good.
4. Acer chromebook, I don't know what model cuz our district basically castrates them before we get them.
5. I would try it on my good Windows PC, but at that point I might as well use Reaper. If it comes down to it I might!
Tenor trombone
Equipment
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

PMPugs20 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:49 pm Recording just the click had it in time. I also clapped on beat 1 of the metronome on 2 tracks and the claps were perfectly in sync.
So clicks and claps sync up fine in Soundtrap, but the sync is messed up when you (and other students) try it playing?
Are they all using school Chromebooks?
I don't have the results on hand, but the speedtest was good.
Did you run the latency test, or just a speed test? Two different things.
Acer chromebook, I don't know what model cuz our district basically castrates them before we get them.
That's one reason they use Chromebooks - but there still should be a model number printed on it somewhere.
I would try it on my good Windows PC, but at that point I might as well use Reaper. If it comes down to it I might!
Using Reaper might solve your own issues, but it's not going to help figure out what's wrong - and thus will not help your fellow students.
PMPugs20

Post by PMPugs20 »

1. Yes, everyone is using school Chromebooks.
2. Latency test.
3. I'll check later today!
4. Good point, I'll test it here.
Thanks so much for helping me here!
Tenor trombone
Equipment
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Based on the results of the latency test on your own connection, and the fact that, to the best of your knowledge, everyone is seeing the same issues. I think we can eliminate bandwidth and connection quality as likely causes.

The next thing to look at is the Chromebook itself. They're not computing powerhouses by any means, though some are certainly more powerful than others. That's why I asked what model you have (it would also help to know if the other students seeing this issue have the same make/model - a lot of schools have mixed fleets).

Eventually this is going to end up in the hands of the IT people at your school district. What I'm trying to do is guide you through some of troubleshooting steps so you and your teacher have something to take to them.

Return to “Technology”