Recording Trombone on a microphone

MikeMel

Recording Trombone on a microphone

Post by MikeMel »

I want to start recording myself playing and doing multitracks etc., just as a hobby type thing to do to improve my skills and try something new. I'm struggling to find a microphone that is good to record a trombone. What microphone have some of you used?

P.S. Im currently looking at the Shure SM-57 but im interested to hear your guys' opinions. Thanks!
BGuttman

Re: Recording Trombone on a microphone

Post by BGuttman »

The microphone is only one piece of the overall recording system.

The Shure 57 is a good microphone at a beginner level. Some of us will recommend other (and very much more expensive) microphones.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

Shure SM-57s will get you pretty far. Are you looking at using an audio-to-USB interface and record directly to your PC or laptop?
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

You can get your feet wet with the focusrite scarlett 2i2 interface and .... some other microphone than the one that comes with it. Large diaphragm omnis are pretty good if the room is good, otherwise cardioids.

You can use audacity, which is free, or cakewalk which is more suited to multitracking and also free.
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

If you’re just getting started buy the 57.

Such a solid microphone and will last forever! Just a great mic to have in the arsenal.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
Floridatrombonekenneth

Post by Floridatrombonekenneth »

I have the mxl R144 for home studio/ tracking. In a better room I will use a large condenser.
I also use the Scarlett 2i2, which as previously mentioned works great.
FWIW I use Reaper as my DAW but I hear studio1 is also great
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Keep the Shure SM-57. Perfectly good mic. Robust. Will last a lifetime.
Pre59

Post by Pre59 »

I have a Rode M2, which is a stage condenser mic, with an unusually flat response. It can take a lot of volume but records well. It does need phantom power, which audio interfaces and most mixers have. It has a broader pickup pattern than a SM57 but because it's more uniform it doesn't feedback badly. I'm assuming that the OP may want to use a mic for live as well.

http://cdn1.rode.com/m2_datasheet.pdf

http://www.thesoundguyisinvisible.com/2 ... se-curves/
SteelDeRosa

Post by SteelDeRosa »

What about a microphone to record on an iPhone? Is there such a thing?
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Carl Fontana carried an EV 635A for the purpose, aka, the "Hammond Hammer".
TriJim

Post by TriJim »

SteelDeRosa wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:28 am What about a microphone to record on an iPhone? Is there such a thing?
Shure MV88 microphone plugs directly into the lightning plug on your iPhone. Comes with custom recording software for audio and video that produces files that can be used in any DAW or video editing program.

I own the MV88 and frequently record video with my iPhone, but prefer to record audio with a PreSonus AudioBox directly to my Windows PC (with Studio One DAW and PreSonus M7 Condensor mic).

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
SteelDeRosa

Post by SteelDeRosa »

Ah! Fantastic! Thanks for the helpful response!
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

SteelDeRosa wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:28 am What about a microphone to record on an iPhone? Is there such a thing?
I’ve heard good things about the Apogee HypeMic
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
BrianJohnston

Post by BrianJohnston »

I'm a YouTuber (now) and I recommend trying to spend as little money as possible on equipment, and try to make your set-up & settings as good as possible. With that being said, I do have some advice that could cost you thousands... But start small.
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Brian - I notice on your YT videos that are using a ribbon mic that was about $400. Did that make a big difference over a USB or whatever other mic you had before?
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

It doesn't matter how good your mic or audio chain is if you are trying to record in a crappy room. The trombone IS the room sound.

That goes for the YT stuff. 99% of these YT videos from all manner of pros and amateurs have the mic far too close to the trombone, so it sounds really fake.
Last edited by harrisonreed on Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Briande

Post by Briande »

I also use a Shure MV88 and have been pleased with the sound. Then right into GarageBand.
I’m not a collector, I just have too many trombones….
King 2B. King 3B. King 3B+ w/F attachment and gold brass bell. King Duo Gravis. Getzen 1047FR. Conn 6H. Conn 48H.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

harrisonreed wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:00 pm It doesn't matter how good your mic or audio chain is if you are trying to record in a crappy room. The trombone IS the room sound.

That goes for the YT stuff. 99% of these YT videos from all manner of pros and amateurs have the mic far too close to the trombone, so it sounds really fake.
I have found that about 3 feet from the bell at a 20 degree offset seems to work for me with my AT2020. I have seen Jim Nova's demo a couple of times and he plays way off from the mic, like 6 feet or more. Whatever works for you.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I have a Blue Yeti that I got for spoken voice recording. I've had to dial this way back when trying to record trombone, and I still don't feel that I've made decent recordings with it. Is this kind of mic just not well suited, or am I not getting the settings right?
ArbanRubank

Post by ArbanRubank »

Every mic has it's good and bad. But it's the filters in the DAW where the magic happens. Every mic either picks up what it picks up, or not so much. And because we are going from live to electronic, there will be some measure of either distortion, enhancement of unwanted frequencies or loss.

When I record myself on bass, I always at least run the track through a low-pass filter to soften and enrichen the lows. Then maybe an equalizer to boost the mid-range a bit for more "presence" and finally perhaps a reverb filter to make it a bit less dry b/c my studio is a little dry (on purpose for sound-dampening to the rest of the house and neighborhood).

So pick a mic and learn how got get the most of out it. But at the same time, make nice with your DAW b/c it's your real friend!
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Mikebmiller wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:19 am
harrisonreed wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:00 pm It doesn't matter how good your mic or audio chain is if you are trying to record in a crappy room. The trombone IS the room sound.

I have found that about 3 feet from the bell at a 20 degree offset seems to work for me with my AT2020. I have seen Jim Nova's demo a couple of times and he plays way off from the mic, like 6 feet or more. Whatever works for you.
It's more like 12-24 ft for him. Close miking is great for live amplification, reducing bleed, and recordings where the room isn't good, but it'll sound "clean and edited". The music genre also matters.
BrianJohnston

Post by BrianJohnston »

Mikebmiller wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:10 pm Brian - I notice on your YT videos that are using a ribbon mic that was about $400. Did that make a big difference over a USB or whatever other mic you had before?
I mean. I never had a pro mic before this. I was previously doing recordings with my iPhone SE (2016). I got my Ribbon mic it for a multitude of things including recitals that I typically do annually (but not amongst the pandemic) but for now i'm using it just for YouTube really. There is a cheap USB mic called Maono for about $27 that I bought for travel/zoom/teaching etc, I find it better than other mics in the 50-150$ range.

With that being said, yes a $400 Ribbon mic will sound better than an iPhone or USB mic, but depending on what you the microphone for, the $400-$1,000 mic can be overkill. I just happened to really fall in love with the sound of the SE VR1, I had the money, and wanted to buy it... Rest is history.
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I am using a AT USB2020 now and it works OK in that it's probably as good as I actually need, but in the never ending quest for new music toys, I might like to try a ribbon mic sometime. Sweetwater has some in the $200 range.
fsgazda

Post by fsgazda »

I am going to resurrect this topic to ask a question. When using a ribbon mic to record yourself unaccompanied, do you use a stereo pair, or is 1 mic sufficient?
Frank S. Gazda
Professor of Music, Delaware State University
Freelance Low Brass, Mid-Atlantic
www.firststatebrass.com
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

fsgazda wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:06 pm I am going to resurrect this topic to ask a question. When using a ribbon mic to record yourself unaccompanied, do you use a stereo pair, or is 1 mic sufficient?
I don't know enough about ribbon mics but every time I see them they are in mono, being used to track horns from a relatively close distance.

For stereo, usually you see LDCs, or some sort of condenser. For example there is one recording on the album "the sacred trombone" where they place a spaced pair of U89s in the exact middle of the church, very distant from the trombone and organ, to create a sense of you actually sitting in the church. It really is nuts when the trombone is moved in different directions, especially listening with headphones.

You can still use a stereo pair around 2-3 meters away, if you want to make sure that motion left/right off the bell is transparent either by itself, or within a bigger stereo image with other instruments.
Savio

Post by Savio »

I had two chineese ribbon mics and they was fantastic. But they are very fraqile so mine got destroyed by an accident.

In a nice sounding room I put the mic fare a way, then its nice with two mics. In a bad room I put it closer and then one mic is enough. A dynamic mic should be close. Well, thats all my knowledge about mics guys! And its probably best to take it with a grain of salt ;)

Leif

Return to “Technology”