Disable silent brass reverb

JLivi

Disable silent brass reverb

Post by JLivi »

Does anyone know if you can disable the Reverb on the silent brass system? I would love to start recording trombone late at night, but don’t want the reverb that’s built into the system to be a part of my track.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
BGuttman

Re: Disable silent brass reverb

Post by BGuttman »

I have the older one and one of the dials on the amp pack is reverb.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

BGuttman wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:35 am I have the older one and one of the dials on the amp pack is reverb.
I should’ve mentioned, I have the newer one. I don’t think it has the dials like the old one. Maybe I’ll find my old console and see if it works with the new mute.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
brumpone

Post by brumpone »

Yeah, the new ones seems to have 2 settings: a little and a lot.
Gary

Post by Gary »

brumpone wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:31 am Yeah, the new ones seems to have 2 settings: a little and a lot.
Stating the obvious, but have you put it on the lesser of the two settings? Is that still too much for you?

Keep in mind that the room you practice in may have some reverb, anyway, so this setting might take that in consideration and give you a realistic amount of rever, as it is.
TromboneConcerto

Post by TromboneConcerto »

JLivi wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:54 am
BGuttman wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:35 am I have the older one and one of the dials on the amp pack is reverb.
I should’ve mentioned, I have the newer one. I don’t think it has the dials like the old one. Maybe I’ll find my old console and see if it works with the new mute.
I'm using the old device with a new mute... It's working fine for me :good:
quiethorn

Post by quiethorn »

I have the newer Silent Brass too. As far as I've found, no, there's no way to disable the reverb completely, only set it to the low setting. I have a feeling the reverb has something to do with their newer brass modeling, because it definitely does sound better than the older Silent Brass. But maybe part of the reason is sounds better is because of the reverb in the first place, so who knows.
andym

Post by andym »

What is your recording device? Can you run the mute directly into it and also monitor through it? Perhaps you can get rid of the Yamaha electronics completely. I’m guessing that the mute doesn’t have the reverb built into it.
Last edited by andym on Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The user formerly known as amichael on TTF.
quiethorn

Post by quiethorn »

andym wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:17 am What is your recording device? Can you run the mute directly into it and also monitor through it? Perhaps you can get rid of the Yamaha electronics completely. I’m guessing that the mute doesn’t have the reverb built into it?
I've tried this, and the sound is so faint that it's barely audible above the noise floor when normalized. I remember the old Silent Brass was like this too. It's like there's some sort of phantom power running across the mic, and I don't know of any preamps that can apply phantom power on a 1/4" or 1/8" jack. Yamaha must be doing something special here. If someone was willing to potentially fry their Silent Brass, I guess you could get a 1/8" TRS jack that has an XLR on the other end, plug it into a preamp with phantom power, and see if that works. :idk:
andym

Post by andym »

Interesting. Thanks for the info on how the Yamaha works.
The user formerly known as amichael on TTF.
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

JLivi wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:08 am I would love to start recording trombone late at night, but don’t want the reverb that’s built into the system to be a part of my track.
quiethorn wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:13 am Yamaha must be doing something special here.
Late to the party, I realise, but thought I'd put the answer into the archives if nothing else.

Recently picked up a gen 2 Silent Brass (SB5X, so PM5X mute and STX-2 amp) to try just because it was used and super cheap. General verdict - plays very well (and conveniently light/compact) for a practice mute; electronics feel like a well-implemented but slightly pointless gimmick - I'm not going to forget I've got a mute in, so I don't personally find the headphone experience particularly interesting, but it does what it does pretty well.

Anyway, as I expected (but checked with the multimeter first!), there's no proprietary mystery going on here. The mute takes 'plug-in power', a 3-5v standard on 3.5mm TRS jacks usually found on video cameras and wireless mic systems for powering electret condenser mics. The STX-2 supplies 3v, but 5v isn't going to fry anything. If you understand these things it would be straightforward enough to make up a converter with a couple of AAs wired across certain pin combinations, but the easiest thing to do is to get a converter plug like the Rode VXLR+ that takes 48v phantom power over XLR and converts it to plug-in power over TRS, allowing you to use the mute direct into any normal phantom-equipped mic preamp.

No reverb this way, but also none of the aggressive EQ curve that the STX-2 applies, so the dry signal sounds a lot like a cheap lav mic shoved a mile up your bell - because that's what it is. If you have plenty of post-processing in mind anyway, no problem. If you were hoping to keep things simple, then recording the STX-2 output on the shorter reverb setting might still be preferable :good:
quiethorn

Post by quiethorn »

ithinknot wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:49 am
JLivi wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:08 am I would love to start recording trombone late at night, but don’t want the reverb that’s built into the system to be a part of my track.
quiethorn wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:13 am Yamaha must be doing something special here.
Late to the party, I realise, but thought I'd put the answer into the archives if nothing else.

Recently picked up a gen 2 Silent Brass (SB5X, so PM5X mute and STX-2 amp) to try just because it was used and super cheap. General verdict - plays very well (and conveniently light/compact) for a practice mute; electronics feel like a well-implemented but slightly pointless gimmick - I'm not going to forget I've got a mute in, so I don't personally find the headphone experience particularly interesting, but it does what it does pretty well.

Anyway, as I expected (but checked with the multimeter first!), there's no proprietary mystery going on here. The mute takes 'plug-in power', a 3-5v standard on 3.5mm TRS jacks usually found on video cameras and wireless mic systems for powering electret condenser mics. The STX-2 supplies 3v, but 5v isn't going to fry anything. If you understand these things it would be straightforward enough to make up a converter with a couple of AAs wired across certain pin combinations, but the easiest thing to do is to get a converter plug like the Rode VXLR+ that takes 48v phantom power over XLR and converts it to plug-in power over TRS, allowing you to use the mute direct into any normal phantom-equipped mic preamp.

No reverb this way, but also none of the aggressive EQ curve that the STX-2 applies, so the dry signal sounds a lot like a cheap lav mic shoved a mile up your bell - because that's what it is. If you have plenty of post-processing in mind anyway, no problem. If you were hoping to keep things simple, then recording the STX-2 output on the shorter reverb setting might still be preferable :good:
Ooh, very nice. I knew there must be some power going to the mute, but I wasn't familiar with plug-in power.

I might give this a shot. The STX-2 is nice if you're practicing stuff at night or something, but I'm always going through my computer when I use it, and being able to process completely dry would be useful.

Thanks for the info!
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Happy to help!

I can promise the Rode works, but I'd probably steer clear of the knockoffs on the Bezosbay (they're not much cheaper anyway)
quiethorn

Post by quiethorn »

ithinknot wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:17 pm Happy to help!

I can promise the Rode works, but I'd probably steer clear of the knockoffs on the Bezosbay (they're not much cheaper anyway)
The Rode is back-ordered at most places I checked, so I was looking at some of those knockoffs, but yeah, the first comment on them tends to be "don't buy this one, it's junk, buy the Rode for $10 more" :biggrin:

Return to “Technology”