iPhone to iPhone (or other) camera

timothy42b

iPhone to iPhone (or other) camera

Post by timothy42b »

Can I use an old iPhone as an inspection camera to check my gutters? Tape it to a long stick, reach up, and watch what the camera sees on some other screen?

When we upgraded i kept an old iPhone. It doesn't have cell any more, but it has wifi and bluetooth, and I use it for making recordings, my tuner and metronome, etc.

i started googling but maybe somebody's already done this. I have available: other iPhones, a Kindle Fire, an iPad.

What's the easiest way?
timothy42b

Re: iPhone to iPhone (or other) camera

Post by timothy42b »

My wifi router is at one end of the house, and if the connection is exclusively wifi I can't connect outside the other end. So the easy nanny cam route may not work.
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

You could start a video on the phone and then check your gutters. Replay the video when finished.
Steve
slipperyjoe

Post by slipperyjoe »

I'm assuming that you don't want to invest in other equipment, but it works with Apple TV (just tried it). I see references to apps that allow iPhone mirroring to an iPad or Macintosh. Might be worth looking into.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Do you have a regular laptop computer of some sort?

You could try installing EpocCam on the old iPhone and the laptop, then hotspot your newer iPhone and use it as a bridge to connect the old iPhone to the laptop.
slipperyjoe

Post by slipperyjoe »

How about Skype or something similar from old iPhone to new (or iPad) via wifi?
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

slipperyjoe wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:49 am How about Skype or something similar from old iPhone to new (or iPad) via wifi?
I think the problem is the lack of a wifi signal at one end of the house. Some sort of peer-to-peer connection is in order.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Or just start a video with the camera app and watch it afterwards.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
slipperyjoe

Post by slipperyjoe »

JohnL wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:59 pm
slipperyjoe wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:49 am How about Skype or something similar from old iPhone to new (or iPad) via wifi?
I think the problem is the lack of a wifi signal at one end of the house. Some sort of peer-to-peer connection is in order.
Missed that. Hotspot then.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Burgerbob wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:27 pm Or just start a video with the camera app and watch it afterwards.
I've tried that in similar situations and got great videos of everything but what I really wanted to see. It's much easier when you can see what the camera sees in real time.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

JohnL wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:59 pm
Burgerbob wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:27 pm Or just start a video with the camera app and watch it afterwards.
I've tried that in similar situations and got great videos of everything but what I really wanted to see. It's much easier when you can see what the camera sees in real time.
Yeah it's tricky getting it lined up to what you want to see. I never thought of the hot spot idea, that has possibilities.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Have you considered a ladder?
afugate

Post by afugate »

Maybe spend a few bucks and get an endoscope/borescope for this? It seems like it would be much easier to maneuver it around on the end of a pole, and might be more useful in general.

-- Andy in OKC
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

afugate wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:05 am Maybe spend a few bucks and get an endoscope/borescope for this? It seems like it would be much easier to maneuver it around on the end of a pole, and might be more useful in general.

-- Andy in OKC
That was my first thought. The only reason I haven't done it is that which ones work with which phones seems very inconsistent, I haven't known which to buy. Still on my to-do list.

what I've done so far: confirmed I can set up a hot spot with an iPhone, downloaded Presence to two phones and confirmed I can see video on one from the other. There is considerable lag as it goes through the wifi to the server and back to the other phone. I downloaded Alfred and Presence, both highly related nanny cams, but could not get Alfred to work. Operator error for sure, but I didn't figure it out.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

timothy42b wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:34 amThere is considerable lag as it goes through the wifi to the server and back to the other phone.
That's because Presence has to go all the way out their servers; a good thing if you want to be able to watch live-ish video from you house when you're away from home (and you wouldn't notice a little lag in that sort of situation). A peer-to-peer solution like EpocCam doesn't offer that capability, but it should have appreciably less lag, since the data never has to leave the little WLAN you've set up with you hotspot. The only drawback is that you need three devices (camera/iPhone, hotspot iPhone, laptop).
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

I was recently inquiring about a webcam on Facebook and here's something a friend responded with. I'm not sure if it'll help in this situation.

"If you have an iPhone or iPad in Zoom you can use those devices to "share screen" via airplay. The rear cameras in both devices, even older ones, are much better than your computer's camera. I've done this for my own lessons, and for virtual trunk shows."
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Can AirPlay send the video to another iPhone/iPad? I've only seen it send video to AppleTV or similar device.
afugate

Post by afugate »

timothy42b wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:34 am
afugate wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:05 am Maybe spend a few bucks and get an endoscope/borescope for this? It seems like it would be much easier to maneuver it around on the end of a pole, and might be more useful in general.

-- Andy in OKC
That was my first thought. The only reason I haven't done it is that which ones work with which phones seems very inconsistent, I haven't known which to buy. Still on my to-do list.
I have a borescope that won't talk to a USB3 connection. At first I thought it was broken and was going to return it. Then I discovered it worked fine when the connection routed through a USB2 hub. So I understand your concern.

If I were to purchase today, I would buy a borescope with built-in wifi. They've come down in price dramatically.

Something like this Depstech model. https://www.amazon.com/DEPSTECH-Waterpr ... B01MYTHWK4

They also have a semi-rigid model that's only a few bucks more. That might be ideal for checking gutters.

--Andy in OKC

Return to “Technology”