iPad versions

BurckhardtS

iPad versions

Post by BurckhardtS »

I’m looking at picking up an iPad soon to replace having to lug around a ton of music, especially since I’m starting to receive more and more music digitally.

I borrowed a friends iPad for a gig some time ago and I found it really useful. For those who have followed the production of the iPads recently I have some questions.

Which iPad version and generation is the best for this purpose? I noticed that they sell the base model way cheaper than they used to and I don’t know how well it holds up, battery life and size wise. Would I better be off pick up a Pro or an older gen used or to buy new one of the cheaper models?
Shires - 7YM, TX, Axial, TW47 - Greg Black NY 1
YSL354 - XT LN106, C+, D3
MalecHeermans

Re: iPad versions

Post by MalecHeermans »

I’ll be interested to see what people are using.

After looking around, and really wanting a large format ereader, I went with the big ipad pro. It has WAY too much processing power to just be a sheet music repository, but it displays a full 8.5X11 sheet without resizing or cropping. Also the battery life is very generous.

I also use it for multitrack recording which it’s really capable for and awesome in that it doesn’t make any internal noise.
afugate

Post by afugate »

I picked up a used first generation 12.9" iPad Pro. It's got plenty of horsepower for music reading and the larger size works well for these aging eyes.

--Andy in OKC
MalecHeermans

Post by MalecHeermans »

Size is definitely a consideration.

What do you all think about eink vs lcd?
afugate

Post by afugate »

MalecHeermans wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:38 pm Size is definitely a consideration.

What do you all think about eink vs lcd?
Is there an e-ink tablet with corresponding software like ForScore? (I've really grown to like ForScore a lot. Now if they would only allow me to cut/paste into a PDF...)

One potential concern with e-ink is the lack of backlighting. Much better in broad daylight, but 95% of my gigs are indoors and it's great to finally ditch my stand light.

--Andy in OKC
KCinAZ

Post by KCinAZ »

I also use a 1st gen 12.9" iPad Pro. It's got 128gb and with a ton of music on it, there is lots of space left. If I were buying today, I'd get one on eBay for ~$300.

ForScore is a great app. I do most of my playing this way these days, especially outside. You don't have to worry about your music blowing away, and here in Arizona where we play outdoors concerts at night, I don't need to bring a light. Everyone else is fighting with close pins, plexiglass, and lights. I get the notes they miss when they turn pages.

Last night I played a church gig on it, and it was so much easier than dealing with a huge book of a 90 separate tunes.
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

I was dumb and bought an iPad Air 2 brand new. With apple care it cost me $500+. I would not recommend that. It's great to have a newer iPad, but unless you're using the device for more than just reading music I would say it's not worth it.

I recently bought a backup iPad Air (refurbished) off of amazon for $150, and have been really happy with it. It was the first time purchasing a somewhat expensive piece of technology refurbished, but I've had zero issues so far. One reason I went with the Air (1) was because the OS wasn't obsolete yet. If you're on a stricter budget I think you can get away with an iPad 2, which has the old charger is under $100.

You can also scope out Facebook marketplace.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
StefanHaller

Post by StefanHaller »

I have been using the 2019 iPad Pro 12.9" for half a year now, and it's awesome. I had used an iPad Air 2 before, and the larger screen of the Pro makes a huge difference; I wouldn't want to go back.

As for processing power: it's true that it is more powerful than needed for just a screen reader, but on the other hand I do have a few PDFs (mostly larger orchestral scores) that take seconds to open on the Air, it's instantaneous on the Pro. Not a huge problem I guess, but still noticeable. Also turning pages can take a noticeable delay on the Air (just a split second, but still), with no noticeable delay on the Pro. If you only use it for parts of a few pages, it's probably not an issue.

The only problem is the price, really, but if you can afford it, it's fantastic.
MalecHeermans

Post by MalecHeermans »

For those using the big ipad pro - are you using a dedicated ipad holder or just putting it on a music stand?
StefanHaller

Post by StefanHaller »

I use a music stand. A very flimsy one might not work well, but a regular K&M is just fine.
afugate

Post by afugate »

StefanHaller wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:41 am I use a music stand. A very flimsy one might not work well, but a regular K&M is just fine.
I use a dedicated holder.

Advantages
  • Easier to transport
  • More room on the bandstand
  • Many more adjustment/angle options
Disadvantages
  • Difficult to play "in the stand" and still read music
  • Additional expense
--Andy in OKC
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

MalecHeermans wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:39 pm For those using the big ipad pro - are you using a dedicated ipad holder or just putting it on a music stand?
It depends what type of gigs you play, but at this point in my life I HATE seeing/playign with a music stand. I either memorize the music or bring an iPad clip for my mic stand. If I'm running clip-on or wireless, I'll still clip it to the mic stand. It's is a slimmer look on stage. Taking away every musicians music stand it a cleaner look.

For the record, I play a lot of funk, brass band (New Orleans) and weddings. Once the stand fronts and music stands left it was a very rewarding and freeing feeling. It got rid of a lot of clutter
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

JLivi wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:39 am I either memorize the music or bring an iPad clip for my mic stand.
You're lucky, I guess. <smiley> At my age, the ability to memorize disappeared at the same time as vision.

I have the Kindle 8 and the 12.9 iPad. the iPad works for music, the Kindle is too small. (The iPad is work issue and I can't use it for this but I've tested it and i can see. I'll probably get one of my own that size.)
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

I have been using a iPad 12.9 for a few months. Easier than carrying around that BIG book of music. I too have decided on a dedicated iPad holder. Like JLivi said, much cleaner look.

It's hard to decide on a holder since there are so many of them out there. Be sure to get the correct one. I just bought these and they look good. The stand is smaller than most so it fits in my mute bad of DOOM. The iPad holder is very light but holds the iPad firmly on each corner. I haven't used them on a gig yet but I do not see why they would not work. The only problem I have is when the leader hands out new sheet music. You have to scan it quickly (easy to do - I use ForScore) since you do not have a stand. I usually just use a stand for practice. That's when new music comes out.

https://caddiebuddy.com/ipad-holder-for-mic-stand/

https://www.airturn.com/products/gostan ... blet-stand
Steve
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078WD2GRD/re ... fEb8HR6ZZA

I have found this type of iPad clip to be the most sturdy.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
bimmerman

Post by bimmerman »

I'm also using a 12.9, but have been debating upgrading to the newest 12.9 for the USB-C benefits....though that's more of using it for laptop replacement than anything else.

I bought mine from Apple's refurbished site. It was still pricey, but was more reasonable.

My biggest issue with the thing is getting music onto it. Short of cutting the spines off the books I have and running it through an auto-scanner, it takes a lot of time to get sheet music PDF'd and uploaded to the ipad.
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

You can scan directly on the iPad with ForScore music software.
Steve
BurckhardtS

Post by BurckhardtS »

FWIW, I Facebook Marketplace'd a used iPad 4th gen, and I have had no issues so far.
Shires - 7YM, TX, Axial, TW47 - Greg Black NY 1
YSL354 - XT LN106, C+, D3
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

BurckhardtS wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:05 am FWIW, I Facebook Marketplace'd a used iPad 4th gen, and I have had no issues so far.
fire
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Tarkus697

Post by Tarkus697 »

I found an iPad Pro 12.9" 1st Gen for $300 on FB Marketplace last year. It's been rock solid and I use ForScore to arrange my setlists for my wedding band, funk band, and concert band gigs. Paired with an iRig BlueTurn footpedal, it's been awesome.
------------------------------------------
Alan W. Verostick
Strangers
Philadelphia Freedom Band
Love City Horns
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

For those using the 12.9”, do you utilize any case or protection for this? Just thinking of how many times stands have been knocked over, I want to try to protect this thing.

Cheers,
Andy
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

My work iPad was issued with an Otterbox. It looks fairly rugged, but I have been careful not to drop it anyway.
ddickerson

Post by ddickerson »

I've been using a first gen iPad pro 12 inch, and another benefit is the ability to scan music directly while they're passing out the music. For best results, use Scanner Pro, but the scan function in Forscore also works good.

Also, you can scan and airdrop to other members of the band.
Kanstul 1550
Kanstul 1606
KCinAZ

Post by KCinAZ »

I've been using the Apple 2-piece case: back cover and front cover. And you want to use a sturdy enough stand (not wire one) or a tablet stand that clamps onto the tablet.
elmsandr wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:35 am For those using the 12.9”, do you utilize any case or protection for this? Just thinking of how many times stands have been knocked over, I want to try to protect this thing.

Cheers,
Andy
afugate

Post by afugate »

elmsandr wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:35 am For those using the 12.9”, do you utilize any case or protection for this? Just thinking of how many times stands have been knocked over, I want to try to protect this thing.

Cheers,
Andy
Yes. I wouldn't go without a case. Accidents happen...
--Andy in OKC
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

I bought the newest ipad with 10.2 inch display and 128G storage. Using an airturn pedal with it. Works and looks great to 68 year old eyes! Don't need bigger because the resolution is fantastic.
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
===============================================
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

Cheers,
Andy
I once seen someone messing with there tablet because the battery was dead knock over there stand into the next stand and take out both tablets. They played the gig sharing one stand with three people. Clarinets.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile

Return to “Technology”