iReal Pro

hyperbolica

iReal Pro

Post by hyperbolica » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:51 pm

I've had iReal Pro on my phone for 2 years now and haven't used it at all. How do you all use it? Where do you get tunes from? How do you amplify it? Any tips for getting started are welcome. Thx.
JLivi

Re: iReal Pro

Post by JLivi » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:27 pm

You can download a jazz standards library from the forum on the app itself.

Also, I use the app on phone/tablet and amplify it through a bluetooth speaker. You can also plug in headphones.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:11 pm

Ok, thx. I downloaded the play lists. That's a big help. Now I'm remembering why it sat idle. There's changes but no melody. Do I have to bring along a Real book? Or is there a setting somewhere to show the melody.?

I should be able to plug my phone into a boom box, which might be loud enough.
SaigonSlide

Post by SaigonSlide » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:37 am

Yeah thats the one thing with iReal Pro: no melodies. Hoping that they add that soon. May be a copyright thing?
Pre59

Post by Pre59 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:28 am

SaigonSlide wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:37 am
Yeah thats the one thing with iReal Pro: no melodies. Hoping that they add that soon. May be a copyright thing?
Absolutely a copyright issue. If copyright was charged on the 2,227 tunes that I have on my app it would cost a lot more than the price of a few drinks.
When fake books appeared back back in the day it was assumed that musicians would learn the melodies by ear, or obtain them though some other source.
There are still printed books that include the tunes at a greater cost.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?source= ... OKsmX2bETQ

...and this is a good read.

https://www.jazzadvice.com/why-you-shou ... ok-player/
JLivi

Post by JLivi » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:28 am

Yeah, no melodies, but it's always added a level of depth to my practicing. I've enjoyed spending time learning the melodies by ear, and then applying them to the play back, while also practicing imporvisation. Also, you don't need the melodies to be able to start blowing.
Matt K

Post by Matt K » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:46 am

It isn't a copyright issue as the application itself doesn't provide even chord changes (as it did when it first started a long, long time ago) for anything other than the blues and a few sample exercises. The reason for that is the publication companies sent a cease and desist because they had titles of their songs built into the app...Now, the changes themselves have to be downloaded from a community maintained list as pointed out by others here. Band-in-a-box has a similar product but it includes the ability to perform melodies. That application likewise includes nothing 'out of the box' (if you'll excuse the pun), but there are ample community generated files that have melodies and chord changes to most of the realbooks. Or even more pertinent, if you had to charge copyright if your application could view copywritten materials... Adobe would be out of business immediately!

The reason that the application doesn't have melodies is that it is purely a chord chart application exclusively. I don't know how useful it would even be to have it on a phone screen anyway. A tablet version would be nice but on both Android and iOS, you can have background apps or side-by-side applications depending on your screen size. So you can purchase (or... find... somewhere) the Hal Leonard books on something like the Kindle store and have one screen up or swap screens if you want the melody. That said, I am a little surprised they haven't added the ability to copy a pdf and associate it with a track.
ddickerson

Post by ddickerson » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:25 am

It's a super app. I use it all the time. You can create your own chord progressions also. Sets up a good background play along music for your practice. You should learn how to play the melodies by ear anyway. Then, improvise off of the melodies.

You can turn on/off any of the instruments. i turn off the piano when I'm practicing the piano, and I turn it on when I practice the trombone. Handy tool.
Kanstul 1550
Kanstul 1606

Return to “Technology”