mic recommendations for amateur recording?

meliant

mic recommendations for amateur recording?

Post by meliant »

I’m just looking for a solid mic that would be good for recording auditions and such for like all state. Thanks!
BGuttman

Re: mic recommendations for amateur recording?

Post by BGuttman »

A Shure SM-57 is a great mic if you have all the other components of your recording setup.

If you need everything, consider the Zoom H2.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

What sort of music are you wanting to record?

I second the Zoom if you just want an easy way in. I’m a bit sceptical about the SM-57, I find it pretty edgy and ugly sounding on trombone.

If you wanted the next step up from the Zoom you will need
an interface between the mic and your computer, the single channel Audient is great, then you have access to these;

Cheap Chinese ribbon microphones can be fantastic; Apex 210

For jazz or pop, especially if your room is a bit noisy or not great sounding a dynamic mic can be good; Shure SM7b, Sennheiser 421

Generally in studios a condenser is the norm though; Rode NT1, Audio Technica 2020

These are all cheap/mid level options that work well.
I have a sennheiser 441 and the AEA N8, these cost more but cover most trombone bases well I think :)
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Mic placement and your room is probably more important than what mic you end up with. If the room you have is good, go for an omni-pattern condenser of some sort, rather than a vocal mic. The Line Audio OM1 is pretty good value for your money.

If your room is terrible, you'll get a better audition if you invest in a few acoustic panels, a cardiod pattern condenser, and a decent reverb plugin.
meliant

Post by meliant »

Alright, thank you guys for the input. My room's sound isn't great, so I think I'll get some acoustic panels first and then go for a mic. I'm mostly looking to record bass trombone for my auditions.
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

A good Friend of mine, Dr.David Begnoche at TCU, compiled a nice list of home recording gear which I have attached.
Recording-Gear-list-Summer-2020.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

Return to “Technology”