Tuning app for phone

EriKon

Tuning app for phone

Post by EriKon »

The title ;)

Any experiences if there are any tuning apps for smartphone which are better than others, especially for brass instruments?

TIA!
piezer

Re: Tuning app for phone

Post by piezer »

I recently bought TotalEnergy Tuner and wouldn’t go back to anything else. It’s well worth the 3 or so dollars. It has a built in metronome and you can record yourself within the app.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I've been using something called "n-Track Tuner". It also will play drones, but the tone quality is kinda odd. Best thing? It's free. Another thing I like is that it will give a sort of spectral display of the note. Not terribly important for tuning but interesting nonetheless.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

tunable and tonal energy are the top picks by far. I prefer tunable myself, but...

I prefer to just use a physical Korg tuner, and keep the phone away from my practice for less distraction. The farther my phone is, the better and more productive I am.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Burgerbob wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:49 am tunable and tonal energy are the top picks by far. I prefer tunable myself, but...

I prefer to just use a physical Korg tuner, and keep the phone away from my practice for less distraction. The farther my phone is, the better and more productive I am.
I guess there's the generation gap at work. I don't live on my phone, even though I use it for more things than a lot of folks of my generation (Baby Boomers). I can have a tuner on the phone and it's useful. I also use the timer. But I don't spend a lot of time texting or playing games on it. Full disclosure: I own 3 Korg tuners and have used them as well.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
muschem

Post by muschem »

I use iStroboSoft (https://www.petersontuners.com/products/istrobosoft/) for tuning on my iPad, paired with a RØDE directional mic (https://rode.com/en/microphones/mobile/videomic-me-c). My iPad has USB-C, but RØDE also makes a version with Apple's lightning connector (https://rode.com/en/microphones/mobile/videomic-me-l), as well as a version with a 3.5mm connector (https://rode.com/en/microphones/mobile/videomic-me). I find the unidirectional mic is helpful when tuning in an ensemble, but the phone/tablet omnidirectional mic works pretty well if you're tuning in a practice room/studio.

iStroboSoft costs a bit more than TonalEnergy, but it's produced by Peterson, and I like the familiar strobe display. For drones, I use the Drone Tuner app (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/drone-tuner/id1326016622).
Last edited by muschem on Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
Williamson County Symphony Orchestra
DaveAshley

Post by DaveAshley »

TonalEnergy is a marvelous app for tuning. It has many features that I wished I'd had a long time ago. Check out some YouTube videos about the features and how to use them. (DRONES!!! :clever: )
I've always had pretty good ears, but MAN that app took them to the next level!

iStroboSoft is also great. It's probably the best if you want a visual display of your pitch. I've come to prefer using my ears with drones, but ISS certainly comes in handy for spot checks.

It's not a tuning app, but Politonus is also absolutely indispensable, IMO. Serious musicians who aren't using an ear-training app are doing themselves a disservice - ESPECIALLY jazz musicians!
afugate

Post by afugate »

DaveAshley wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:22 am It's not a tuning app, but Politonus is also absolutely indispensable, IMO. Serious musicians who aren't using an ear-training app are doing themselves a disservice - ESPECIALLY jazz musicians!
This was new to me. I've used GoodEar in the past, but this looks more useful.

--Andy in OKC
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Are any of these war training apps voice controlled?
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Burgerbob wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:49 am I prefer to just use a physical Korg tuner, and keep the phone away from my practice for less distraction. The farther my phone is, the better and more productive I am.
:good:
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

I have been using Cleartune. It is either free or cheaper than dirt. It does everything I need it to.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

There was a neat app called Flutini, but it looks like it’s defunct now.

http://www.novasession.org/flutini.html#.YvFE7S9lCfA

It would record while you played, and then give a read out of what you played. You could get info like your E2’s were 60% in tune, 30% were flat, and 10% were sharp. I’ll see if I can find a current version.

Does anyone know of any current apps like this?
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
heldenbone

Post by heldenbone »

If you browse Fdroid.org (android only, sorry) you can find a variety of tuners with differing interfaces, as well as other stuff useful to musicians;

Semitone - tuner-metronome-piano, Rehearsal - recorder, Audio - audio spectrum display, Wavepad - audio file editor, Practice Hub - Tuner-Metronome-Drone, Cythara - Tuner, Tunerly - tuner, Tuner - strobe-style tuner, numerous metronome apps.
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Real Time Tuning Analysis (RTTA) is the app that replaced Flutini. Here is a link that describes the app: http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/RTTA.htm

You’ll find links at the bottom of the page for iPhones and Android.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
meliant

Post by meliant »

I think others have recommended it already, but my favorite is Tonal Energy. It’s simple and has a ton of nice features. The only downside is the $3.99, but I think it’s worth.
rizzo67

Post by rizzo67 »

Burgerbob wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:49 am tunable and tonal energy are the top picks by far. I prefer tunable myself, but...

I use an old phone with no sim card inside, so there is not more distraction as with an physical tuner. Also there is no possibility to load advertising.
The tuner I prefer is called pano tuner, quite fine visual apperance, not with a needle, more like a band speedometer so you can gliss without the gap from one tone to the next.
heldenbone

Post by heldenbone »

These days I'm in general agreement with Aidan about distractions. My practice sessions already look like Short Attention Span Theatre. The clip-on tuner I have been using was recommended elsewhere; I think in a different TromboneChat thread. It is a d'Addario 'cello and bass tuner supposedly better attuned to low notes. It seems to discern my grungy bass trombone pedals and double-trigger notes better than others I've tried:

It uses the ubiquitous single CR2032 coin cell for power. I compared it to three different generations of Korg tuners, a handful of "Fender" labeled chinese imports, a Seiko clip-on, and numerous Android apps installed on a Samsung S10E phone. YMMV - Cheers.
Chiptingle

Post by Chiptingle »

I like APTuner on my iPhone, a free strobe tuner that hasn’t let me down.
FerdHA

Post by FerdHA »

I use "Tuner T1" on Android. Visual feedback looks like a sideways ECG, great for making sure vibrato is even.

Return to “Technology”