Your favorite bass bone hand brace?

Fruitysloth

Your favorite bass bone hand brace?

Post by Fruitysloth »

Hey everyone,

Just picked up a Conn/Bach Frankenbass from DJ Kennedy, modified by Benn Hanson, and I love it! I'm looking to get some form of handstrap/brace for it. I'm looking at the Sheridan Get-A-Grip primarily, and I have a Yamaha hand strap that I'd like to try if I can find it, I was wondering if there were some other good options that I'm missing. For the ones that are model-specific, the base model is a Conn 83H. Let me know what your thoughts are! Thanks for taking the time to help a bass doubler out!
Trombone Forum User "Jhungate96"
Burgerbob

Re: Your favorite bass bone hand brace?

Post by Burgerbob »

Get a grip is my favorite, but doesn't always work on Conns due to the smaller size of the tubing where it attaches. I use a Yamaha strap on my Conn.

Neotech is also an option that is very cheap. I use two on different tenors. It may not work as well on all basses, but I liked it on the greenhoe 62 I had for a bit.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
fsgazda

Post by fsgazda »

I use a get-a-grip on my tenor and the neotech on my bass. Best 2 that I've tried.
Frank S. Gazda
Professor of Music, Delaware State University
Freelance Low Brass, Mid-Atlantic
www.firststatebrass.com
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

I hear get a grip is awesome, but I didn't want to shell out the money for one. So I got a wise grip and love it. It's not perfect, but I like it a lot for the 10 times I play bass trombone every year.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I have Getagrip and Neotech on different basses. Prefer Getagrip because it is more comfortable, interferes less with the levers, and is more easily removed. Plus it fits better in the case without the Neotech piece clamped to the slide.
Wilco

Post by Wilco »

Hagmann handbrace for an ultimate fit to the hand. Very easy to disassemble to get the instrument in and out of the case. not cheap...
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

GetaGrip did not fit on my bass trombones at all, but the Neotech grip works like a charm.
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
===============================================
Specialk3700

Post by Specialk3700 »

I really like the neotech. I used it when I had a TR181 and now on my edwards
Engineering student with a trombone problem.
Edwards B454
Shires Bravo
Yamaha 354
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

Neotech!
Dave

2014 Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
SirJohn

Post by SirJohn »

Has anyone tried the Instrument Innovations Ax Handle? My son wants a grip for his bass, but he wants a real grip rather than a strap style.
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

SirJohn wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:31 pm Has anyone tried the Instrument Innovations Ax Handle? My son wants a grip for his bass, but he wants a real grip rather than a strap style.
I have one on my tenor and I do not like it anywhere near as much as a Get a Grip. Alot better than nothing and cheaper than a bullet brace but not worth imho.
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

SirJohn wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:31 pm Has anyone tried the Instrument Innovations Ax Handle? My son wants a grip for his bass, but he wants a real grip rather than a strap style.
Great product. My friend got one and he really digs it. I like it more than the Bullet Brace.

If anything is wrong with the Ax brace or if it doesn't fit your horn the Olsens will work with you to either do a refund or make a brace that fits your horn! They're absolutely fantastic to work with!
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
EZSlider

Post by EZSlider »

I use the Rath grip and found it just alright on my 50A3 until I made a leather cover for it.. Now it is awesome... I think some slightly better quality foam would bring it to another level.
EZ
SirJohn

Post by SirJohn »

mrdeacon wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:50 am
Great product. My friend got one and he really digs it. I like it more than the Bullet Brace.

If anything is wrong with the Ax brace or if it doesn't fit your horn the Olsens will work with you to either do a refund or make a brace that fits your horn! They're absolutely fantastic to work with!
Mv2541 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:16 am I have one on my tenor and I do not like it anywhere near as much as a Get a Grip. Alot better than nothing and cheaper than a bullet brace but not worth imho.
Thanks guys. I think I have convinced him to at least try the Neotech first before going to this. This is on a Yamaha 613.
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

SirJohn wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:30 pm
mrdeacon wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:50 am

Mv2541 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:16 am I have one on my tenor and I do not like it anywhere near as much as a Get a Grip. Alot better than nothing and cheaper than a bullet brace but not worth imho.
Thanks guys. I think I have convinced him to at least try the Neotech first before going to this. This is on a Yamaha 613.
Anytime, that's what the forum is for right? Just to clarify I do not think the ax handles is bad in any way; I just really really think the get a grips are fantastic (and cheaper). One thing is the get a grip leather can wear, but admittedly the ax handle is still in great shape after a few years. Maybe because the g-a-g doesn't stay on the horn so it makes contact with whatever you have in the pockets with it?
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

A few grip questions.
First, does the Get A Grip stay attached to the horn when you set it down, and can it be made to fit a Conn 72H?
Second, my 72H has two gussets. One in front and one behind the brace. Will a Neotech grip fit it?
Thanks!
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Fitting a GAG so it doesn’t interfere with triggers can be an issue.
aasavickas

Post by aasavickas »

The instrument innovations handle is great. Nice folks and good price. I use it on my tenor.

For my bass I use a Kanstul Contrabass hand rest. It needs a couple metal shims to be the proper diameter to attach to the brace. The nice thing it is attaches without having to solder it. Just tighten it on and easy on off if you need to remove it to throw in the case.

https://www.hornguys.com/products/kanst ... and-rest-1

The hand-rest goes for $150.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I've got both the Get A Grip and the Neotech installed on different instruments. I prefer the Get A Grip, and put it on the bass I use most, but I can see that some people might have trouble adjusting it (basically bending aluminum). A bench vise and maybe some channel locks are really the best tools to adjust it. Get a Grip removes from your horn easily and can reinstall on another instrument quickly. I think the padded leather covering is very comfortable.

I posted this image in the wrong thread earlier: a get a grip on a 72h, for those asking:

Neotech is a little fussy to adjust - unscrew, disassemble, adjust, reassemble, screw together, rinse, repeat. You have to mess with it to get it just right, but once it's set, you don't have to mess with it any more. If you have small hands, it might also leave your hand too far from a second valve lever. Plus, the Neotech might not fit in your case, depending on your case. It is adjustable across the back of the hand, with velcro, which is an advantage over some of the other straps out there. I think the big attraction is that it's cheap.

This was also posted to the wrong thread, a Neotech base piece mounted on a 72h.

If you go all the way to an Ergobone, I encourage you to get the long stick that reaches the floor instead of the harness or chair stick. The long stick is the one that I use. It's very unwieldy, and the mount is poorly thought out, but when you're playing it really does the job. It's basically the only way I can keep playing bass trombone. It's like the peg on a cimbasso without the cimbasso.
Last edited by hyperbolica on Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ngrinder

Post by ngrinder »

bigbandbone wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:35 am A few grip questions.
First, does the Get A Grip stay attached to the horn when you set it down, and can it be made to fit a Conn 72H?
Second, my 72H has two gussets. One in front and one behind the brace. Will a Neotech grip fit it?
Thanks!
I’ve found the get a grip doesn’t fit older Conns and Holtons very well due to the spacing of the slide braces.

Has anyone with these horns modded their instruments or the g-a-g itself so that it fits?

Return to “Accessories”