need a new trombone amp

baileyman

need a new trombone amp

Post by baileyman »

There are a couple situations I play in regularly that are loud. Loud means if I play to match the amped players I fell like I'm blowing my brains out. And there's very little my trombone does at those volumes other than a Chicago bah bah bah. There seems to be no chance of getting guitar, piano, drums, bass to observe the golden rule--if you cannot hear everyone individually, you're too loud. Yet I enjoy the time in the style.

So I'm looking for an amp (have a good mic) to use to reinforce my sound.

Ideally this thing should specialize in trombone frequencies, roll around like luggage, but self power is not necessary.

Any ideas?
2bobone

Re: need a new trombone amp

Post by 2bobone »

Yeah ! Get an amp with "11" on the volume control --- or put together another group !
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I would think a PA-type set-up would work best. Bose, Mackie are names that come to mind.
cmcslide

Post by cmcslide »

I've played in plenty of those types of situations. Mostly I just ran a mic to the PA. The danger in having your own amp is that you'll turn up and that will encourage everybody else to turn up, which means you'll want to turn up again... The times that I did run my own amp, it wasn't for volume, but to use my own effects processor.
TheSheriff

Post by TheSheriff »

baileyman wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 5:17 pm There are a couple situations I play in regularly that are loud. Loud means if I play to match the amped players I fell like I'm blowing my brains out. And there's very little my trombone does at those volumes other than a Chicago bah bah bah. There seems to be no chance of getting guitar, piano, drums, bass to observe the golden rule--if you cannot hear everyone individually, you're too loud. Yet I enjoy the time in the style.

So I'm looking for an amp (have a good mic) to use to reinforce my sound.

Ideally this thing should specialize in trombone frequencies, roll around like luggage, but self power is not necessary.

Any ideas?
====

Check out Quilter Labs.

=====
Lawler model 1
Lawler model 2
Lawler Model 3
Williams 6
Williams L
Kanstul 1606
Conn 71H
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

I'm think about this one:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer/ ... %7CClickCP

It rolls, pretty light, probably loud enough for one horn. Thx.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

baileyman wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:35 pm I'm think about this one:
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer/ ... %7CClickCP
It rolls, pretty light, probably loud enough for one horn. Thx.
For these applications, you probably don't care much about sound fidelity - but I think the microphone is the key link in this chain. A bad mic will seriously misrepresent the sound of a trombone. According to one of the reviewers, "the [wireless Bluetooth] microphone that comes with this unit is pretty cheesy ..." You might want to also invest in a better mic if this is important to you. :idk:
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Posaunus wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:26 pm ... You might want to also invest in a better mic if this is important to you. :idk:
Well, yes. I'm using a Hammond Hammer on recommendation of the best player I know of. The recorded sound from it is terrific.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Keyboard amp strapped to a folding two wheel cart?
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Jmac

Post by Jmac »

I would think a bass amp might do the trick. Mark Bass makes some small portable stuff. Buy used.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I've used a small GK bass amp.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Pre59

Post by Pre59 »

cmcslide wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:40 pm I've played in plenty of those types of situations. Mostly I just ran a mic to the PA. The danger in having your own amp is that you'll turn up and that will encourage everybody else to turn up, which means you'll want to turn up again...
+1 And here's a link to another topic that has some bearing...

https://www.trombonechat.com/viewtopic. ... 481#p85481

Return to “Accessories”