New case for Holton TR-185

eatanick

New case for Holton TR-185

Post by eatanick »

Hi all,

I'm looking for case suggestions for my Holton TR-185. Unfortunately, my local music stores don't have any in stock to try! I've been using a Bonna soft case, but the zips are almost dead and the fit is a little tight due to the awkward wrap of the slot in valve.

Does anyone have any suggestions or knowledge of what definitely does/doesn't fit? I'm not interested in a true soft case - the Bonna "soft case" I've been using is almost entirely rigid.

For reference, the second valve slide on my horn has been lengthened to D using the original bow (no funky bends a la Dave Taylor's 169) and the linkage has been split/modernised, too.

Cheers!
ngrinder

Re: New case for Holton TR-185

Post by ngrinder »

I have the same horn! I know you said you’re not interested in a soft case, but the only case I found that works is a Cronkhite G bag, using the moveable piece of velcro’d foam to nestle the D valve slide snugly. Many of the other cases I looked into seemed to require disassembly of the valve for it to fit in the case, or put too much pressure on the D slide.

Anyway, this is not a very helpful post I suppose, but good luck!
Specialk3700

Post by Specialk3700 »

Could you post a few pictures of it. I think that would help everyone get a idea if it will fit in a case.
Engineering student with a trombone problem.
Edwards B454
Shires Bravo
Yamaha 354
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Like so.

Maybe just a new MB soft case?
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

My guess would be a standard Bonna case or you'll be forced to use a Cronkhite. Standard Bonna might have the same clearance issues though.

For what it's worth... the new Cronkhite cases are awesome. They've got even denser foam than the originals!
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB

Return to “Accessories”