Shipping a gig bag

pompatus

Shipping a gig bag

Post by pompatus »

Much of the time, shipping a case or trombone is immediately costly because of the size of the box.

Do you think it would be damaging to fold a gig bag to fit in a smaller box? Would the foam padding be permanently creased? Would the gig bag be able to resume its original shape upon unpacking?

Thanks, for your insight! This is something I’ve been made curious about a couple of different times that I’ve seen good deals available.
BGuttman

Re: Shipping a gig bag

Post by BGuttman »

Depends on the gig bag. I got an old Reunion Blues bag that was missing the slide insert folded up and it seemed to be OK. Those $20 Chinese bags are shipped folded up as well.

Someone else sent me a gig bag with two shipping tags tied to the handles and a label taped to the bag. No box. Got here fine.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
greenbean

Re: Shipping a gig bag

Post by greenbean »

1. If a gig bag doesn't have a rigid insert for the slide... it isn't worth shipping. Just drop it at the local landfill!

2. I have bought two tubas bags in recent months (yes, Goetz bags from Germany!) and they arrived folded in half. No problem.

3. I have shipped trombone cases and bags w/o a box. The key is to affix your label to a piece of cardboard, be generous with packing tape so it is almost "laminated," and then attach it to the case/bad handle with a zip tie.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns

Return to “Accessories”