Trombone grips

PaulT

Trombone grips

Post by PaulT »

I have just started playing a F-attachment trombone and the new grip it requires feels a little less secure than my straight horn grip. I sometimes feel like I would like to have something a little more substantial and less slippery to hold on to. I have noticed some trombone players using various types of grips and wraps. Comments on trombone wraps, various types, pros and cons would be greatly appreciated.

I have done some grip googling:

- any comments on the Neotech grip? Great or Clunky?

- leather support post wraps (like the Griego)? Good enough?

- I am considering perhaps trying the grip wrap tape sold in sporting goods store (often used for over-wrapping tennis racquet grips in lieu of leather grips.

Grips good? Good grips?
Burgerbob

Re: Trombone grips

Post by Burgerbob »

Neotech is good. I actually use mine on my 3B.

I prefer the Sheridan Brass Get-A-Grip on basses and large tenors.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

Love the Neotech, feels much more secure.
Dave

2020ish? Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I use all of the above on different instruments. I like cork bicycle handle bar wrap. Neo grip might change the way your horn fits in the case, but has lots of adjustment options. Depending on your instrument, a bullet brace might be helpful. I like the getagrip because it is removable and reusable on other horns.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

I use the Neo tech and have had great results, but the slide doesn't fit in the original case anymore; I have to use a gig bag. I don't like the get a grip because it tends to deaden the feeling of the instrument vibrating in my hands. I like that feedback.
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

Thanks, all.

I googled for information on the "Get a Grip"... and I found a YouTube on it from "Burgerbob" himself!

So, I grabbed a beer, made some popcorn, and settled in for the show!

(I thought it was pretty cool)
Crazytrombonist505

Post by Crazytrombonist505 »

+1 on the Sheridan get-a-grip. Works great for me!
BflatBass

Post by BflatBass »

Anyone use the other kind of "grip" that allows you to wrap your thumb around a small post or bar? Like the Curtis Thumb Rest or the Instrument Innovation Ax Handle Brace.

Robert
I dream of the day that the world will be healthy enough that I can play in a live ensemble again.
pompatus

Post by pompatus »

The Ax Handle brace has been fantastic for me and on my trombones. If the horn is balanced well front-to-back and side-to-side, it should work great.

The Ax Handle comes with a variety of pads and 3 of the thumb post braces, so that you can find what works for you. You can also purchase extra of the clamp parts to use with the spare thumb braces.

Instrument Innovations, as a company, has been incredible to work with from a customer perspective, and will go out of their way to make sure you're satisfied. I know it almost sounds like a paid advertisement, but they really go the extra mile to make the customer happy, and I'm happy to pass the word along.
BflatBass

Post by BflatBass »

pompatus wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:00 pm The Ax Handle brace has been fantastic for me and on my trombones. If the horn is balanced well front-to-back and side-to-side, it should work great.
Do you use it on a bone with an F attachment? I just bought a Conn 88HO and I'm wondering about the room between the trigger hinge and the bell on the bell brace. That's where the ax handle clamp fits and the 88HO has limited room here.

Cheers,
Robert
I dream of the day that the world will be healthy enough that I can play in a live ensemble again.
pompatus

Post by pompatus »

BflatBass wrote: Do you use it on a bone with an F attachment?
I do. I’ve used it on Bach 42T as well as 42BO and it’s been great on both. There is enough variation in the three support pieces they send to fit most horns, and they will custom bend the piece to work for your situation if you have trouble with the stock configurations.

Instrument Innovations may be able to tell you if it’ll fit or not, it’s worth it to give them a shout. Their customer service is incredible.
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

I use a NeoTech. I tried a bullet brace. Took forever to get positioned and then the horn would not fit in the case unless the bullet brace handle was removed. It also added too much pressure on my hand in a weird way. The NeoTech has lots of adjustments and the actual grip part is removable and can be used on different horns. The part on the slide stays in place.

And it's pretty cheap to try. If you do try it be sure to spend the time to adjust it. That makes a BIG difference in feel and functionality. I use mine on a 88H.
Steve
Ski001

Post by Ski001 »

I've got an Ax Handle on my 88H- perfect! Feels the same as wrapping the thumb around the brace on a straight horn. The horn fits in my standard Conn case with the Ax Handle on without problems, also.

Neotech worked very well also, slightly different grip on the horn, but you get used to it. I like the Ax Handle better- feels more natural.

Return to “Accessories”