Placing cleaning rod in case?

Gary

Placing cleaning rod in case?

Post by Gary »

I have a simple-minded question. Novice stuff, for sure, so . . . apologies.
I just got an SKB 360 case and don't see a place where I would store the cleaning rod. Any suggestions? Thanks.
ghmerrill

Re: Placing cleaning rod in case?

Post by ghmerrill »

Well, I for one, don't ever put my cleaning rod in my case. That really simplifies the problem for me.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K10/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Same here. I have never needed a rod in my case. You should keep it where you are likely to use it - kitchen, bathroom, garage, etc.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Instead of packing around a cleaning rod (which can damage your trombone if it gets loose in the case) I use an HW Products Brass-Saver Trombone Brush. Also available in "Tuba" size - which works well for large-bore and bass trombones.
https://www.amazon.com/HW-H-BSTB-Brass- ... r+trombone

These are magical - can be used to gently clean and dry the inside of both inner and outer slides - even the bell section (will slip right through your F-attachment valve!). And they are small and squishable, so can be carried in any trombone case. Highly recommended.

I do use a cleaning rod (with a bedsheet strip wrapped around it or with a Slide-O-Mix towel sheath) for final drying and polishing when I put my trombones to bed at home - but to be honest, most of the job is done with the Brass-Saver.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

The brass saver doesn't do nearly as good a job as a cleaning rod.

Some of us do have to clean our trombones on the move, and need a place to keep it!

The 360 legitimately doesn't have any room, though.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

Some cases do have a slot for a cleaning rod. I remember owning a Yamaha case many years ago that had this. But, if the case doesn't, I wouldn't risk trying to find a place for it when there's a risk of having the rod poke a hole in the bell if the case gets dropped.

I don't think there's really any better option than to get a different case or to carry a snake in your mute bag.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
Gary

Post by Gary »

Thanks, folks. Gary.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

My standard cleaning rods are too long for my small French cases. But they're too long for the slide, too. So I whack 'em off at a better length and wrap gaffer tape around the butt to make a handle. Fits great. Less filling.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Thanks, folks.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Does no one make a multi-section screw-together rod for this purpose? Surely a rifle-cleaning rod of the appropriate caliber (say 5-7mm-ish) would work? You'd just need to be sure it was multi-section, sturdy (stainles steel or good brass -- not aluminum) and long enough, or modifiable by shortening. There seem to be a bunch of these on the market.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

ghmerrill wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:47 pm Does no one make a multi-section screw-together rod for this purpose? Surely a rifle-cleaning rod of the appropriate caliber (say 5-7mm-ish) would work? You'd just need to be sure it was multi-section, sturdy (stainles steel or good brass -- not aluminum) and long enough, or modifiable by shortening. There seem to be a bunch of these on the market.
I use a shotgun rod that comes in 3 sections. But you have to be careful. If you rotate the rod the wrong way during the cleaning process you can leave one or two sections jammed in the outer slide. You have to always rotate in the direction to tighten the screws (clockwise).

Then again, finding someplace to store your individual sections may still be a problem with some cases.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
afugate

Post by afugate »

I don't recall how the SKB holds the hand slide, but would it be possible to wrap the cleaning rod and store it in the slide itself? (Note for newbies.... This might be a terrible idea!)

--Andy in OKC
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

I think that storing ANYTHING (except maybe an extra pair of socks) in the bell is a terrible idea -- but that doesn't seem to be a universal attitude.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

afugate wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:44 am ... would it be possible to wrap the cleaning rod and store it in the slide itself? (Note for newbies.... This might be a terrible idea!)
--Andy in OKC
Yes, I think this is a bad idea. :horror:

Always think about the worst thing that can happen - in this case a downward impact of the vertically-oriented case, which could propel the rod (no matter how carefully wrapped) through the slide crook! :weep:

If you must carry a long cleaning rod with you (I'm still happy with my HW Products Brass-Saver brush), stow it outside of your compact case. I also tuck a micro-fiber cleaning cloth into my bell to wipe off and dry my trombone before I latch the case. My bells and slides are clean, dry, and shiny.

Return to “Accessories”