SKB straight tenor case

Harpcat

SKB straight tenor case

Post by Harpcat »

I just rec’d the subject case for a small bore horn. Seems to be a nice, sturdy, lightweight case for the money. However, it has two small accessory compartments with lids. Neither lid will close completely when I lay a mouthpiece in it. Have others come up with a hack to solve this problem? I assume that it’s just foam under the felt so I considered simply drilling hole to accept the mp shanks but I don’t want to destroy the lining.
Thanks!
Jay
Pre59

Re: SKB straight tenor case

Post by Pre59 »

I have an SKB 360 which is the narrow plastic model. The compartment lid doesn't quite go down flat when I lay my m/p (DW 9BS)down, but I can't imagine a situation where drilling is going help in any way.
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I have "adjusted" foam cases covered in cloth with the ball of a ball peen hammer. Instead of striking, you can simply push it into the foam to stretch the space.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Mine don't quite lay flat, but it doesn't seem like it would hurt anything to close the case on them anyway.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Driswood

Post by Driswood »

On small cases like that, I would put my mpc in a mpc case, wrap it in a sock, and put it in the bell.
Jerry Walker

Happily Retired :good:

1957 Conn 6H
Schilke 47B
1989 Yamaha YSL-684G
Bach 6 3/4C
SteveFoote

Post by SteveFoote »

SKB360. The material (foam?) under the cloth lining was soft enough for me to compress it with my thumb. I pushed down in the corner closest to the latch and made a dent sufficient to allow the lid to close with the mouthpiece in place.
You cannot put the mouthpiece in a pouch.
There is enough room for a spray bottle 1-1/4" dia X 5" long (available at Wal-Mart) to be placed in the compartment at an angle. This prevents the mouthpiece from rattling around and possibly getting damaged.
The larger compartment works for glasses.
If you don't have a shoulder strap, get one. This makes the whole kit easy to carry and frees both hands to carry anything else and open doors at the same time.
King 3B Silver Sonic, Olds Opera, Conn 72H
Trav1s

Post by Trav1s »

I recently picked one of these up for less than $90 for one of my vintage Conns, hopefully the 80H (78H) and I wanted to share what I experienced.

24H - very natural fit for the horn (no real surprise)

32H Burkle - bell fit easily, the longer slide took some gentle pressure to fit. I think over time it would be a good fit and would protect the horn quite well.

80H (post-elkhart 78H with red brass bell) - 8" Bell was a bit snug but workable. The width of the slide (used my 79H slide since the 80H slide is at the doctor) was more of the challenge. The inner case would need modified/compressed for the slide to work in it. The longer slide was also a challenge but workable.
Travis B.
Trombone player since 1986 and Conn-vert since 2006
1961 24H - LT101/C+/D2
1969 79H - LT102/D/D4
1972 80H - Unicorn
Benge 165F LT102/F+/G8
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

I wouldn't (and don't) keep my mouthpieces for any of my instruments in anything other than highly protective mouthpiece cases/pouches. And I definitely don't keep them in the instrument compartment of any case. It doesn't take much -- if a case is accidentally jarred or dropped -- for a mouthpiece to inflict a severe dent in the instrument. And perhaps the WORST idea (at least in a lot of cases) is to put the mouthpiece in one of those built-in "mouthpiece holder" things which is basically a shank hole in the case -- and which may decide to hold it secure, or not. Maybe there's some good reason for some people to keep their mouthpieces inside the horn case itself, but I don't see it. And maybe there are more expensive and well-designed cases with mouthpiece holders that work. I don't have one of those.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K10/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

The spot in the SKB is very small and is held closed by the entire lid. There's no chance for it come out while the case is closed.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Pre59

Post by Pre59 »

Burgerbob wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:13 pm The spot in the SKB is very small and is held closed by the entire lid. There's no chance for it come out while the case is closed.
I agree, for the m/p to "escape" from its receptacle, the case would have to be completely bent out of shape, or the clasps opened.

http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/ ... =&c=108&s=
Cmillar

Post by Cmillar »

I use this case with my horn (Bach 16) without problem.

Sometimes I'll just put the mouthpiece is one of the compartments along with a lube or slide cleaner or whatever. It's fine. Never gets loose inside the case.

Return to “Accessories”